U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM

51 posts, read 225,674 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have enjoyed reading posts on this site as our family will be moving to Salt Lake City in a couple months. My husband will be working for the FAA at the airport. I have been looking online and really like the Layton area and the Tooele area (yes, I am going to make him commute). Can anyone tell me which one would be better? We have two young children and want somewhere SAFE (i.e. NO gang activity or high crime). We are currently living in a small small town in Colorado and love small towns. As for the LDS factor- not a problem, I am LDS, however, my husband is not (I'm hoping he won't get any more grief about it than he gets here). Any insight into these 2 places would be great! Thanks so much in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM

378 posts, read 1,843,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewendan
Hello. I have enjoyed reading posts on this site as our family will be moving to Salt Lake City in a couple months. My husband will be working for the FAA at the airport. I have been looking online and really like the Layton area and the Tooele area (yes, I am going to make him commute). Can anyone tell me which one would be better? We have two young children and want somewhere SAFE (i.e. NO gang activity or high crime). We are currently living in a small small town in Colorado and love small towns. As for the LDS factor- not a problem, I am LDS, however, my husband is not (I'm hoping he won't get any more grief about it than he gets here). Any insight into these 2 places would be great! Thanks so much in advance!
You will never get away from gang activity. It is just a way of life now. I live in a very nice part of Salt Lake and crime is probably more rampant here than the not so nice part of town. We have better stuff to steal I guess. Tooele is out in the desert somewhat while Latyon is next to the larger Wasatch Front Mountain Range. I personally would rather live in Bountiful than Layton. You would most likely be able to get more home for the money in Tooele, then Layton, then Bountiful. Traffic from Layton to Salt Lake can be killer since there is only one way to get here (I-15) for now.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 885 times
Default Do not move to tooelle

I used to live there for 5 years, one they send all the inmates there that get out of the prison for work release and for a small town the crime is horrid along with drugs, I lived in sandy and loved it, if you pay the money and get a decent house along the east side foothills you will be very happy good nieghborhoods good schools and no real crime, now if you do not mind a hour commute to salt lake, Kamas and park city are even better. If yo have children tooelle is not the place to be, there were many problems with inmates and several children were molested 6 or 7 years ago and the schools are very voilent as well, my brother was in grade school there and it was aweful

Old 08-18-2006, 01:19 PM

38 posts, read 150,348 times
I would suggest visiting Tooele to see what it's like yourself. Lots of people from other parts of Utah have moved to tooele county the last few years because of more affordable homes. I doubt that it's the same city it was 6 or 7 years ago. The crime stats here on city-data from 2002 indicates Tooele was below the national average crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area