Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times

Advertisements

when I moved there a while ago, I was seriously looking into getting into the fire dept. I was signed up for school and all in florida before I left.

I found that they pay very low compared to what I was looking at here and Its damn near impossible to get into (which is the case in most places that I have ever been). Utah is a great place, me and my wife LOVE it but its not for everyone, thats for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
[quote=Alex0206;15660464]Hello all!! I am 27 years old and a mom to two younger boys. I want to move out Utah in July 2011. I am moving because my ex husbnd moved back out there and I'd rather just move then keep fighting for custody.., anyways sorry a little to much info... I don't really know what I am getting myself into.and him and his mother are the only people I know and it doesn't really feel like they want to help too much. I want us all to live close to each other and they live in Weber county.

Hi... just want to say I commend you for being willing to pull up stakes so your boys can be closer to their dad. (I hope he's a good dad) My ex and I, after witnessing a couple of horrible situations between divorcing friends and what their kids went through, vowed to do what was reasonably best for our young son. It was hard at first, lots of tension, but in the end it turned out fine, we reformed our relationship enough that we're actually friendly. Over time we're also both remarried, and we're lucky enough to all get along enough to be able to share some family holidays and special occasions together with our son, who while I'm sure not completey unscathed, has turned out to be a very kind loving young man.
As far as mother in law, be as polite as possible, and realize she's disappointed the marriage didn't work out. If she's a decent person, hopefully, she'll be more cooperative. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex0206 View Post
I do not like California at all, I think people here just care about partying and drinking.
Maybe it is the circle of friends you keep? There are like 30 million people in California and they all drink and party? I don't think so. I know plenty who did, but then again, we grew up and got older. Where in Cali do you live that everyone drinks and parties?

Quote:
I am currently a bartender, yes I know what I just said about ca people, but I don't drink much and it's great money here. My boyfriend wants to be a fire fighter, are those hard to come by? What city would be great to live in around there?? I've been looking at Syracuse, is that a good place or no? Also I am not a Mormon, I am Christian. Is this a big issue? I also have a sleeve tattoo, it's pretty not trashy, but is this a big issue in Utah?? As far as jobs? Friends? Being judged? I am just really scared but I loved Utah when I visited a couple years ago, and I would really like to live somewhere where people apprciate life and family. Thank you for any feed back and I apologize if I rambled on to much
Well you will most likely encounter the same rowdy behavior in SLC as you do in California if you hang with your co-workers from the bar. Try becoming part of the Schools Parents Club wherever you land, that way you can become friends with other adults who put their children above social hour and are old enough to have settled down after living it up.

There are regular tattoo having, non LDS people in Utah, mostly near the Avenues and Sugar House. You would be most comfortable there. Don't worry about the drinking. The rules are really strict for that in Utah, and I think that people may respect bartenders there more than here.

If anything I wish you good luck with the transplanting. It is great that you are thinking of the kids and are willing to sacrifice your own comfort for them. They will appreciate that devotion when they are older.

Last edited by Taboo2; 09-04-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 12:16 AM

6 posts, read 10,947 times
Yes, I am aware that not everyone in the world drinks and parties. Clearly when I made a statement like I was trying to express how I feel. I do not hang out with my co-workers after work, I go home and sleep because I have to take my kids to school and I go to school myself. Outside of work I do not go to bars and do not drink. Between my kids sports,hw and everything that goes with running a home I have no time for that. And when I said it feels like everyone in California cares about drinking and partying it was to express that I have a hard time finding friends with a good balance. I actually live in what was named "the drunkest city" Fresno. I really hope I find a great place to call home and that everything works out for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area