Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

You are right Belle. Having spent over 40 years in the jewelry industry I have to say Utah is NOT the "high end" nirvana market for the Jewelry manufacturers. I covered 17 States and Utah wasn't even a consideration for my line, which was a designer line more modern than the traditional stuff found here typically. O.C. Tanner has probably the largest overall following of the LDS faithful who have REAL money. Bennion would likely be at least #2. Tiffany is cool and all but it won't attain the income levels of the average here. They are more used to the Sierra West, Shane Company or the wholesalers on 2nd South and the like. As for restaurants even though I prefer a good high end one if for no other reason than to avoid the kiddies, it's not something I do often. I guess the governing elite wanted to present to the public, that Salt Lake was a REAL big time city image wise. I'll stick with the tried and true here. Like good ole' Bachers Bakery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have to agree with dcesive, there are not a lot of flashy/blinged up people here. Not at the opera, not at the symphony, not at Sunday services, not at the better restaurents. This is an old-money, low-key kind of town. Bennion's Jewelry, which is an old-line store catering to old money, has tasteful items but not the in-your-face pieces you might see in other cities. (I heard Elizabeth Smart's rings were bought there, from someone who happened to be in the store the same day they were in.)
I kind of (well, really, really) question Tiffany's thinking they can make it here, as well as a couple of other stores. I think that in most of the other cases, though, there is a large enough market here to be able to pay support the stores. And the thing is, there's a good mix. I'm surprised at how many people love H&M. As far as I'm concerned, the clothes there may be fashionable, but they're certain not all that well-made. A lot of twenty- and thrity-somethings will be shopping there, as well as at Forever 21.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I LOVE the Gateway in the summer months when it is warm enough to walk around without lugging a huge coat, being the winter hermit that I am, of course. I would expect that I am not the only one who feels like that. That could account for what would appear to be a lack of patronage right now.
Well I think it was in the 60s last Friday, and I am pretty sure I saw half of Utah at City Creek the same night. So I am guessing that weather had little effect on it.

On the bright side, since you like the outdoorsness of the Gateway, you should love City Creek then.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
You could be right, but I know that a mere 60ish degrees or so would NOT make me walk outside while shopping.

I do like Gateway so that I can shop on Sundays...I will check out City Creek sometime.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I will go take a look at it in July, when my parents visit.I am more excited about the Harmons grocery store then anything else.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
You could be right, but I know that a mere 60ish degrees or so would NOT make me walk outside while shopping.

I do like Gateway so that I can shop on Sundays...I will check out City Creek sometime.
If you like Gateway, kaytidid, you will absolutely love City Creek.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you like Gateway, kaytidid, you will absolutely love City Creek.
Except that on Sunday, only 2 restaurants will be open but no stores. You can enjoy the fountain, the creek, and the architecture.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
I will go take a look at it in July, when my parents visit.I am more excited about the Harmons grocery store then anything else.
I read something about if you bring out-of-towners with you to City Creek, you can get discounted tickets to the planetarium and things.

There's something here about it:
http://www.shopcitycreekcenter.com/visitors#details

But the details were on some Trib article I can't find right now.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Thank you, will have to look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area