Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Okay, I admit I have spent almost no time at all in Ogden in the 61 years I've lived in Utah. Someone from out-of-state was recently talking to me on another forum about having taken one of those on-line quizzes that's supposed to tell you the perfect city for you. His top city turned out to be Ogden.

I was kind of surprised. I seriously don't think he's planning a move out here or anything, so this is to satisfy my curiousity more than anything else. Why would a person choose to move to Ogden rather than to Salt Lake? Obviously, if he was going to be working in Ogden, that would be a factor, but other than that, what would make Ogden preferable to Salt Lake? Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of a single solitary thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Closer to the AFB and thus more diverse. If that matters more to you than more cultural opportunities?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Closer to the AFB and thus more diverse. If that matters more to you than more cultural opportunities?
Hmmm. Well, that makes sense. It's still very heavily LDS, though, isn't it? I always think of it as a dirty, run-down railroad town, which probably is a grossly unfair statement to make. I just haven't spent enough time there to really know, I guess.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Okay, I admit I have spent almost no time at all in Ogden in the 61 years I've lived in Utah. Someone from out-of-state was recently talking to me on another forum about having taken one of those on-line quizzes that's supposed to tell you the perfect city for you. His top city turned out to be Ogden.

I was kind of surprised. I seriously don't think he's planning a move out here or anything, so this is to satisfy my curiousity more than anything else. Why would a person choose to move to Ogden rather than to Salt Lake? Obviously, if he was going to be working in Ogden, that would be a factor, but other than that, what would make Ogden preferable to Salt Lake? Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of a single solitary thing.
As certain people on the forum maybe aware, I live in Davis County and work in Ogden. I've painted a fairly negative picture of Ogden in the past because the downtown area has gone to pieces. There has been some revitalization on 25th Street and where the old mall used to stand, but its too slow and not enough to change the overall picture of things, IMO.

Let me describe some positives though because they are also very real:

1. A series of hiking trails along the Ogden River and in the mountains east of the town make for some great hiking and walking. I just found out that west of the 24th Street Viaduct there is even a park along the river for people who want to kayak.

2. Snowbasin ski resort up Ogden Canyon offers some of the best skiing in the state. Powder Mountain resort is good for the less skilled skiers.

3. The Dinosaur Park is a nice place to take children for an afternoon.

4. The Children's Museum is also a great place to take kids for a few hours.

5. Weber State University is a good educational option for many students pursuing careers in education, social work, nursing, and law enforcement. I am told they have a great pre-med program too. Ballet West and the Utah Symphony frequently perform at the Val A. Browing Center on campus.

6. The city has a good selection of parks.

7. Rainbow Gardens at the mouth of Ogden Canyon is a good place to eat and spend an hour or two shopping on an evening or a weekend.

8. The Hill Air Force Base Museum (actually in Roy, right outside of Ogden) is a great place to see airplanes and learn some important history.

9. A walk down 25th Street from Grant Avenue to Wall Avenue will take you past a collection of boutique shops, restaurants, and a comedy club. If you stop and read the historical plaques on the buildings, you'll learn about how colorful this place was in the past.

10. The old train station on Wall Avenue at the end of 25th Street has been turned into a museum that is worth seeing.

The cost of housing and living generally is lower in Ogden than in Salt Lake. The atmosphere of the place is more laid-back and low-key than in Salt Lake. The health care available at the McKay Dee Hospital (IHC) is top notch and I would venture to say as good as any in Salt Lake.

So, all in all, plenty of pluses. Although, if someone wanted to move into the area, my recommendation would be live in a surrounding city like Roy, North Ogden, West Haven, Riverdale, Pleasant View, or South Ogden.

I think when people take the kind of quizzes that you mention the quiz is focusing not just on the city, but the surrounding metro area as well. If you focus on the metro area, I could see how the area could come out fairly well.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,055,630 times
Some major ski manufacturing companies have been relocating to Ogden, the latest being Hart Skis. There is the Salomon Center that includes the Flowrider indoor wave pool so you can actually SURF in Ogden.

