U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 AM
 
14 posts, read 41,647 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlakecityhereicome
especially how I'm tired of new York and the people here.
O.K...the Hypocrisy Police are going to have to hand out summonses to some of you long time Utah board posters. I shudder to think what response a poster would get if they posted: "I'm tired of Utah and the people here" Or even worse "I'm tired of Utah and all the LDS" Yet the welcome mat gets rolled out unconditionally with no more than a warning there may be some culture shock so long as the potentially offended people are from somewhere else.... Remember the couple that stop the farmer and say "Wer'e thinking of moving here, what are the people like" Farmer says: "What are they like where you are now?" Anyway, good luck on your move saltlakecityhereicome, I'm a New Yorker still toying with the idea of possibly heading out there myself.
..thanks alot and good luck to you to..

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Want to keep it simple
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
515 posts, read 2,260,245 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlakecityhereicome View Post
I am moving to Utah on may 10th 2011 and I'm also transferring with my job.this is really a happy moment for me.it will be worth the move for me,especially how I'm tired of new York and the people here.I'm moving on to bigger and better things in life.and my 1st is the big move and everything else will change for the better..
I moved here almost 3 years ago from North Jersey for similar reasons, and I LOVE it here. The people here are great, and the big huge culture shock everyone talks about is not that huge. For the most part people here are great. The biggest difference I notice is I am more outspoken than many - people here tend to avoid confrontation and can be passive aggressive at times. Not a big deal if you keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlakecityhereicome View Post
Yes @ katzpur I am fully ready to come there,and I'm looking forward to a nice quiet life.despite what everyone says about the Mormon faith and feeling like an outcast: I feel when you do things in life,you should do it because you want to do it.and worry less about hear say.sometimes you just have to find your way and roll with the punches..
For me and my many non-Mormon friends, this just doesn't exist, especially in Salt Lake county, which I assume is where you are headed. I rarely post here any more because I am so sick of the vocal minority in here who whine about this all the time. Unless you have kids in school or live in a cliquey suburban neighborhood where you are determined to be friends with all of your neighbors, it just doesn't happen.* I have never felt like an outcast or been ostracized, and no one has ever asked me about my religion. I have been friendly with plenty of LDS people at work and such - they've all been very nice. In fact it has not been readily apparent who is LDS and who is not.

*I will add that if you work for a company with a huge majority of LDS folks, there may be some issues - I do not so I don't know. It's not been an issue in the 2 places I have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
Please report back and let us know how you are doing. I suggest you join a church group to make friends. Good Luck!
And there are a lot of great ways to meet people for those like me who will not set foot in a church. Check out meetup.com, which is very active here and is a great way to meet people.

Good luck with your move!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
 
2,236 posts, read 2,688,269 times
Reputation: 3109
Not offered up to be rude or disrespectful, just trying to keep this thread in perspective, and the comment about New York and the people there, well I suppose the classification of sentiment is an individual thing.

The following quotes are from a Utah board member in response to people posting on the Utah boards in the past.

Person's Comment: "This is another thing, anytime you express any kind of displeasure or even a hint of negativity about Utah In an unhostile way -- all of a sudden people jump to defend it or make snide remarks"

Utah board member's response: "That's not the truth. Any time you make negative generalizations about three million people, your' gong to offend an enourmous number of very nice people. Why would you be surprised or think it inappropriate fot those people jump to defend themselves?"

Person's Comment: So that's how it is out here and a lot of people may not see it that way cuz they are lds and not liberal. But I think everyone will know and see it my way on the economy thing. I am moving cuz of it. and where I am moving to has alot of jobs.. Maybe cuz it's a big city but not like NYC that a lot of people are going to. If u are here and don't have a job good luck is bad out there

Utah board members response: "Don't let the door hit your backside on the way out. "

These just two exaples found 27 pages in to well over 100 pages of past posts, how many would I uncover If I kept going? I can of course provide chapter and verse but choose to leave poster(s) anonymous because it is only my intent to clarify hypocrisy and double standard.

Offered in an unhostile non-threatening academic format for clarification and reference. The passages I have quoted are active (though now archival) and have not been deleted or modified.

Moderator cut: can't comment on mod actions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,856 posts, read 63,459,707 times
Reputation: 19347
Don't forget we have a "living in UT FAQ" thread in the Utah forum. Lots of good info there.
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
4,971 posts, read 4,097,680 times
Reputation: 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
Please report back and let us know how you are doing. I suggest you join a church group to make friends. Good Luck!
The beauty of this place - actually any place - is that you DON'T have to join a church to make friends.

We didn't - and it works for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
8,187 posts, read 8,683,815 times
Reputation: 3627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Not offered up to be rude or disrespectful, just trying to keep this thread in perspective, and the comment about New York and the people there, well I suppose the classification of sentiment is an individual thing.

The following quotes are from a Utah board member in response to people posting on the Utah boards in the past.

