U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM

25,965 posts, read 27,141,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Besides most of CC is residential/business not retail. I don't think Deseret Books or Haggerman's is going to kill Barnes and Nobles or the food court at the Gateway.
Actually, the two anchor stores are going to be Macy's and Nordstrom, so the retail aspect of the center should bring in quite a bit of business. I think the really significant thing is that there is a real focus on the residential aspect. People are going to shop near where they live. If no one lives downtown, they're not going to shop downtown, but with a community of residents, the downtown area should start thriving again. Then, too, there is going to be a Harmon's Supermarket right off State Street at Social Hall Avenue. That's going to be wonderful! How many times have you been staying downtown in a large city and been unable to find a supermarket anywhere in the area? A supermarket the size of Harmon's will be fantastic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 AM

498 posts, read 1,376,600 times
ZCMI and Crossroads were established long before Gateway, which was formerly a rail yard. That was built prior to the Olympics because downtown was pretty quiet and under built, and there needed to be a fun, lively hangout. Nothing prior to then met that demand. When they saw the success of the Gateway, and the malls on Main Street were well passed their prime, they recognized that Main Street had potential, and that something new needed to be done to revive it. This is a private development. The developers distinctly wanted to develop this area for their own reasons. Their concerns weren't as much about where malls were lacking and where they were wanted. That's just how capitalism works.

A better question might be to ask why they chose to build another outdoor mall, but there are several reasons. When the original malls were built in the '70s, they were intended to revitalize the area after downtown had gone through a rough period as more and more people fled to the suburbs, where indoor malls also happened to be the new rage. The downtown malls, however, basically sucked whatever street life there was off of the street. Part of the objective of City Creek is to re-open the massive downtown blocks to increase vibrancy in the area. The resulting layout will actually be more similar to the blocks in the early 20th century, when downtown was very vibrant. Much of the mall will also be indoor-outdoor, so it's not exactly following a period trend.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 AM

3,161 posts, read 6,224,406 times
KBYU had a feature quite a while back which went over Salt Lake City in the 40's and 50's. Interestingly enough back then Downtown was "where it was at" back then. They had many stores and shops (many now long gone to history) which were "THE" places to shop and go. Back then people dressed more formal, and it was most common to see women all dressed up with hats and white gloves etc. Men in suits. As you mentioned in the late 60's malls were born (such as Cottonwood now of course gone). And then of course you had others such as Fashion Place and more that came into being. When I came here in the late 70's Downtown was still breathing, although the suburbs had already come quite alive. Draper and Herriman didn't exist for the most part (just large open fields) and Sandy was a fledgling place as much rural as developed. Even places like Taylorsville, Kearns and West Jordan were very rural by comparison to today.

I remember working for a bit at the corner of 41st and Redwood Road. The drive out there from Holladay involved a LOT of countryside. Not like today. Not to harp on an old subject, but since places like Taylorsville and Kearns were still being developed, they had no real crime back then, and West Valley City certainly didn't have the stigma it now earns. but I digress. I suspect that the City Creek development and development and cleaning up Main Street and parts of State Street WILL bring a lot more traffic to Downtown. I happened to go there recently for a company party to Biaggi's at the Gateway. I hadn't been down that way before. Man that place was hopping on a Saturday night. Packed with tons of foot traffic. They did a wonderful job figuring out their parking, as the parking garage, while packed had tons of extra space to allow for a tremendous amount of people to park, so they did some homework there to their credit. In the coming next few years I have little doubt Downtown WILL be a pretty strong destination for entertainment. After all there isn't much of that type in the suburbs.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,833,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
The thing that always bugged me about that mall is it became a hangout for undesirables, teens and just not a good place to go in general. I sure hope the "clean" the area up as far as those that hang out there. Otherwise it won't be a very nice place once finished either.
Because everyone knows that a place where teens like to hangout MUST be dangerous.

But anyway, it sounds like SLC is going to have some good stuff in the center of town. A supermarket? I wish Denver would get on that boat! We have cool stores and restaurants in our 16th Street Mall, but we have yet to get a good anchor department store or supermarket downtown. Good for SLC!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,056,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Because everyone knows that a place where teens like to hangout MUST be dangerous.

But anyway, it sounds like SLC is going to have some good stuff in the center of town. A supermarket? I wish Denver would get on that boat! We have cool stores and restaurants in our 16th Street Mall, but we have yet to get a good anchor department store or supermarket downtown. Good for SLC!
Harmon's is a Utah chain that has their own wonderful baked goods and a deli where they make their own stuff. They feature local products, too. It is my favorite store in town.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 AM

86 posts, read 99,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Harmon's is a Utah chain that has their own wonderful baked goods and a deli where they make their own stuff. They feature local products, too. It is my favorite store in town.
is it as good as Whole foods?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,056,995 times
It'd s a regular grocery, not an organic/vegan type place - although they have those things in smaller quantities.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 PM

498 posts, read 1,376,600 times
Much better than Whole Foods. I hate to hear them in the same sentence.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM

99 posts, read 239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
They aren't throwing a mall in a new area; city creek replaces the Crossroads mall and ZCMI center, which have been there since the 70's. Also there is a bit of Mormon vs non-mormon stuff going on here.

But yea, ultimately it's a bit silly to put them so close together.
Yes, this is what I wanted to point out. There were two malls previously where the City Creek Center is going up. It's just replacing two old malls with a new mall.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,638 times
ZCMI Center Mall and Crossroads Mall were in existence since the mid 70s and early 80s (respectively). Unfortunately, the 2 downtown malls adjacent to Temple Square though once extremely popular were getting outdated and passe despite a few strong tenants such as Nordstrom and ZCMI (later to become Meier & Frank and eventually Macy's). Around the time of the Olympics, the Gateway seized the opportunity and developed the open-air mall a few blocks away and was able to secure new stores and in some ways lure existing stores away from Crossroads Mall and ZCMI Mall. The owners of ZCMI Center Mall and Crossroads Mall (Zions Securities) demolished the malls with the intent to rebuild the new City Creek Center. The Gateway will keep the entertainment venues (theaters, planetarium, and children's museum. I hope both can thrive and play off of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area