Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,623 times

Advertisements

Greetings all, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I make too many egregious errors . My fiancée and I moved out here last June and have absolutely been loving living out here. When we moved we brought our cartoon like scruffy black mutt with us. He absolutely loves to run wild and go nuts and chase. But he is a former lab test animal rescue so there are some things about him that we are very controlling and cautious with - off leash dog parks being one of those. We are always in search of new parks so I thought I would tap this resource to see what parks and areas CD posters love to take their dogs to. We're always looking for more, but are very sensitive to areas that are exposed to too many people (especially bikers) or are too easy to escape from.

Parks we've been to with our thoughts:

Rotary Glen Park (Take Sunnyside Ave east of Foothill Dr and go to the entrance just past Mario Capecchi Dr)
This is the park at the entrance to Emigration Canyon next to the Zoo and across from This Is The Place. We love this park because it isolated from foot track, has a large open field to run in and has trees to run through. There is also open water which helps keep our mutt cool and let's him play. There is also open water and a lot of exposed dirt so this park can be VERY muddy - and why at least one towel stays in the car! True, this park is not fenced, but it is an easy one for us to control our dog before he goes too far; and with no people/traffic easily reachable, there are few distractions to run after for the dog.

Millrace Park (1200 W 5400 S, Taylorsville)
This park is down 5400 S not too far west of I-15. There is an actual fenced in dog park there that has paved paths, tubes for the dogs and a few trees. During the summer months there is running water. This park requires a purchased tag, discounted for residents. many people will go to this park after work hours and there are some parking lot lights that make this park usable after dark. The nearby Jordan River Pathway Trail is good for walking, though we have refrained because our dog chases bikers. It is easy access to the river though to let your dog get wet on those hot days. Note: dogs are not allowed in Millrace pond.

Herman Frank's Dog Park (700 E 1300 S, SLC)
This is a smaller park that we have seen frequented by many people. It is any area between baseball diamonds that is not completely fenced. We've only been here once as the area is smaller and the fences are lacking or short.

Pioneer Park (400 S 300 W)
There is a small fenced dog park on the south east side of the park. We've used this when bringing our dog to the farmer's market. It is a chance for him to unwind a bit from all the people around and to be leash free. The fence is high enough and there is some shade to relax on those hot days. There is also running water at this park.

Millcreek Canyon (Head East on 3800 S form Wasatch Blvd)
On odd days during the summer we have found this to be the Mecca of off leash fun. The trails in the back of the canyon that head up to Dog Lake literally turn into a giant dog park on odd weekend days with few visitors not bringing a dog. Parking can be quite a hassle those days. We've enjoyed many of the other trails in the canyon in both winter and summer, opting for skier-less and biker-less trails. We loved the Alexandre Basin Trail! Be sure to pack water for both yourself and your dog as it is a hike. Remember your dog will need as much water as you do!

Parley's Park / Tanner Park (2522 E 2760 S or near Heritage Way intersecting 27th E)
When we first moved out to UT, this was the first park we went to and loved. It is great, absolute wilderness like with lots of dog owners. A stream runs along the paths you can walk up to a larger pool where most people turn around. Sadly, we stopped going here because of the number of bikers. There has also been an ongoing discussion on the park's use for bike vs. dog. I'll be the first to admit I've not followed it as closely as I should have (the fiancée was participating more), so if anyone has more info on what is happening with that area that would be great. We miss going there but decided it wasn't worth risking a bitten biker

These are the parks we've found to be fenced or well controlled. More suggestions would be great and we hope you enjoy our thoughts!

Last edited by cslebn; 03-24-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,598 times
Tanner Park rocks. Best ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area