Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM

337 posts, read 662,454 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be doing a relocation visit this Fall to the Salt Lake City and surrounding area and we are wanting to find out what are some of the better areas to look at as far as family life as we have 3 children and areas w/ the better schools etc. When we come out this fall we will be wanting to first determine if it's somewhere we want to reside, secondly we'll want to find suitable housing. Thanks in advance for any helpful insight u all may have.

A bit on us She works in Banking Home Loan Modifications, and I work in medical field as a Massage Therapist & Nurse, these 2 fields typically have no issues finding work is that the case in Utah? Family is very very important to both of us, however we are nowhere near being involved in a religous community nor do we desire to be, so we'd like to make sure were in family friendly places and at same time not get the in your face preaching that the South East can be known for. Financially we like to live below our means so we can really live later.

Last edited by chanceryan; 08-07-2011 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:54 PM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
My wife and I will be doing a relocation visit this Fall to the Salt Lake City and surrounding area and we are wanting to find out what are some of the better areas to look at as far as family life as we have 3 children and areas w/ the better schools etc. When we come out this fall we will be wanting to first determine if it's somewhere we want to reside, secondly we'll want to find suitable housing. Thanks in advance for any helpful insight u all may have.
In general, the East Side of the valley would probably be preferable. Please note the italicized words. Depending upon your financial situation, I would suggest the following on the East Side: Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, East Sandy, East Draper, Sugar House, East Millcreek, Federal Heights, the Avenues, the University of Utah/Westminster College area. I'll let someone from the West Side provide you with information on those areas. (If you need a realtor, DM me for a recommendation.)

Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
What is your budget and rent or buy? Where will the job be?

You can check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (broken link).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What is your budget and rent or buy? Where will the job be?

You can check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (broken link).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
She's in Banking Home Loan Mod's, Im a Massage Therapist & will b returning to College to further my education. We'd like to live in safe affordable areas that have plenty of outside options so kids can get away from TV & Computer games etc. Were so not religous it' s not funny so a town/city that's not in ur face w/ religon would be great.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 PM

313 posts, read 776,821 times
Salt Lake City for sure. U of U and Westminster as well as being the banking center. There's no real dangerous areas but the Further east you go the higher the property value.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
She's in Banking Home Loan Mod's, Im a Massage Therapist & will b returning to College to further my education. We'd like to live in safe affordable areas that have plenty of outside options so kids can get away from TV & Computer games etc. Were so not religous it' s not funny so a town/city that's not in ur face w/ religon would be great.
Yes, you said so in your 1st post. I guess this non-answer means you will be looking for jobs? The Wasatch Front is a long area if you live at one end and work at the other end.

It's no good telling you the Avenues are great if you can't afford it.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yes, you said so in your 1st post. I guess this non-answer means you will be looking for jobs? The Wasatch Front is a long area if you live at one end and work at the other end.

It's no good telling you the Avenues are great if you can't afford it.
Don't really understand ur previous post, my wife will be in all likelihood transfering her banking job if not find something before moving out that way. We will b looking for rentals in range of 800-1500mth house/condo's/apts which ever until we get better settled and decide to buy. Just looking for some good places to look into while visiting.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM

If you look at the Salt Lake Valley on Google Maps you can see the city is divided by freeways. I think visiting the areas east of I-15 and inside the belt route is best, though the area south of the belt route is getting more diverse.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM

99 posts, read 249,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
If you look at the Salt Lake Valley on Google Maps you can see the city is divided by freeways. I think visiting the areas east of I-15 and inside the belt route is best, though the area south of the belt route is getting more diverse.
The belt rout is the area inside of I-215, which is sort of the loop that goes around the city. We lived in Cottonwood heights on the east side, close to I-215, and there are some apartments in your price range. We lived in a 3 bedroom apartment and paid about $1200 per month. The Apartment complex is called Pinnacle Fort Union and it has a pool, etc. It's not bad. There are quite a bit of apartments in that area.

You can get pretty much anywhere in the Salt Lake Valley from there pretty quickly. My wife worked at Primary Children's hospital, and it was about a 20-25 min drive. I worked by the E-Center in West Valley City, and it was about a 15 min drive.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM

All spots on the East side are close to I-15, 215 and 80. From there the whole valley is 15 ninutes away. The only people with 50 minute commutes (besides aciddent delays) live in other Valleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area