U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 47,972 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am relocating to Murray UT from out of state. I have visited UT only once before. I did like it very much. It was a bit cold compared to the warm weather Im used to but it was beautiful, great mountain views. Im a consevative church-going person so I think I will fit in to some extent. I dont have children and Im not mormon so I know everyone wont like me, but thats okay. I keep to myself mostly, I work full time and go to college part time, in my free time I attend church, go shopping, and spend time with my pets.

I like the views/nature of UT. I like hiking and biking on sunny days and being outside just enjoying nature. I also like that there is a strong religious background in the state (even if its not my religion). I like that the state is more conservative than a lot of other places. I like how the cities (around SLC) are close together so you wouldnt have to travel very far if you had a job in another city. Where I live you can drive over an hour to get to another city in the same county. I like the malls you have in Sandy and Murray. I am excited about relocating.

I dont want anyone to try to talk me out of moving. I notice a lot of people on this forum try to convince people not to move for weather or job reasons. I already know I want to move. But I would like to know more about the city from the actual residents. Can you give me any info you know about this city, positive or negative. How safe is the area? What is it like in the winter, with the snow? Are the utilities/electric bills affordable? How is the economy in your city? Are people friendly or stuck up for the most part? How are the parks/public places? What fun things are there to do in the summer? How warm are the summers? What is the school system like there? What is the health care system like there? What do people's tax dollars go to there? Just any details you can give me about the area would be great.

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM

7,855 posts, read 8,373,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Bound View Post
Hello,
I am relocating to Murray UT from out of state. I have visited UT only once before. I did like it very much. It was a bit cold compared to the warm weather Im used to but it was beautiful, great mountain views. Im a consevative church-going person so I think I will fit in to some extent. I dont have children and Im not mormon so I know everyone wont like me, but thats okay. I keep to myself mostly, I work full time and go to college part time, in my free time I attend church, go shopping, and spend time with my pets.

I like the views/nature of UT. I like hiking and biking on sunny days and being outside just enjoying nature. I also like that there is a strong religious background in the state (even if its not my religion). I like that the state is more conservative than a lot of other places. I like how the cities (around SLC) are close together so you wouldnt have to travel very far if you had a job in another city. Where I live you can drive over an hour to get to another city in the same county. I like the malls you have in Sandy and Murray. I am excited about relocating.

I dont want anyone to try to talk me out of moving. I notice a lot of people on this forum try to convince people not to move for weather or job reasons. I already know I want to move. But I would like to know more about the city from the actual residents. Can you give me any info you know about this city, positive or negative. How safe is the area? What is it like in the winter, with the snow? Are the utilities/electric bills affordable? How is the economy in your city? Are people friendly or stuck up for the most part? How are the parks/public places? What fun things are there to do in the summer? How warm are the summers? What is the school system like there? What is the health care system like there? What do people's tax dollars go to there? Just any details you can give me about the area would be great.

Thanks everyone!
Why Murray specifically? All the Salt Lake Valley cities are basically one big city. Murray runs into Sandy which borders South Jordan, West Jordan, Draper, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM

5,112 posts, read 15,846,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Bound View Post
Hello,
I am relocating to Murray UT from out of state. ...... How safe is the area? What is it like in the winter, with the snow? Are the utilities/electric bills affordable? How is the economy in your city? Are people friendly or stuck up for the most part? How are the parks/public places? What fun things are there to do in the summer? How warm are the summers? What is the school system like there? What is the health care system like there? What do people's tax dollars go to there?
Safety:
I think overall, Murray is a safe area in the valley. I've lived in Murray before. I quite liked it's central location.

Winter/snow:
Do you mean temperatures, driving, clearing roads/sidewalks/driveways?

Utilities:
I don't think they have their own utilities so your natural gas would be from Questar and your power would be supplied by Rocky Mountain Power. Not sure what water district serves Murray. I pay
0.078009 per KWH for power October - April; then for May - September, 0.0752922 per KWH for the first 400 KWHs, and 0.092749 per KWH beyond 400 KWHs. Natural gas varies month to month. For the past three years, I've paid between 7.5 and 9.2 per DTH. Of course there are fees and taxes added to all utility bills. I think my utilities are quite low.

Economy:
I think the Wasatch Front (greatest populated area of Utah) is doing better than most areas of the nation. Don't really know enough about this to point you in the right direction. Just make sure you don't move here without securing employement first.

People:
As you stated you don't belong to the predominant religion but you like the conservative lifestyle. Perhaps when attending your church services you'll meet other like-minded people and can create your social circle from that. "Birds of a feather" seems quite common here. People for the most part are kind and considerate.

