U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM

236 posts, read 594,914 times

Advertisements

Okay, DH has accepted a job out there and will be setting up a "temporary" household/apartment/condo. Temporary could be a few years but temporary in the sense that we are not selling our home and I will not be moving out there. I've received all kinds of other good info here about where he might possibly want to live.

He thinks he would like to live somewhere in the city (downtown, sugarhouse, etc.) That seems to be in the heart of the nasty inversion. I've read bits and pieces about this inversion thing but I don't have a grasp on how big of a deal this is.

So fill me in on this - what exactly is this, how bad is it and if one decided it were unbearable where do you have to live to avoid it?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM

23 posts, read 52,675 times
you aren't going to escape it unless you move so far (from where his job is) that the extra commute isn't worth it.

To me, last year being my first year, it wasn't that big of a deal. It certainly is ugly. But, typically, after a couple days there is some wind that blows things out. There was only one time where this past winter that I actually started really noticing it in my breathing and "tasting" it. The air had been stale for about a week. Just as I was thinking, "this really sucks" there was a windstorm that cleared it all out. It also seemed to disappear and not really be an issue at all for the last half of winter. No idea if last year was typical or not, but, all I know is that it kind of made me reappreciate how stuningly beautiful the mountains are when they'd "reappear" after being hidden for a few days.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,117,357 times
I have asthma so I watch the 'red air" alert days on the TV weather forecast. I stay indoors on those days and I don't have a problem. The very young, elderly, and anyone with lung issues are warned to stay indoors. I used to ignore it and I wheezed. Now I don't. I think the worst one lasted maybe 6 days? Can't remember. Just don't go jogging/walking during one and you won't hae problems at any age/health.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Okay - so this is something that comes and goes. In the winter only correct? What % of the time would you say you have this condition? It sounds similar to our air quality warnings although I never notice much of anything when we have those - other than a bit of haze. They are rare where we live (MN). He does have mild asthma though and likes to run. He completely ignores any air quality warnings here though and it doesn't seem to affect him. He will just deal with it. He definitely wouldn't find it worth living a long ways away to avoid it.

By the way I'm making my first visit in late August - we are hoping to decide on a place for him to live while I'm there. Then I will be back sometime after that to help him set up his man cave.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM

835 posts, read 1,951,404 times
We do get some " air action" days in the summer-more of the Ozone thing where in the winter it is particulate matter..Our summer has been quite mild with only one day above 100 so I have only seen the Ozone alert once or twice.
There really is no way to predict how the " inversion season" will shape up as it is weather dependent. L
The inversion forms when cold air is trapped at the ground and warmer air is above it-Salt Lake is in a bowl so that bowl adds to the "trapping" if you will..if weather systems move through on a frequent basis, the wind that comes with the system mixes the atmosphere and if the winds are strong enough, the inversion is gone.
I do not suffer ill effects from the stuff and as Hilgi only sees the stuff when he looks across to the East side, I only see the stuff when I look across to the West side.
I guess a person could rent a place up in the Cottonwood Canyons to " live" above it and then you incur another set of problems with 4x4 with Snow tire requirements/ road closures..Don't let people tell you that Park City is free of inversions cuz it's not..I lived up there for 15 years and continued working up there for 2 winters after we moved and there is " stuff" there too..

Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,993,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3000 View Post
Okay - so this is something that comes and goes. In the winter only correct? What % of the time would you say you have this condition? It sounds similar to our air quality warnings although I never notice much of anything when we have those - other than a bit of haze. They are rare where we live (MN). He does have mild asthma though and likes to run. He completely ignores any air quality warnings here though and it doesn't seem to affect him. He will just deal with it. He definitely wouldn't find it worth living a long ways away to avoid it.

By the way I'm making my first visit in late August - we are hoping to decide on a place for him to live while I'm there. Then I will be back sometime after that to help him set up his man cave.
I only went through 2 winters there so I may not have seen as much as some of these people have but each year there was probably less than 3-4 weeks of inversion while I was there. It would last for a week or so then blow out, another would develop a few weeks later and stay for a week or so then repeat the pattern. Sure, its impossible to say how long or how often but dont be alarmed that your going to be sitting in smog for the whole winter

Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks all - very helpful.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 PM

7,855 posts, read 8,288,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3000 View Post

The upside is it usually very cold when we have the worst inversion, you don't really want to hang outside that much anyway.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM

52 posts, read 156,849 times
These past 2 winters I have had to go to SLC for work constantly--I didn't live there, but often spent 8am-5pm in the city proper. I have no breathing/lung conditions, and to be honest, I did not notice the inversion whatsoever. Didn't feel it, smell it.... nothing. From my perspective it was like a phantom that existed only on the TV news. I came from big cities where you can feel the nasty air (literally, in your nose and eyes at the end of each day), and IMO by comparison the inversion is a nonentity. Based on what I personally have experienced firsthand, I would not hesitate to live within city limits because of air quality.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM

25,547 posts, read 26,220,783 times
For me, it's more of a "seeing it" thing than a "feeling it or smelling it" thing. It's ugly. Real ugly. But it doesn't last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area