U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 11,840 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I plan on moving to the SLC area and have narrowed it down between Bountiful and Murray. Can anyone please help with this decision? I mostly need to know about crime,traffic,shopping,housing prices(both rentals and homes for sale) and schools in both areas. My son will be a sophomore in High School and we are LDS so that is not an issue. Thank-You in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 PM

25,826 posts, read 26,641,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle421 View Post
Hi! My family and I plan on moving to the SLC area and have narrowed it down between Bountiful and Murray. Can anyone please help with this decision? I mostly need to know about crime,traffic,shopping,housing prices(both rentals and homes for sale) and schools in both areas. My son will be a sophomore in High School and we are LDS so that is not an issue. Thank-You in advance.
Bountiful. No contest.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,944,137 times
I live in Murray near Fashion Place and it is a really great area. The schools in Murray are really great. I think I heard that the Murray and Logan school districts are the best in Utah. Our area is very nice and quiet, very convenient (being right near the freeway), several shopping malls near by, crime is very low in our area (I don't know if I'd wanna live in west Murray though) I'm not too sure about housing pricing but if you're looking for a newer house then bountiful would win out cause there's not really any new developments in Murray (except apt.s or condos) I also love the fact that the library is so close and Murray park and rec. center is also. Overall its been great living here. Good luck on your choice!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 26,641,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I live in Murray near Fashion Place and it is a really great area. The schools in Murray are really great. I think I heard that the Murray and Logan school districts are the best in Utah. Our area is very nice and quiet, very convenient (being right near the freeway), several shopping malls near by, crime is very low in our area (I don't know if I'd wanna live in west Murray though) I'm not too sure about housing pricing but if you're looking for a newer house then bountiful would win out cause there's not really any new developments in Murray (except apt.s or condos) I also love the fact that the library is so close and Murray park and rec. center is also. Overall its been great living here. Good luck on your choice!
My post probably sounded like I was dissing Murray. If it did, I apologize. There are some really nice areas in Murray. When I posted, I was probably thinking of "west Murray," even though I didn't know to call it that.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,944,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My post probably sounded like I was dissing Murray. If it did, I apologize. There are some really nice areas in Murray. When I posted, I was probably thinking of "west Murray," even though I didn't know to call it that.
No worries Katz Bountiful is a very beautiful area too.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,506 times
My husband grew up in Murray and I grew up close to Bountiful (went to Viewmont, one of the high schools there). At the time I went to high school, we were moving to the Salt Lake Area. My parents did extensive research on schools and chose Viewmont high school for us because of the number of students who excel in grades and ACT tests, and the amount of good kids. My younger siblings still go to this school, and they really like it and have really good friends who don't get into trouble. It seemed like Bountiful High and Woods Cross High were also pretty good schools.

Last year when my husband and I were looking to move back to the SLC area, we looked at both places. Murray has changed a lot. My husband decided Davis County seemed like a better place to raise children. Just our experience. Hope it helps!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,076,535 times
I live in Bountiful and its great. I am sure there are pros/cons for both, but hands down Bountiful is the safest place I have ever lived in my life.

I think we get more snow than Murray, but considering we are from Florida and we really like it, I wouldn't say thats a big factor. Its probably more diverse in Murray than Bountiful too.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM

19,857 posts, read 62,583,425 times
I have had friends living in both places. The ones in Murray were in an apartment and lvoed having so many close conveniences, the quiet, and the safety. The ones in Bountifulhad houses and loved it for the same exact reasons!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,840 times
Thanks for the good advice so far! If anyone else can tell me more please do so but it looks like Bountiful is winning so far

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,125 times
I live in Murray also near Fashion Place and I love it. It's very convenient for shopping, public transportation, parks, and it's 10-15min from Downtown SLC. Crime is low in many parts. There are actually parts of west Murray that are very nice like on Winchester by 1300 west. Also Murray runs their own utility system separate from Salt Lake which I believe is cheaper then SL. Murray high is a great high school also separate from the rest of SLC school districts. Traffic is usually bad in the mornings going northbound on I-15 towards downtown SLC and bad around 4:00pm going southbound so it depends on where you are working.

It also depends on how much your budget for a house is. The area I live in the houses range from $160,000(older houses but usually upgraded, ex: 1950's homes)-600,000(large family homes with tons of extras). It seriously depends. Renting also varies depending on the part but anywhere for a 2-3 bedroom for 700-1500 a month.

I have family that lives in Woods cross, Bountiful, Kaysville, and Layton. (All of which are 20 min from each other). Bountiful High is considered a really great high school but some argue that Woods Cross is better. Davis county is beautiful is pretty comparable when it comes to schools, crime, etc. I know right in the foothills of East Bountiful kind of near North Salt Lake is beautiful. Houses range about the same as Murray but I know some houses on the mountain can reach above a million. Bountiful is about 20 minutes from downtown in case you were curious.

Why don't you look on KSL.com, search their "Homes" classifieds which can give you an idea of the houses and their prices? Good luck and either area is a good choice it just depends on your preference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>