Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 7,843 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

This is a complicated question and I wanted it to have a catchy tag. DO NOT READ THIS POST IF THE WORD ATHEIST TURNS YOU OFF. However, its really more about the kids than about personal dislike of religion. So, here are the specifics, I am in my 40's, primary family breadwinner, have 3 kids under 12, work a professional job well into the six figures of income, have full-on liberal politics and no religion whatsoever nor any chance of ever developing one. I currently live in a large urban area in Texas. My favorite city I have lived in is Albuquerque. So, a job opportunity exists in SLC and I am trying to decide if I should pursue it.

I would rather hike in the mountains than do almost any other activity. We love to ski and spouse is a crazy mountain biker beyond belief. SLC seems absolutely perfect in terms of location, and I have skiied nearby and found it fabulous. ...........but I'll have to put my kids in private school because I can't have them fodder for the Moderator cut: rude in the public schools and the idea of someone teaching my kids Utah state history is absolutely horrifying, so the job will be a pay cut due to the cost of school.

Having read the specifics, here is the bargain. I feel that Texas is horrible in terms of politics and religion and completely lacks public lands, attractive scenery or even half-way decent weather (3 months above 100 degrees is not summer-its hell), and so why not move to SLC? I know the politics will suck, I'm not looking to make any local friends as I don't have any in Texas but at least I'll be living in the mountains. I just dread the idea that my kids will hate me for making them grow up as unbelievers amongst the saints? Now, maybe they'll hate me no matter what I do, but geez I wanna' go hiking again really bad. What say you?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-01-2011 at 12:21 AM..

 
Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Reputation: 8956
Can't you get a decent job offer in California, Oregon, Washington or Colorado?
 
Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: A Nation Possessed
25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Reputation: 22534
We all have our political/philosophical leanings. Personally, if asked, I'll share them. Otherwise, I typically keep them to myself, unless someone is stepping on my toes or something. I'd say that an atheist could get along just fine in Utah... provided they are typically "introverted" about it. However, I'd warn any "militant" atheist or very outspoken, hard-core liberal that a chip-on-the-shoulder type attitude probably won't bring any peace of mind in Utah at all. At least not unless you thrive on being at odds with nearly everyone around you. Personally, I couldn't deal with that. I'm not a fighter. I guess it all depends on how brashly you insist on "flashing your colors around."

I'm typically head-butting with those on this forum who warn people that they won't fit in. But, I'd have to say after reading your post that I'm going to echo what many others say about living in Utah "outside the culture," in this case. From the tone of your post, I'd predict that you may be quite miserable around here. Of course, you may be able to find small enclaves within the state where it might work for you; but on the whole, I'd caution against making a move here unless you are really sure you can either blend in or handle being at odds with those around you regularly.

Keep in mind that summers are, although not as bad as Texas, very hot and long here as well. Truthfully, if hiking and mountains and skiing are the main draw, I can think of a hundred places where you'd have more peace of mind, enjoy life, AND hike the mountains/ski.
 
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Reputation: 19378
Even if you don't go around shoving your atheism in folks' faces, how about your young kids? If asked where they go to church, will they repeat something you have said about how religion is stupid, or whatever? They can be ostracized in any school in the USA if they will display an anti-reliigon bias. Most of the good private schools here are the Catholic ones or Rowland Hall-St. Mark's.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-16-2011 at 05:10 PM..
 
Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 AM
 
Location: USA
498 posts, read 1,455,092 times
Reputation: 438
Judging by your tone, I don't think you would be happy here. It's certainly possible to be happy here, no matter who you are or what you think you stand for, but it's a pursuit. It seems like you're expecting everything that affects you to be out of your control, and so the best thing you could do would be to just avoid the religious/conservative facets of our society as much as possible; it's really up to you how you'll interact with the people and culture here. If you're just gonna give up on making friends from the get-go and not even attempt to live in harmony with the people and culture here, of course you're going to be miserable. And we don't exactly want people like that here either. Approaching this situation with the attitude that the schools aren't good enough for your children, the people aren't good enough to be your friends, and everything else is just a lost cause is a really really bad way to start your experience, if you do actually pursue a life in Utah. A closed-minded, pessimistic, and arrogant attitude like that would not do anyone any good here.
 
