U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,812 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm going to be graduating college next May and I'm really wanting to get out of the town where I live now (Pueblo, Colorado), and I'm starting to narrow down the list of cities I want to move to. SLC is on my list. I really like being close to the mountains and as much as I would like to move to the Denver area, I don't think it would be feasible because the cost of living in the Denver area is skyrocketing.

I've passed through Salt Lake before and was impressed with what little I saw. I still have a few questions though. What is the job market like for recent grads? How is the single life (I'm a 23 year-old straight male)? How much will it cost for a one-bedroom apartment in a decent (low-crime) area? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

My degree is in Business with an emphasis in Marketing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM

77 posts, read 265,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudIX View Post
How much will it cost for a one-bedroom apartment in a decent (low-crime) area?
You might find the rentometer tool helpful for getting a feel for rents. I'm more familiar with 1 bedroom rates in the greater Salt Lake area rather than Salt Lake City proper, but my general rule for complexes has been:
  • <$600 - Not desireable (and if it's <$500, run!!)
  • $600-$650 - Iffy
  • $650 - $775 - Average range/decent
  • $775+ - More luxury focused or above average amenities
Note that Salt Lake City itself tends to have more older, smaller building converted into apartments and such. ksl.com classifieds can give you a good view of rent-by-owner ranges. You can get really good deals doing basement or mother-in-law type arrangements in which the above ranges do not apply.

Last edited by Ghungroo; 08-11-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,449 times
There is a great "big city" urban single life style downtown or in the avenues if you have the money. You can try living near the U of U if you don't. The restraunts, clubs and such are there but you also see people walking downtown or cycling. Lots of festivals and a farmer's Market. Be ware the burbs. You will just end up driving downtown to do anything.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 AM

5,676 posts, read 12,396,415 times
Plenty of jobs in your field if you are willing to do whatever it takes *to get your foot in*.
Nothing today comes on a *silver platter*.
(Your *nickname* makes me wonder ... no such places in Utah !!!)

Do not settle here, without a job.

Get a job, draw a big area within the time limit you are willing to drive to work around your work place address, then look there.
In the mean time after you get your job, live in some dinky place just to get your *bearings*.
Any friends here yet ?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 AM

58 posts, read 104,934 times
As a person that virtually lives in many larger cities and localities as part of my job, what are you looking for in a city? I think I can tell you what SLC is and also and what it is not with somewhat of a clue from a single straight male perspective like yourself at 23.

I also "drove through SLC" and from a distance thought it looked wonderful. After a few business trips here I took that vision and finally relocated to the valley and I am very happy with my choice. But I am a "little" older than you so if I were 23 again with a degree in my hand SLC may not have had the youthful entertainment value a young single 20ish year old may be looking for. And along with the LDS influence, that yes even SLC has, dating etc may have an impact on that as well depending on your priorities. Not necessarily a bad one but still an influence.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 AM

427 posts, read 1,222,018 times
SLC isn't that cheap to be honest. Especially if you live in the city proper. Home prices are on par with Denver's.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM

5,676 posts, read 12,396,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
SLC isn't that cheap to be honest. Especially if you live in the city proper. Home prices are on par with Denver's.
Realty is only a small part of someones life ...
If you *think* it is cheaper, then let's go on and have fun !

On the side ...
I still, even after speaking English for the better part of my life,
it is still funny to hear people say:
1 - *to be honest* ...
I know ... I know ... figure of speech, still funny for me !
Whaaat ??? Honest ? Now ? Normally you lie like a rug ???
2 - *City proper* ...
What happened to city un-proper ?
Homeless ? Illegal ?

OK I am sorry Southern Belle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area