U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM

13,145 posts, read 21,217,402 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in architecture and urban planning, and I can't help but notice our area is almost completely ignored in books about the subject.

Maybe I'm biased, but in my opinion we have lots beautuiful and noteworthy architecture, on par with anywhere in the country:

Just a couple of examples:

Not to mention the area's incredible natural beauty, which is completely overshadowed by Southern UT...

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images allowed

And despite the fact there are 3 million people living here and we are the biggest urban area for hundreds of miles in any direction, the region is rarely remembered in the country's history, considered influential or of any consequence. The region is ignored by futurists trying to imagine the country (and world) of tomorrow, and we hardly get a mention in planning literature. It's like we aren't even here...

So why is Salt Lake ignored by everyone outside of Utah? It seems to me that lots of the stuff around here should scream: "This is America!" to the world just as loudly as many other iconic cities, structures and locations around the country. Are we too remote? Too small? Too *gasp* Mormonish?

And when Salt Lake is remembered, it's seemingly looked at as a strange foreign country, always "apart", "over there", "backward" and not a integral part of the whole. What gives? Somebody tell me why we are ignored by the rest of the country?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-12-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 AM

5,739 posts, read 12,619,689 times
What have you been *reading* that does *not* mention Utah ??

Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
What have you been *reading* that does *not* mention Utah ??
The Next 100 Million; America in 2050 by Joel Kotkin was the latest book I read...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM

You see... Salt Lake is so ignored that my whiny post on Salt Lake being ignored...was ignored.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM

224 posts, read 595,020 times
My only question is "Who / What else was also ignored?"

I think the answer to your question is that SLC is not the home of the movers and shakers of the country. And I'll bet you won't find North Dakota, Mississippi, Idaho, New Mexico, Maine, or any number of other states/places listed either.

If you want to be part of the vanguard you'll have to live somewhere else, for whatever reason that is just the way it is.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,819,823 times
I dunno, may have to do with non-mormon people not wanting to deal with mormons and being ostracized. Plus it's cold a large portion of the year.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 PM

498 posts, read 1,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I dunno, may have to do with non-mormon people not wanting to deal with mormons and being ostracized. Plus it's cold a large portion of the year.
Umm, those aren't reasons why Salt Lake would be ignored as a major city which is what this thread is about. Most of the United States is cold a large portion of the year.. that's not the issue here...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 9,452,310 times
Uh..., could it be that the architecture (the three nice examples excepted) is not a city known for either bold architecture or particularly good urban planning. I'll admit to not having explored it much but the half dozen or so time I've been it never struck me as much more than a grown up Reno- some nice parts in the old central part of the city surrounded by miles and miles of ex-urban warehouse/tract development. It is situated in a strikingly beautiful part of the country (well, you gotta escape it a bit to the mountains) but the valley itself is a prime example of sprawl and no real focus in my architectural mind.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:26 AM

42 posts, read 126,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Umm, those aren't reasons why Salt Lake would be ignored as a major city which is what this thread is about
Well, Lamborgotti, count the number to "two," at least.

I "ignore" SLC because I immediately equate it with Mormonism and thus, mark it as a "no" on my list of potential destinations. It's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of SLC. I think I'm in the majority to be honest.

For better or worse.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:28 AM

3,376 posts, read 5,576,716 times
I wonder how many have actually been and spent at least a week here before throwing Mormonism and such around.
I'll admit I used to think like everyone else when it came to this region, but after getting into truck driving and spending layovers here, my mind was changed.
The city itself seems to feel just like any other place and there are many hard-working, honest people of any religion doing their thing.
Also, many of the Mormons I've run across don't really seem to make that big a deal out of myself being an outsider, but then again I never came across as outspoken and was always more interested in getting through the day in one piece.
If anything, SLC and many other cities that aren't on the "it" list are generally drama-free and are the "go-to" places for those of us that just want to work, live, and play.
If you want to get on a pedestal and join the social-activism net, then more power to you.

Funny thing is, I actually get more flack from acquaintances where I live in CA due to them thinking I was converted or brain-washed for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area