U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,518 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job with the Church and am looking to move to the Salt Lake area in June of 2006. I am looking for an affordable area that has good schools and low crime. Anyone have any suggestions?
Rate this post positively

Old 09-04-2006, 04:58 PM

13 posts, read 108,531 times
Default What "church"?

What "church" are you speaking of? Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 17,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood1271 View Post
I have accepted a job with the Church and am looking to move to the Salt Lake area in June of 2006. I am looking for an affordable area that has good schools and low crime. Anyone have any suggestions?
Did you mean 2007?

Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,512,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood1271 View Post
Assuming you will be working at the LDS Church Headquarters building downtown.

If you can afford to live on the east side of Salt Lake, the schools are supposed to be pretty good and you would have a great commute. Houses are quite a bit more expensive.

Otherwise, I sometimes ride an express bus from my house on the far west of the valley to downtown. There are several people who work at the Church headquarters who take the bus. It only takes about 25 minutes and drops people off right there. Driving similarly takes about 20 minutes.

Houses out there cheaper, though they, along with all housing in the valley have gone up quite a bit in the last year.

The neighborhood is nice and quiet. However, I'm not totally sold on Granite School District though. Some of the schools seem sort of run down and have large classes. The large classes are a Utah-wide problem though. That said, they just opened a beautiful elementary school in our neighborhood. It looks like a great facility. My daughter will start kindergarten there next year.

You can find similarly cheap housing down south toward Herriman or even down into Lehi. Your commute would be a lot worse than what I have though.

Last edited by coolcats; 09-05-2006 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM

61 posts, read 265,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
What "church" are you speaking of? Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran?
Church with a capital "C", of course. That one.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 AM

222 posts, read 847,994 times
Default moving

I have lived in West Valley for the last 10 years and I like it. You will want to look around because like anything there is good and bad. The area I live in is between 4100 s and 4700 s. anything west of 2700 w. and 3600 w.
My daughter attends Robert Frost Elementary and it is great. I think the middle school is good too. I am not sold on the High School but a lot of kids actually transfer to other High Schools. Taylorsville is another nice area. These areas will be cheaper than Herriman, West Jordan, and South Jordan. They have nice freeway access and a lot of good restaurants, theatres, sporting events, and central access to other cities. As far as the schools go, a lot of people are checking out and liking the charter schools. I think a school is as good as the principal in charge. They set the mood for the whole school. If you move in any of the above mentioned areas they are usually "older" more established homes so there aren't always a lot of kids young kids.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM

I did mean June 2007 and yes I will be working for the LDS Church at the HQ in downtown SLC. Nothing against the others as I was raised Southern Baptist and my brother is a Roman Catholic Priest, but I am looking forward to living where I am in the majority for a change.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Since my first post I have narrowed my search to Davis County. My wife has family in Roy and Syracuse. I have heard that the there is going to be a rail system going in and Davis County Schools are good. Any opinions? I was looking to stay between Woods Cross and Kaysville.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 AM

11 posts, read 9,311 times
I've often wondered what in the world goes on in that huge building? I mean its supposed to be a church -- what do they need a million square feet of office space for?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,993,707 times
I think we may have a troll on our hands. petite you come in here and post several new postings all somewhat anti-mormon. I'm assuming that question was completely sarcastic and is not worth an answer. So if you know anything about the mormon church that question is utterly ridiculous and completely common sense. But it is clear you don't. So take your chip somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: