Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 AM

97 posts, read 384,974 times

Advertisements

hilgi, we like new areas too and would prefer one. 10 miles doesn't seem that far for the right community it all depends on how you travel those 10 miles, are they freeway? We are originally from San Diego, so we know what real traffic is, but don't really want to deal with it again. As for the home size I went to the homefinder application and put in 4+ bedroom, 3 bath with a minimum of 3000sqft and a max price of 400K. It said it couldn't find anything to match, maybe it was the 400K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,993 times
I have to admit, of all the areas in the Salt Lake valley my favorite would still have to be the Holladay area. I just love the mature heavily tree lined streets and some of the neighborhoods I'd never be able to afford just South of Murray-Holladay Blvd and East of 2300 East are my favorites. I used to live in E. Millcreek and my wife and I would walk up that way and just dream. I just love some of those streets that head up toward the mountain with the larger lots. I'd have to win a lotto to afford it, but given the opportunity I'd move there before any place else. I always preferred the East side to the West, especially since I have NO love of the Kennecott debacle. Oh well. You buy where you can afford to live I guess...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish33 View Post
hilgi, we like new areas too and would prefer one. 10 miles doesn't seem that far for the right community it all depends on how you travel those 10 miles, are they freeway? We are originally from San Diego, so we know what real traffic is, but don't really want to deal with it again. As for the home size I went to the homefinder application and put in 4+ bedroom, 3 bath with a minimum of 3000sqft and a max price of 400K. It said it couldn't find anything to match, maybe it was the 400K.
The best bet would be to map address to address, I know my wife works in Murray which is the same direction and she is on the freeway for about 3 miles only. It takes her 20-25 mins usually. You should check the new Trax (light rail) map also, we have a stop opening this summer 2 blocks from my house and I think it goes towards the area you are going to work.

Those searches are odd, I could not get it to work right on ksl.com but I searched keyword daybreak zip 84095, min 4 bedrooms and I got 14 hits. Most under $400k and most over 3000 ft. When searching by sqft, note that most homes include basement space in that. I actually love having a basement, they are done really well here.

I know of a HUGE home right down the street that is a short sale at $399k, it has been dropping in price every two weeks, I don't think it has ever been lived in.

Your best bet is to come and check it out, there are lots of homes not listed for some reason. This area started in 2005 so most homes are under water, lots of deals to be had. Or do like me and rent while the prices fall.

I walked to p/u my daughter from school, so I took a pic of that $399k house I mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Best places to live in Salt Lake-rsz_imag0229.jpg  

Last edited by hilgi; 02-15-2011 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: add photo

Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,398 times
Although farther away, Draper and South Jordan (Daybreak is in SJ) have probably the newest homes in the valley. I think Cottonwood is also great, but I would be surprised if you can find much selection of newer homes (other than townhouses).

Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM

226 posts, read 567,372 times
Maybe we could help most by excluding neighborhoods. Holladay's not your neighborhood. We don't do sidewalks, curbs, or HOAs unless forced to do so. The homes are anywhere from 100 years old to about 100 days old, but you wouldn't be able to get the number of bedrooms you want in a newer home while staying in your price range, and we're farther from Midvale than Cottonwood Heights is. There aren't a huge number of planned communities in the Salt Lake Valley. It kind of just sprawled over a hundred year period of time. Daybreak is the only really true planned community I can think of.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,695 times
Rosecrest in Herriman is another.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I have to admit, of all the areas in the Salt Lake valley my favorite would still have to be the Holladay area. I just love the mature heavily tree lined streets and some of the neighborhoods I'd never be able to afford just South of Murray-Holladay Blvd and East of 2300 East are my favorites. I used to live in E. Millcreek and my wife and I would walk up that way and just dream. I just love some of those streets that head up toward the mountain with the larger lots. I'd have to win a lotto to afford it, but given the opportunity I'd move there before any place else. I always preferred the East side to the West, especially since I have NO love of the Kennecott debacle. Oh well. You buy where you can afford to live I guess...
Start house shopping. I live exactly where you want to live and believe me your dream probably isn't out of reach anymore. We've seen sale prices drop by $100,000 or more. We'd love to have you as neighbors. Our supply of neighbors is dwindling daily. I don't think I've driven home one day in the past two weeks without seeing another home for sale. And they're not foreclosures. Since nobody in Holladay who could afford to stay in their house would be selling their house in this market, I think they must be owned by motivated sellers. I think Holladay has dropped more in housing prices than any place in the whole valley. Now's the time.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM

I imagine people think I'm nuts when I tell one person that Holladay isn't for them, and two posts later tell someone else to start packing to move here. My rationale is that the OP wanted a newer home with larger square footage and dcisive likes the older homes on larger lots. I'm not crazy, really. I'm just paying attention to what people say they want.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,993 times
Na you're just fine UtahRoots. I probably fail to fit the Utah Homeowner profile less than anyone I've ever met HERE anyway. In the Bay Area of California we had no less than at least half a dozen couples our age (we're now late 50's) who didn't build their lives around children, and worked in some professional capacity or another. Our lifestyles were more that of keeping our homes especially nice, having friends over for barbecue and wine/beer and events (like the 49er's when they were winning all the time ). It just seems like back then it was really easy to go out to a nice dinner and not have kids banging on your booth or screaming at the top of their lungs. Whether it was a visit to the ocean or just about anywhere it wasn't accompanied by that banter. Since I used to be on the road a lot of the time it really didn't matter to me much here, but now since I no longer travel for a living it has become increasingly difficult to deal with the typical lifestyles of the Salt Lake inhabitants.

When we lived in E. Millcreek (about 20th E. and 3400 S.) back in the 90's before we bought in Herriman, we tended to have more adult folks we socialized with. Now it's all LDS (which we are not...no offense) with 4-6 kids per household, and we have NOTHING in common. I guess I was just bringing up Holladay as that area near Kentucky Ave. and such seemed so nice and QUIET....a commodity I don't get too much of anymore, especially when the weather is nice. I admit I would be the perfect candidate for 20 acres with my nearest neighbor a half mile down the road kind of place surrounded by lots of trees. Oh well. Maybe my next lifetime. Till then I'll just have to keep vacationing in Northwest Washington State.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
dcisive, if you would quit patronising nearby restaurants, you would have a better experience! In the downtown/SugarHouse/Foothill areas, I have never had screaming children even in theplace, much less near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area