Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM

103 posts, read 304,602 times

Advertisements

I was just in San Francisco this past weekend and as I waited for the bus near Union Square, I realized that I was surrounded by a lot of stores that will be at City Creek Center. We're talking Tumi, Swarovski, Tiffany, BCBGMAXAZRIA (bcbgwha?), Porsche Design, etc. The stores lineup so far is vastly different from what is available at the Gateway. I suspect those used to "big city" shopping will appreciate it. I'm not sure I'll be doing much shopping there myself. I hardly visit the Gateway as it is. I am excited to see the architectural aspect of City Creek though, then I'll probably be over it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,230,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
I was just in San Francisco this past weekend and as I waited for the bus near Union Square, I realized that I was surrounded by a lot of stores that will be at City Creek Center. We're talking Tumi, Swarovski, Tiffany, BCBGMAXAZRIA (bcbgwha?), Porsche Design, etc. The stores lineup so far is vastly different from what is available at the Gateway. I suspect those used to "big city" shopping will appreciate it. I'm not sure I'll be doing much shopping there myself. I hardly visit the Gateway as it is. I am excited to see the architectural aspect of City Creek though, then I'll probably be over it .
sounds expensive

Old 10-14-2011, 02:08 PM

103 posts, read 304,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
sounds expensive

Yes it does! I'm surprised they aren't throwing in Saks Fifth Ave.

Last edited by teraval; 10-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,246,959 times
Just wanted to add I went to Gateway for a movie last Friday. It was a ghost-town.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,821,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
It was a ghost-town.
When the *newness* wears off, everything will go back to normal.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,246,959 times
I don't know. I also saw a lot of empty store fronts. I don't know if its just a seasonal thing or if those shops actually moved to City Creek. I hope it returns, it would be terrible if the "old" hip-mall went under.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM

27,997 posts, read 29,828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I don't know. I also saw a lot of empty store fronts. I don't know if its just a seasonal thing or if those shops actually moved to City Creek. I hope it returns, it would be terrible if the "old" hip-mall went under.
I suspect that the vacancies will be filled. There's still room downtown for a lot of stores that are not found in either Gateway or City Creek. I think Gateway is going to suffer some temporary setbacks, but I certainly don't think it's going to go under. This time of the year isn't the busiest for any retail stores.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,960,030 times
I LOVE the Gateway in the summer months when it is warm enough to walk around without lugging a huge coat, being the winter hermit that I am, of course. I would expect that I am not the only one who feels like that. That could account for what would appear to be a lack of patronage right now.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,739,295 times
Since I work in the commercial security industry I am very familiar with the Gateway operation overall. Frankly many businesses that started there didn't make it through the Recession. And many struggle today. I'm not convinced the Gateway is nor will remain a healthy commercial investment. If the economy were to really boom (like it did in the late 90's) then there might be some hope. I understand all the enthusiasm behind City Creek, but quite frankly while there is plenty of money in Salt Lake it is extravagant by our standards here and it may be a nice curiosity for now, but I can NOT see how many of those high end stores will remain profitable enough to remain. We shall see.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,708,579 times
I have to agree with dcesive, there are not a lot of flashy/blinged up people here. Not at the opera, not at the symphony, not at Sunday services, not at the better restaurents. This is an old-money, low-key kind of town. Bennion's Jewelry, which is an old-line store catering to old money, has tasteful items but not the in-your-face pieces you might see in other cities. (I heard Elizabeth Smart's rings were bought there, from someone who happened to be in the store the same day they were in.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area