I think the present Mayor is giving ski related companies some good breaks and incentives to entice them for relocation.

How much of this will turn out to be temporary "Hype" that slowly fades and fizzles or a solid grounding of new and pemanent job opportunities and revenue for Ogden remains to be seen I think.

My personal concern is it will create many lower paying low to medium skill assembly and manufacuring jobs with a sprinkling of mid to higher level management positions.

As glitzy and glamorous as Sporting/Outdoor/Ski companies may appear on the surface, it's not like a major tech or computer company, etc. relocating there.

Hopefully Ogden will get caught up in the momentum and "Whilrwind" of all this, more mid to higher salaried and educated young people (all ages welcome of course) will start to consider or actually relocate to Ogden and it will grow from there.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Mark, thank you SO much! Your posts are always so informative!

Old 09-06-2010, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 21,911 times
I board a horse in Huntsville and donated to an osprey conservation project out that ways so I drive through Ogden from time to time. I could see how for a very hardcore outdoor enthusiast unconcerned with posh shopping, Ogden could potentially top Salt Lake. I think that the natural setting in parts of Ogden is even prettier than much of SLC because it's in closer proximity to the mountains. Access to more mountain activities is readily available in a shorter drive than it is from SLC, and there's Pine View Reservoir for boating enthusiasts. Ogden canyon/valley is absolutely exquisite, and a totally different world from Ogden itself. Local ordinances have kept commercial development, chains, and bill boards away so it's really quite pristine... prettier than even Park City, in my opinion. Also, if you want a lifestyle with keeping horses or some hobby livestock, Ogden Valley is a prime place to do that. Snow Basin is really, really, really nice both for hiking and skiing or for photography and painting. There's a little restaurant in the canyon called Grey Cliff Lodge that is a relic of to 1950s Utah. Totally part of the experience IMO. I've dragged every east coast city slicker who's come to visit me out there, and it's been one of the things that they all keep reminiscing about months after departing.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaEight View Post
I board a horse in Huntsville and donated to an osprey conservation project out that ways so I drive through Ogden from time to time. I could see how for a very hardcore outdoor enthusiast unconcerned with posh shopping, Ogden could potentially top Salt Lake. I think that the natural setting in parts of Ogden is even prettier than much of SLC because it's in closer proximity to the mountains. Access to more mountain activities is readily available in a shorter drive than it is from SLC, and there's Pine View Reservoir for boating enthusiasts. Ogden canyon/valley is absolutely exquisite, and a totally different world from Ogden itself. Local ordinances have kept commercial development, chains, and bill boards away so it's really quite pristine... prettier than even Park City, in my opinion. Also, if you want a lifestyle with keeping horses or some hobby livestock, Ogden Valley is a prime place to do that. Snow Basin is really, really, really nice both for hiking and skiing or for photography and painting. There's a little restaurant in the canyon called Grey Cliff Lodge that is a relic of to 1950s Utah. Totally part of the experience IMO. I've dragged every east coast city slicker who's come to visit me out there, and it's been one of the things that they all keep reminiscing about months after departing.
Wow, that's really interesting. I've lived in Salt Lake all my life and know basically nothing about Ogden.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:06 AM

23 posts, read 84,463 times
Ogden has a lower cost of living, more diversity, I'd say it's less uptight than Salt Lake, close proximity to the Wasatch Mountains, lower crime than some parts of Salt Lake, less hectic, and it's a city with a lot of potential and in the process of that potential being executed.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,544 times
Red face Looking at Odgen

Thanks for all the information given on the Ogden area. My husband and I are mid-50's and retired, and are so very tired of southern heat. My son lives in the Salt Lake City area, and we are going to coming out next spring to have a look around, and possibly house hunt. We aren't able to participate in a lot of the outdoor activities since my husband in a disable vet, but we can certainly enjoy the beauty! Would any of you have an opinion on what areas of Ogden is better to look for a home? I 'd love to hear from some of you. Any advice would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area