Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM

77 posts, read 282,026 times

Advertisements

I live out near 111 as well (and am in apartments- I'm guessing the same complex as Shroud perhaps? ) and have for about a year and half now. I have to say that while this area is very nice and new and safe, it feels very dead. I used to live over in East Millcreek and have found myself having to drive so far from West West Jordan to get to places I love. I miss being within a reasonable distance to places like Whole Foods and I really miss having nice parks like Sugarhouse Park. West Jordan's Veterans Memorial Park feels completely dead most of the time and lacks the charisma of other city parks. I didn't think these kinds of things would matter that much but it adds up over time.

The other detractor I see to the far west part of West Jordan is the abysmal traffic situation. One lane roads combined with what looks to be endless construction projects for the next few years (mountain view corridor which they are working on right now, the soon-to-be started under/overpasses on Bangerter at 78/70/62). If a road is closed or inconvenient there aren't many other good options out here; you feel sort of trapped. But hey, at least we've got the national guard by Jordan Landing if there's an emergency or something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM

973 posts, read 2,135,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghungroo View Post
I live out near 111 as well (and am in apartments- I'm guessing the same complex as Shroud perhaps? ) and have for about a year and half now. I have to say that while this area is very nice and new and safe, it feels very dead. I used to live over in East Millcreek and have found myself having to drive so far from West West Jordan to get to places I love. I miss being within a reasonable distance to places like Whole Foods and I really miss having nice parks like Sugarhouse Park. West Jordan's Veterans Memorial Park feels completely dead most of the time and lacks the charisma of other city parks. I didn't think these kinds of things would matter that much but it adds up over time.

The other detractor I see to the far west part of West Jordan is the abysmal traffic situation. One lane roads combined with what looks to be endless construction projects for the next few years (mountain view corridor which they are working on right now, the soon-to-be started under/overpasses on Bangerter at 78/70/62). If a road is closed or inconvenient there aren't many other good options out here; you feel sort of trapped. But hey, at least we've got the national guard by Jordan Landing if there's an emergency or something...
To each their own. I get claustrophobic anywhere east of State St. lol I'm from Akron, OH (pop 200K since the 70's when I was born lol) , old, not newer, like out here. I'm excited for the MVC. I drive 78, 82, New Bingham, 111, & 90th alot. I like that it's 'dead' out here. I have a family & prefer the sleepiness of W WJ.

True, when roads are closed it's inconvenient, but, I'd rather fewer roads then all the traffic on the east side (I don't mean stopped, just the number of cars lol) . I recall 7th east being under construction for a 'bit' (not sure if it still is, as I don't get out that way much) . I'll drive a little more for less cars & quieter roads (notice the quiet theme I like lol, & I'm only in my 30's lol) .

Not much of a park person, we are more hikers & bike riders. & I like the quieter streets, so my kids can ride on the berm w/ us (they are 6 & 7) . We do visit Liberty Park every now & then for the water area, but, again, insanely crowded in the summer.

That what makes Utah so great. =) We all have differing opinions, which is wonderful. I don't want everyone to move way west. Then it would be too crowded. lol

PS We also have a fire station maybe 2 miles from our neighborhood, so, they can handle most of our emergencies. I've seen the ambulance on our street once since I moved here.

I also have a ton of friends who also live on the west side (most not as west as me, but still, west side lol) , so, that is a big factor for me as well. I only have one really close friend on the east side. &, she is looking to move back west w/ us.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 12,157 times
Yes Ghungroo, it sounds as if we may be in the same complex. I have to agree with the fact that it almost feels dead. Coming from Southern California where life is always on "Go", the quiet west end of West Jordan takes some adjustment.

I feel as if I have to drive forever to get to any sort of civilization. While Jordans Landing is fairly close, still seems like ot takes forever to get there...particularly if you just have to run to the store for bread or milk.

Good to hear the they are doing a under/overpasses on Bangerter at 78/70/62...trying to get across that intersection is miserable.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,722,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
I relocated to the Salt Lake City area from Rancho Cucamonga, CA last week. I had trouble finding a 3 BR rentals along the eastern half of the city as many areas had nothing availible.

As a result, the only availibility (in my price range) was in West Jordan. I don't know a great deal about the West Jordan area and would like to know if it is relatively safe and how the schools in the Jordan School district measure up (particulary West Hills Middle School). Any pros and cons about the area would be muc appreciated.

I know that there are probably more desirable areas to live, but just trying to get a feel for how (West) West Jordan is overall.
Like it's already been said, West Jordan is not the best part of town, but it's hardly a Compton or Inglewood. I wouldn't worry too much about it; after you've lived in Salt Lake for a bit you can always move on to greener pastures.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,723,422 times
Those developments out West by 111 are so new I can't imagine them being atypical of spots with issues as yet. So it's a pretty safe bet for now at least.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM

313 posts, read 775,583 times
It's not a bad spot to raise kids at all.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,241,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Those developments out West by 111 are so new I can't imagine them being atypical of spots with issues as yet. So it's a pretty safe bet for now at least.
Is that the part of WJ they call Oquirrh?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM

762 posts, read 2,110,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Yes; in 2000 the CDP of Oquirrh was annexed by West Jordan.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 AM

973 posts, read 2,135,009 times
Quote:
Yes/No. lol Those who don't live here, are more likely to use the term Oquirrh, as in the Oquirrh Mtns. Those that live here, probably because the local school does, use terms like 'The Oaks', 'The Sycamores', 'The Maples', yes, trees, but after the street names, ie, my street is an Oak street (close to the school, 'Oak'crest. ) , Maple is north, & Sycamore is west. Yes, west. lol Our local elementary school used those names when sending letters asking for PTA help. lol The apt's were referred to as the apt's/Serenity area.

The newer, closest temple is called the Oquirrh Mountain Temple (in South Jordan) , so, I think that plays into it??? I am not LDS, but I know I'm in the Sunset Ridge Stake (the local church hubby plays basketball at &, we were told, the new one is a stake church. He just plays, &, I guess hubby is good, as, he's 'strongly' invited to play on leagues & join in ward scouts Dads events. Again, not said in malice, just, really, for me/us, being a part of our 'hood . I love it! &, I know my ward. Mine is more because I'm anal about numbers. lol My neighbor teases me about it.

I think of Oquirrh more as KOFC, or the Shadow Mtn area NE of us.

I never say any of my posts as negative, just what I hear. Perhaps I'd be negative if we didn't try to join activities & were rebuffed???

NOT saying you do sp2007 (NOT, NOT) , but, maybe others who at least don't make an effort, don't feel a part of their 'hood???

I know newbies shouldn't have to feel they have to 'play the part', but, I feel, if I'm a new mover, I'll at least make an effort to get to know my neighbors before I chastise them.

Again, not saying anyone is, just my experience. Great here in Utah.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM

494 posts, read 1,890,968 times
Quote:
Oquirrh is actually farther north and not as west. The previous post is correct; it was annexed into West Jordan over a decade ago (used to previously be unincorporated county). I would consider the boundaries 4800 West to the East, 6200 to the North, 5600 to the West, and 7000 South to the south. Usually it's known as the "Oquirrh Shadows" development. Definitely not the best place in West Jordan, but it's better than other areas of the County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area