Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 PM

846 posts, read 609,948 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am currently living in Portland OR. The area is beautiful and I enjoy the mild winters, rain, and dreary overcast skies. What I DON'T care for is the lack of job opportunities (wife's issue), West Coast attitude, traffic, and cost of living. So, we decided to do some exploratory research to determine if an area would be a good fit.

I am a Database developer (Ms Stack, .NET) in my 50's. I do run into some age discrimination but I always manage to find employment especially as a consultant. Since I like to exercise I am usually in better shape than my counterparts who are in their 30's. So, I don't look like the kind of old guy that will keel over during the interview.

My wife is an ex teacher with a Master's degree in SPED. The last few years she has been an Acct. Manager and general office worker. She is the kind of person that does extremely well in interviews and most people instantly like her. Her salary is in the mid 30's.

My queries are:

I am a Bible believing Christian and not a LDS member. How much realistic discrimination are we going to face?

How are the opportunities in IT? Do you feel age is a severe detriment in the local area? Are there more fulltime or contractor positions available? What is the current rate?

How about office workers? My wife, an Acct. Manager, has an extremely hard time finding office work in the Portland area. The pay, I think, is extremely poor offering anywhwere between 13 - 19 dolllars an hour. She does have the experience and holds a Master degree.

We currently have a Golden Retriever. Is the local area dog friendly Do hotels and rentals accept dogs?

I appreciate you taking the time to read about me and my family unit. And, I thank you in advance for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,144 times
I work as a software developer in the .NET / MS stack as well. I've never noticed any shortage of jobs available ...there's a booming tech sector here. I'm only 31 though so I'm not sure about the age discrimination. I don't think you'd have any trouble at all with the LDS thing - most companies here have a mixture of peoples.

I will say, traffic here is probably on par with Portland though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area