Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,762 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! We're moving to Utah in the next month -- DH just started a job in Provo. We were going to try to stay close to his work, but are beginning to think we might need to be in SL county, just for a little more diversity. How bad is the traffic/weather at Point of the Mountain? I'd like to save my hubby the hassle of sitting in traffic for hours on end, but I'm not sure Utah county is going to be a good fit for us (thanks to all the informed contributors to this site!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvanatta View Post
Hi, all! We're moving to Utah in the next month -- DH just started a job in Provo. We were going to try to stay close to his work, but are beginning to think we might need to be in SL county, just for a little more diversity. How bad is the traffic/weather at Point of the Mountain? I'd like to save my hubby the hassle of sitting in traffic for hours on end, but I'm not sure Utah county is going to be a good fit for us (thanks to all the informed contributors to this site!).
Provo may not be a good fit for you if you're not LDS. I wouldn't want to subject anyone to a daily winter commute around the Point of the Mountain, though. Hopefully, some other posters will be able to come up with some alternative suggestions.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM

973 posts, read 2,140,950 times
I know it's awhile coming, but, eventually there's supposed to be a Front Runner type train that comes & goes to Utah County off our Trax system, isn't there?

I can't comment on Point of the Mountain, but kudos on the lingo. There are plenty of drivers from Utah Cty who come into SL Cty everyday, & some who do the opposite. Not as many, I'd think. Perhaps less traffic would be 'worth' it? Except on holiday weekends, especially in the summer, getting south, oy!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Definitely stay in SLC. I don't think it's a big deal at all. Now if you were driving to Park City everyday that would be a different story!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Depending on where you start from in SLC County, you could stay away from Point of the Mountain.
Take Redwood or Bangerter south, go toward Camp Williams,
and continue past Lehi, then take the Pioneer crossing back to I-15.
I do all the time when I drive to *south* of *civilization*.
But ... , if that will relieve some of the congestion to Provo,
is another question.
Until UDOT will be finished with the roads,
there will always be some congestion, past American Fork.
Either way, still a long drive ...
So, the question is, does one not mind driving a long way 5 days a week, to work, instead of driving a long way just a couple of days a week to find *diversity* ???

When the OP mentions *a bit more diversity*, what kind of diversity ?

If you *can not stand* to be around LDS people,
then even working in Provo,
(being in very close proximity of LDS co-workers at work for 8 hours),
may be a daily punishment ???
Lots of kids around you, drives you nuts ?
You've got a problem !
You hate going to a *special* store, to get liquids laced with alcohol ?
You've got a problem !

If one is not LDS, living in Utah county *may* become a problem, but that all depends on one's outlook on life in general.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,591,164 times
UDOT (Utah dept of transportation) does a really good job of clearing the snow off I-15. I wouldn't want to drive it every day, but I don't think there are THAT many trecherous commutes over it during winter. Perhaps your husband's company will enable him to telecommute or take the day off if his job allows for it when the weather's really bad.

At a minimum, make sure he has a front wheel drive vehicle.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
It gets icy under the snow at times and traffic slows down a lot (and rightfully so)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,762 times
Thanks for the info, everybody. Irman, my husband agrees that it makes more sense to live closer to work, and just make the long drive outta town on the weekends to church or other activities out of Happy Valley . . . Speaking of HV, Irman, I love kids (mine, anyway!). Don't have a problem with the blue laws (I'm coming from the Bible Belt, ya know), and I don't think that I "can't stand" the Mormon factor, etc. I guess I'm more concerned that they won't be able to stand me! Hehe! Maybe that's not the correct term for it. I've read on this forum (I think) that if you're not LDS and you choose willingly to live in the midst of Utah County, you've got no one to blame but yourself if you end up kind of lonely, alone, not loving the life, and that you should have listened to the posters here who advise against it. Not because the LDS population isn't wonderful/kind/friendly, etc., but because they have a full life of activities revolving around church and those relationships and don't have any "need" for anyone else (again, maybe that's not the correct word to use, but maybe you kwim?). Anyhoo, I'm a loner anyway, have no fears about getting on the internet to find other non-LDS to socialize with, etc. when I feel the need to come out of hibernation. My biggest concern (and I guess I should have stated this originally) is making sure my 2nd grader has a positive experience in the public school system. After speaking with my hubby tonight, we have almost absolutely decided to take the chance, hope that the Mormons will tolerate us (and maybe even love us! , put our kid in the school, keep the closer commute, and become residents of Happy Valley (I love saying that! . Thanks everyone for your advice. Keep it coming, if you can think of anything else that might help us out.
F.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM

973 posts, read 2,140,950 times
PS The original Happy Valley is Penn State. We are Penn State! As they've said forever.

As far as 'diversity', I read that to mean more 'stuff', like shopping diversity, food, which SL county has more than Utah county. They have alot, but, I feel, we just have more here.

I would just recommend renting 1st, no matter where you choose, to get a feel for where you want to live, &, see what roads & public transport is in the works in the near future. =)

Hope to meet you soon! =)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,437 times
My partner works in downtown Provo and we live in SLC; for us, living in Utah County was just not an option--we weren't willing to be without the cultural opportunities and diversity that Salt Lake provides.

That said, the commute isn't fun and he's always keeping an eye out for a job in SLC. But he only drives one day a week and rides Trax and the Provo Express bus the rest of the week. It makes the commute very affordable, though it amounts to 80 minutes travel each way. Fortunately, both Trax and the express buses offer wi-fi, so he works the whole time.

You could also live in northern Utah County (Lehi maybe) or southern SL County (Draper, Herriman, Riverton). Then the commute to Provo AND downtown SLC would be 30-40 minutes... best of both worlds, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area