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Reputation: 93266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Judging by your tone, I don't think you would be happy here. It's certainly possible to be happy here, no matter who you are or what you think you stand for, but it's a pursuit. It seems like you're expecting everything that affects you to be out of your control, and so the best thing you could do would be to just avoid the religious/conservative facets of our society as much as possible; it's really up to you how you'll interact with the people and culture here. If you're just gonna give up on making friends from the get-go and not even attempt to live in harmony with the people and culture here, of course you're going to be miserable. And we don't exactly want people like that here either. Approaching this situation with the attitude that the schools aren't good enough for your children, the people aren't good enough to be your friends, and everything else is just a lost cause is a really really bad way to start your experience, if you do actually pursue a life in Utah. A closed-minded, pessimistic, and arrogant attitude like that would not do anyone any good here.
What he said.
 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: West Jordan, UT
494 posts, read 1,897,013 times
Reputation: 141
I am an atheist and live in the suburbs (West Jordan). In general, the Salt Lake Valley gets more religious the further south you go. I have never had a problem, but I don't advertise it. The only problem I see may be your views about others you are bringing with you. My boss is also an atheist, and her children have NEVER had problems in the public schools. Once again, she does not advertise it. I think the worst you will see is a look of horror from the missionaries when they inevitably come to visit : ). Best of luck to you.
 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills
555 posts, read 1,653,537 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Judging by your tone, I don't think you would be happy here. It's certainly possible to be happy here, no matter who you are or what you think you stand for, but it's a pursuit. It seems like you're expecting everything that affects you to be out of your control, and so the best thing you could do would be to just avoid the religious/conservative facets of our society as much as possible; it's really up to you how you'll interact with the people and culture here. If you're just gonna give up on making friends from the get-go and not even attempt to live in harmony with the people and culture here, of course you're going to be miserable. And we don't exactly want people like that here either. Approaching this situation with the attitude that the schools aren't good enough for your children, the people aren't good enough to be your friends, and everything else is just a lost cause is a really really bad way to start your experience, if you do actually pursue a life in Utah. A closed-minded, pessimistic, and arrogant attitude like that would not do anyone any good here.
I think you nailed it... deciding the people, culture, and politics suck before setting foot here speaks volumes to your own personal character. You'll find things to complain about here just like in Texas, I don't see you happy anywhere as you don't seem happy with yourself. It must be hard being the only perfect person in the world.
 
Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Reputation: 13118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I think you nailed it... deciding the people, culture, and politics suck before setting foot here speaks volumes to your own personal character. You'll find things to complain about here just like in Texas, I don't see you happy anywhere as you don't seem happy with yourself. It must be hard being the only perfect person in the world.
Looks like I can't rep you again yet. Too bad. Your post was right on!
 
Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Reputation: 13118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfromhere-Ijustlivehere View Post
This is a complicated question and I wanted it to have a catchy tag. DO NOT READ THIS POST IF THE WORD ATHEIST TURNS YOU OFF.
The only thing the word "atheist" does, in my opinion, is tell me that someone doesn't believe in God. If I'm going to be turned off by somebody, it will be for a better reason than that.

Quote:
I would rather hike in the mountains than do almost any other activity. We love to ski and spouse is a crazy mountain biker beyond belief. SLC seems absolutely perfect in terms of location, and I have skiied nearby and found it fabulous.
Yeah, we got mountains! Beautiful, hikable, bikable, skiable mountains!

Quote:
but I'll have to put my kids in private school because... the idea of someone teaching my kids Utah state history is absolutely horrifying...
Okay, now I think I'm starting to get turned off. What in the world would be "horrifying" about having your kids learn about the history of the state they're living in? You'd rather have them just pretend that 160+ years of history just didn't happen? What exactly are you afraid they'll learn?

Quote:
I know the politics will suck, I'm not looking to make any local friends as I don't have any in Texas but at least I'll be living in the mountains.
I'm not surprised.

Quote:
I just dread the idea that my kids will hate me for making them grow up as unbelievers amongst the saints?
I'm sure you could drill them every night over dinner on how stupid their LDS friends are. Sooner or later they'd be bound to pick up on your attitude and have no more friends than you do.

Quote:
Now, maybe they'll hate me no matter what I do, but geez I wanna' go hiking again really bad. What say you?
Stay put or find somewhere else to move. Come out here and spend a couple of weeks on vacation every couple of years. Enjoy our wonderful mountains and hike to your heart's content. Just don't move here. You couldn't possibly be happy here with your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top