Person's Comment: "This is another thing, anytime you express any kind of displeasure or even a hint of negativity about Utah In an unhostile way -- all of a sudden people jump to defend it or make snide remarks"

Utah board member's response: "That's not the truth. Any time you make negative generalizations about three million people, your' gong to offend an enourmous number of very nice people. Why would you be surprised or think it inappropriate fot those people jump to defend themselves?"

Person's Comment: So that's how it is out here and a lot of people may not see it that way cuz they are lds and not liberal. But I think everyone will know and see it my way on the economy thing. I am moving cuz of it. and where I am moving to has alot of jobs.. Maybe cuz it's a big city but not like NYC that a lot of people are going to. If u are here and don't have a job good luck is bad out there

Utah board members response: "Don't let the door hit your backside on the way out. "

These just two exaples found 27 pages in to well over 100 pages of past posts, how many would I uncover If I kept going? I can of course provide chapter and verse but choose to leave poster(s) anonymous because it is only my intent to clarify hypocrisy and double standard.

Offered in an unhostile non-threatening academic format for clarification and reference. The passages I have quoted are active (though now archival) and have not been deleted or modified.

Moderator cut: can't comment on mod actions
Most of the time people who post things about "the Mormons" get a little more blow back. Saying "people" in general (as the person said about NYC) is one thing, getting specific about a race or religion is another.

As I like to say, go on the NYC board about talk about "those Jews" or go on the Santa Ana board and talk about "those Mexicans", then report back how your were treated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Philippines
1,961 posts, read 4,204,608 times
Reputation: 2776
Any one person is going to have a different experience. I moved from Washington, DC, where I lived in a very urban environment - I did not own a car for 7 years I lived there, everything I needed was a 15 minute or less walk from my apartment. There was always something to do, and rarely had to think about what places would be open on what days.

Did I experience some culture shock? Sure. though I am sure that happens any place you move. All the places I have moved have involved some amount of "culture shock". If you have been living in NYC for all these years, I cannot imagine NOT having an adjustment period. My first impressions were to wonder why the roads were so wide (seriously, on most streets at least here in Logan, you could drive at least 4 cars lined up on the residential streets. The other thing that stood out to me is that Utah is very white.

Sure, most people here are nice. But I have encountered nice people everywhere I have lived. I have not had any outright nasty experiences, but I did have a neighbor eventually come over and introduce herself (she said she was not going to at first because she noticed we were "sunday skiers") After that though, we wave, say hello, etc and she brought over a little gift after I had my baby in November.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
 
2,236 posts, read 2,688,269 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Most of the time people who post things about "the Mormons" get a little more blow back. Saying "people" in general (as the person said about NYC) is one thing, getting specific about a race or religion is another.

As I like to say, go on the NYC board about talk about "those Jews" or go on the Santa Ana board and talk about "those Mexicans", then report back how your were treated.
First off, thank you hilgi for your insight, you are the only poster who has directly addressed my observation.

The two examples I gave where found going only 27 pages into a nearly 130 page backlog, one apparently is a response to someone complaining about Mormons AND Utahn's in general, the other from what I gathered a complaint against only Utahn's.

So it runs about 50/50 (Or 75/25 if you consider the first complaint a split). I dare say balance would have maintained or possibly swung more on the side of reaction against complaints of Utahn's in general had I gone forward.

One piece of advice states the O.P. has the right attitude, but DEPARTURE attitude is just as important as ARRIVAL attitude. An alternative advice might have been "You have the right attitude going forward, but you might want to work on those New York issues before you get here".

The story of the couple asking the farmer what folks are like in a community they are thinking of settling in, the old cliches "You take yourself with you wherever you go" "Boredom is a state of mind", etc. etc. as relevant as ever.

For statistical research porposes, and in the name of social science, would the O.P. consider going over to the New York board, starting a thread that states "I'm tired of New York and the people" so we can guage the reaction for comparison? Would New Yorkers be more or less reactionary, compassionate or understanding, etc.?

This away from the safety of doing so in a state nearly accross the country, but the O.P. would be well worthy of courage in the name of progress of course....

Anyway, post is running long and issue could be argued as off topic, although I personally feel it is in bounds topic wise regarding nature of thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
427 posts, read 1,255,748 times
Reputation: 223
What should the responses have been then? 'Shame on you sir for putting down New Yorkers! You're not welcome to Salt Lake City nor Utah!' ?
Plus, if someone wrote I hate Utah in the New York board no one here would care.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Philippines
1,961 posts, read 4,204,608 times
Reputation: 2776
^^ I don't know about that. However, in general, if you do not like the people in one place, you are probably not going to like the people in a new place. I don't personally find people here to be any nicer than the people I encountered in DC. Acquaintances I would get get together with occasionally when I was in DC would always complain about how awful things were, and if they just moved to "x" location, life would be so much better.

So I don't think that it is necessarily a given that if the OP hates NY and the people, that Utah is going to be some mecca of friendliness and shiny happy people for him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top