U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM

12 posts, read 14,129 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

it is my first time posting but not the first time reading on citi-data. I would love to get some information about Murray and Sandy. My daughter and I are very interested in moving to Murray or Sandy in February or March. We both are getting a transfer and will be working in the Fashion Place Mall. My questions are:

1. Will it be easy to find a 2Bath/2Bed apartment in Murray or Sandy for around $ 1,200? What other cities should we are looking for?
2. I know there is very low humidity (love that one) but how about bugs and spiders and so on? We both are freaking out just thinking about them.
3. Is the Fashion Place Mall a nice Mall?
4. If we go out for lunch or dinner who is getting the tips? Will it be devided under all the waiters or get the waiter who waited on us will getting the tips? I hope that makes sense...;-)

I'm looking forward to reading all the replies. Thank you very much in advance. We are very excited and looking forward to moving to Utah.

Last edited by Germanwoman50; 12-03-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: just forget a sentence
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 PM

25,959 posts, read 26,930,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanwoman50 View Post
Hi everyone,

it is my first time posting but not the first time reading on citi-data. I would love to get some information about Murray and Sandy. My daughter and I are very interested in moving to Murray or Sandy in February or March.
Also consider Cottonwood Heights. It's about 12 minutes to the Fashion Place Mall -- not as close as Murray but closer than Sandy and (in my opionion as a 28-year resident) nicer than either.

Quote:
We both are getting a transfer and will be working in the Fashion Place Mall. My questions are:

1. Will it be easy to find a 2Bath/2Bed apartment in Murray or Sandy for around $ 1,200? What other cities should we are looking for?
I'm going to defer to someone else on that one. I haven't rented in years and just don't know. My guess (only a guess) is that you should be able to find something quite nice for that amount.

Quote:
2. I know there is very low humidity (love that one) but how about bugs and spiders and so on? We both are freaking out just thinking about them.
No, it's not bad. They scare me too, and if there were all that many, I'd have noticed it.

Quote:
3. Is the Fashion Place Mall a nice Mall?
Yes, it is. It's fairly good sized and has a lot of nice stores. I shop there quite often.

Quote:
4. If we go out for lunch or dinner who is getting the tips? Will it be devided under all the waiters or get the waiter who waited on us will getting the tips? I hope that makes sense...;-)
Hmmm. As far as I know, they will (in most cases) go to the waiter who served you, with possibly the busser and the hostess getting a cut.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to reading all the replies. Thank you very much in advance. We are very excited and looking forward to moving to Utah.
Great! It's a nice place to live. You should like it here.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

7,855 posts, read 8,437,968 times
My co-worker is looking to move here Pinnacle Highland Apartments in Cottonwood Heights, UT it is really nice and 2br go from $900 to $1,100 depending on view and location.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM

226 posts, read 539,109 times
There are actually quite a few apartment complexes slightly east and south of Fashion Place Mall. Katzpur, are those apartments near Target and Home Depot on Fort Union part of Cottonwood Heights?

On the issue of bugs, I think we actually have relatively few because of our low humidity. For example, we aren't bothered by fleas because their life cycle is interrupted by the low humidity. We do get mosquitos in the summer, but not so many that you can't entertain outside. We get ticks in really sagebrushy areas but unless you make a habit of walking through sagebrush you wouldn't have to worry about them either. I can't think of many places in the west where you would find fewer dangerous or annoying creepy crawler things than Utah.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Thank you very much for the replies. We are soooooooooooooo glad there are no bugs.....yeah..:-)
We'll be looking into the Cottonwood Heights area too, thanks again.
I have one more question.
I read there is a lot of smog. Can we compare that to the LA area or is it worse?
Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 PM

7,855 posts, read 8,437,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanwoman50 View Post
Thank you very much for the replies. We are soooooooooooooo glad there are no bugs.....yeah..:-)
We'll be looking into the Cottonwood Heights area too, thanks again.
I have one more question.
I read there is a lot of smog. Can we compare that to the LA area or is it worse?
Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Having grown up in LA in the 70's I laugh at what they call smog here. I lived through Stage 3 smog alerts (those wee really bad then). Not to discount the inversions here because they do look bad, today it looked like fog over the valley.

I don't notice many affects over on the south/west side, it looks to be more of a east valley problem. It sure takes away from my view though.

When you look at problem days here vs. LA, they have Utah beat hands down.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 3,995,262 times
Delete for double posting...

Last edited by mlb; 12-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: double posting

Old 12-05-2010, 12:11 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 3,995,262 times
Actually, the local weather folks still call it haze - but it's truly smog - gunk by any other name - and yes it is injurious. If you have any asthma related illnesses - January can be a very difficult time for you.

Having lived in LA (6 years) in the San Fernando Valley - this is the same crap. You don't see it as much (the particulates) during seasons other than winter -but it is escalating.

ksl.com - Northern Utah's air is the worst in the nation

In LA you have an ocean front - with breezes - to clean the air out. Here? We're landlocked.

As for places to live in an apartment in Sandy? Not alot of choice. But you might consider working with a realtor and finding a home to rent - as the recession is still with us and homes are not moving.

Or - better yet - consider buying, particularly if you have gainful employment.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:47 PM

19,856 posts, read 62,824,532 times
To the OP: I am just curious why you care who gets the tips? Are you a server?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Thank you very much for all of your replies, it is very helpful. We don't have any Asthma problems. My daughter is a waitress and we know that in some restaurants they split the tips under all of the servers in the end of their shift. We were just wondering how that will be in SLC.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area