Parks:
Murray park is a nice park and there are several throughout the valley. Some require reservations when using the pavillions but otherwise I think anyone can use them.

Summer activities:
I'm the wrong person to ask. There are many outdoor activities throughout the summer. I like to go to Park City to escape the heat.

Summer heat:
I was in Park City this summer when 100+ degree days occurred in the valley. On average, I'd say we don't have more than maybe 7 100+ degree days per summer. Most days seem to be in the 90s. But as you might have heard, we have dry heat here so the heat isn't as exhausting as it might be in humid areas.

School Systems:
You mentioned you don't have kids and you want to attend college part time. So I'm guessing your school system question was related to college. University of Utah is the closest university to Murray. I attended U of U while living in Murray. Easy drive. There are specialy colleges/trade schools throughout the valley. Salt Lake Community College has several campuses too.

Health Care:Intermountain Health Care and Altius/Coventry Health Care are the two providers I'm familiar with. Itermountain Medical Center (IMC) is a new IHC affiliated hospital in Murray. It opened in October 2007 I think. For me, IHC insurance premiums were more expensive than Altius. There were more doctors/clinics/hospitals in my area to choose from that were IHC affiliated than Altius. I've been quite lucky to not need much medical care so perhaps someone else can shed light on this issue. You can now receive text messages to let you know the ER wait times at various hospitals.

Tax Dollars:
The majority of property taxes fund our education system. And according to the State of Utah Income Tax instruction booklet for 2009, all of Utah's state income taxes go toward funding education.

The federal income taxes paid by Utahns

Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM

224 posts, read 599,562 times
My parents live in Murray and they like it. One of the things they noticed when they first moved there was that it does have its own character and celebrations. Murray School district has to be the smallest in the city. That can be bad and good. There are really nice places in Murray and places you'd probably rather avoid, but for the most part it is a nice area of the valley.
Fashion Place Mall area has plenty of shopping and some nice restaurants.
Murray Park has a swimming pool and ice rink.
There is also the Jordan River Parkway you can bike, hike, run etc along the river.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,083 times
My wife and I moved to Murray a few months ago from Salt Lake City, which we moved to 2 years ago from Tampa, FL.

Murray is relatively safe and for the most part a desirable place to live. (although compared to other major cities there are not really any really bad areas in the valley).

Murray does have its own character and services.

(Its own School District, Library, Utilities...). Gas is through Questar. The one thing different we have noticed is in Salt Lake the water is from the mountains and reservoirs, Murray's water district takes it from the ground (so harder water).

Economy in Utah is better off than average in the country, but it is still down.

Murray Park is awesome.

Heat is relative, it is in the high 90's in the afternoon right now, but it is nowhere as hot here as it was in Florida - with low humidity here.

There is a bunch of hiking up in the canyons if you enjoy the outdoors.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Well thank you so much to the people who have responded. I appreciate all the info I can get before moving. I am planning a second trip as soon as I can. I last visited in fall. It was cold but not snowing and very beautiful. I am wondering if its best to visit in the summer or the winter? I would like to see the climate at its worst just to get an idea of what living there could be like. What would you say is worse? How hot the summers are? Or how cold your winters are? I guess it could just come down to what bothers each individual more. I think I would rather be too cold than too hot but I have never driven in snow before.

Im sure there will be major differences but over time I will adjust. I live in a suburb of CA. As Im sure you have heard from other CA transplants its overly priced and underly paid, weak economy, and personally I dont like how my tax dollars are used here. Im very glad to hear that UT taxes go to education. Thats terrific. I want to live in a place where our own tax dollars serve us, like fixing street lights or salting the streets, education, crime fighting programs, safe and clean parks, things like that.

I do plan on joining a new church once I move, Im a baptist, which Im not sure but I have heard is the minority religion there. Im sure I can still find one baptist church. Although I can get along with any religion that doesnt have a problem with me. I think its good that people just believe in something and trying to improve themselves and the world a little bit the best they know how.

I have looked at Murray, Sandy, South Jordan. I know they are all close together. I liked Murray because it seemed close to SLC (where I would most likely go to school), not far at all from West Valley (where I may be working) but also close to Sandy and South Jordan and Draper (which seem to be safe suburbs from what Ive seen and read). I like being near the Murray and Sandy malls for shopping options. Im not against living in Sandy either. I like that there is a target superstore and walmart superstore (we dont have those where I live now). But Sandy and South Jordan seem a little more expensive then the apartments in Murray that are closer to SLC.

