Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,196 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum and having been reading other people's posts. I am looking to move out of Irvine, CA. and the area I am interested in most is Sandy, UT.

My name is Bethany and Im 26. Im currently engaged to my longtime guy. I usually get along with most people in most places. I am mostly conservative and vote republican and attend church but I also like some rock concerts, am pro animal rights, and have some tattoos. I dont drink, do drugs, or smoke. I work 45+ hours a week as a telemarketer and make $45,000/year. The rent for a one bedroom in my area is $1800/month+. 2 bedrooms cost about $2300/month. And a little studio cost about $1500/month. You pay a LOT to be close to a community college and university and lots of businesses and the sunny weather.

For how expensive Irvine is the city is actually not even that new and you are not even on a beach. I feel for the money it cost to live here I could get a lot more somewhere else. My finacee is open to moving anywhere I want to go and we have been talking about Sandy UT a lot.

I flew up to visit one time and ate at the Mayan place and saw the mall and stayed at a simple hotel (and got lost driving around most of the time!) I also visited the grocery store, wal mart, ross, starbucks. Just the basic things. I didnt really know what to look at or for and I only had the weekend to look at things, including travel time. I went in the spring also.

Now Im planning another trip to see UT in the winter time with my finacee. I want to make the most of my trip as I will only be there for another weekend (since we both cant miss time away from work). We want to fit in looking at some apartments in Sandy while we are there. Can you please suggest what are the nicest apartments you know of in Sandy for us to look at? The most upscale, safe area, apartments? Also are there any attractions we should look at while we are there?

Mostly we would like to know the major pros of the city and the major cons. We like that Sandy is near schools, malls, and is close to surrounding cities, has affording housing, and higher annual income (according to reports that are listed), and lower unemployment.
Our cons would be living in the snow and driving in the snow, inversions (we have heard a little bit about) and possibly needing to buy snow tires, not being LDS, and finding new jobs.

We thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
While there are separate cities in the valley, it's mostly just one huge urban sprawl. It's hard to know which city you are in if you aren't paying attention. There's no need to concentrate on Sandy alone!

Unless you really like driving to work, find the job first and then the apartment.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Why Sandy specifically? There are a lot of awesome cities up and down the Wasatch Front that are terrific!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:07 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Sandy does lack for apartment living. The only complex I know is on the frontage road of the I-15. And on State Street. And there are homes in my (foothill) neighborhood that are rentals (but only because they didn't sell).

What I would be concerned about - you will not make $45K in a telemarketing job in Utah. You'll be lucky to make $10 an hour. If you don't have a job lined up - that also will be problematic. The recession is real here. Same for your fiance.

However, in your favor - there are foreclosures and short sales all over the valley. Interest rates couldn't be lower. If you have enough for a downpayment - I'd buy a house.

And the others are right - there are great neighborhoods all throughout the valley.

When you come - you need to go up into the canyons and experience why many of us live here. No ocean - but mountains to die for.

Don't spend your time at the malls....

Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,224 times
Sandy has a few apartment complexes, check apartments.com, or ksl.com

Sandy is just a large suburb of Salt Lake. It's considered a bit of a 'higher end' suburb I suppose, along with South Jordan.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
All you need to know are 3 words

RIO
TINTO
STADIUM

Nuff said.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM

21 posts, read 48,162 times
We've lived in several cities in Utah over the past 30 years and there is a difference. We lived in Murray which borders Salt Lake and really didn't like it. Provo and Utah County in general are great. We're in South Jordan now and love the area. South Jordan borders Sandy. Look at the map. I think just about anywhere from Sandy and to the south or Sandy are great. Job wise though, make sure you have something lined up before coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area