Do you have any advice on living in the snow? I know I will need warmer clothing when I move. But anything else the UT residents need? I do not have snow tires. Will I really need them living in Murray? I hear your area is good about keeping the streets clear of snow. Is this true? Will the low temperature make my car stall or not be able to start? I have heard of that happening. Is there anything I need to buy to prevent that for my car? Or will I need to trade in my Mazda car for some sort of jeep or truck to get by?

For your electric bill I was wondering what the average person pays in dollar amount. In summer my electric bill is about $200/month. In the winter my electric bill is $20 to $50/month.

Do most employers offer a healthcare plan in your area? Where I live all the decent jobs offer a healthcare plan where you pay $50 to $100/month and your company covers the difference. You would still have a standard $20 co pay for office visits and to get prescriptions. But no deductibles. If you had to buy your own health care here without a job its $300 and up easily with expensive deductibles.

Average pay here is $8.50 to $9/hr for a part time non-office job to someone with little experience, like a standard retail staff person.

Average pay for a full time office job or supervisor/manager position in retail to someone with experience is $10 to $20/hr. (I make $15.50/hr).

What do the jobs there pay on average? I expect its less since the rent is also less? I belive you minimum wage is a little lower than ours.

I plan on moving regardless, but I would like to know what to expect and have my ducks in a row.

So thanks again to the people that have responded and I look forward to hearing more and as much as possible.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,558,206 times
I don't have snow tires. I moved here from Oxford, MS, and was not used to driving in snow. No real problem as the cities do a remarkable job of plowing. Now, if you live on a 1-block long street, it might not get plowed soon but the major streets/bus routes are always taken care of. I have an AWD vehicle, which I think is an advantage. I hear people also do well with front-wheel drive vehicles but no personal knowledge.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Considering Murray Utah

Hello,
I am considering moving to Murray UT. I have visited once and really liked it. Can some of the residents tell me more details about living there? Im non LDS but Im a conservative, female, white, mid 20's, non smoker, rarely drink, college student part time and work full time, animal lover. Im really into career and my focus isnt on having kids. I know a lot of people in UT are LDS and are into having big families and a lot of the women stay home or only work part time. Im okay with the fact that I will be the minority there, not having kids and not being LDS.

Making lots of friends inst really a big concern for me as I kind of keep to myself anyway and am really busy with my goals. The only thing I care about is that my status and religion dont affect me getting into a good college there or getting good grades or getting offered a good job there.

Can some Murray residents (LDS or non-LDS) tell me how they like living there? Can you tell me about your economy/job market, school pricing, rent pricing (seems affordable), wages (seem low), driving in the snow/the weather, utility bills/how expensive utilities are, what are the taxes like, how safe the city is, how is the public transportation system, how is the health care system, is health care affordable, and so on.

Anything you can tell me about the Murray UT area would be helpful. Thanks!!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM

139 posts, read 472,131 times
Default Funny Comment....

You posted that you are not a mormon so you know "everyone won't like me".....wow...that's a big assumption.

We moved to Murray 2 years ago from Austin, TX and we love it here.

Murray has a strong community feel that you don't get in some of the other burbs here in SLC. Murray Park is a huge park that has a lot of Murray events (parades, fireworks, city recreational stuff), and those events really bring a community feel to the area.

There is a strong commercial tax base here as well, and benefit is evident when you look at the community services that one receives here in Murray.

As for the climate, it's all relative. I love the cold and would take an Alaska winter over a Texas summer any day...and we've lived in both (my wife is the opposite and loves the heat). But being smart about what you wear in the winter is essential. LL Bean said it best..."there's no bad weather, just bad clothing".

Driving is no big deal...be smart, don't go too fast and you'll be fine. Get good tires and it's all good.

But back to your initial comment about not everyone liking you....don't get wrapped up in that stuff. We are LDS, however, we are definately the minority on our street. And, the interesting thing is...we like our neighbors!! If you are a good neighbor and friend, no one will care what religion you are. Just mow your lawn, don't play your music too loud, and don't lower my property values, and we'll get along just fine.

Good luck with the move!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:26 AM

8 posts, read 21,330 times
Default bittersweet

i moved here (outside salt lake city, close to murray) about a year ago with my girlfriend's family. her stepdad is a truckdriver here. i still haven't found a job, so that part is bad. another part that's bad is that me and my girlfriend aren't together anymore. she went back to minnesota (where we moved from) recently. so, i am stuck here with her family. anyway, yeah, the heat gets bad with the dry air. and the sidewalks are sometimes bad, and sometimes nonexistant, which is bad for me since i try to get around on my bike. no car. and if you do ride a bike, it wouldn't take long to get flat tires. i have had to change five tires in just this year. i got better innertubes and tires, and so far so good. the problem has been thorns that i keep finding in my tires. Moderator cut: too new, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-20-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>