Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 12,193 times

Advertisements

I relocated to the Salt Lake City area from Rancho Cucamonga, CA last week. I had trouble finding a 3 BR rentals along the eastern half of the city as many areas had nothing availible.

As a result, the only availibility (in my price range) was in West Jordan. I don't know a great deal about the West Jordan area and would like to know if it is relatively safe and how the schools in the Jordan School district measure up (particulary West Hills Middle School). Any pros and cons about the area would be muc appreciated.

I know that there are probably more desirable areas to live, but just trying to get a feel for how (West) West Jordan is overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) compares schools within a state but not across states. You can check your previous schools and the current ones.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:24 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I dont know about schools but as safety and quality of the area I would say its pretty good. I lived there about 2 years ago when we lived in utah and had no problems at all. We were actually really close to taylorsville too which I guess most would say is the "worse" area of west jordan. Like I said, never had a single issue, we liked it very much.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,438 times
I live in West, West Jordan (by SR-111). Overall, the schools are good. If you want great schools on the west side, you will need to pony up the $$ and move to South Jordan. I've always been a believer student performance has to do more with the parents & making sure that homework is done, they are enrolled in extracurricular activites, etc. For example, I went to "OK" schools in West Jordan and still got a full-ride scholarship to the U. and graduated near the top of the class. I seemed to survive not going to Alta or Bingham high.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
I live in West, West Jordan (by SR-111). Overall, the schools are good. If you want great schools on the west side, you will need to pony up the $$ and move to South Jordan. I've always been a believer student performance has to do more with the parents & making sure that homework is done, they are enrolled in extracurricular activites, etc. For example, I went to "OK" schools in West Jordan and still got a full-ride scholarship to the U. and graduated near the top of the class. I seemed to survive not going to Alta or Bingham high.
You took the words out of my mouth. I've always said that. I went to inner city public high school, kinda ghetto, IMO, hubby not much better, & we both turned out pretty good. Of course, we are smart & always did well in class. My son is that way, just finished 2nd, not sure on my daughter yet. She just finished K, so, early.

It sounds like we are close kwm. I live by 111 too, close to Oakcrest. We LOVE it out here.

We are farther west than West Hills. That is more 5100/5200 west. We are closer to the mid/upper 6000's west. lol It's really nice & quiet where I live. You can hear a pin drop most days/nights, whenever. lol Or, you hear the sounds of kids playing. =)

FWIW, I don't pay much attention to the scores of schools, my high school had terrible scores. It wasn't the teachers, it was the kids. Unless they have a learning disability or delay, most kids do well in most schools.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 12,193 times
Thanks for the replies, I live out by the 111 right now as well. I have to say that after two weeks I am pleased with the area so far, but not knowing much about West Jordan I was starting to doubt my decision to move to the area. (It doesn't help to have others in your ear saying how this area or that area is much better than where I am now.)

I would agree witht the fact that the kids who do the best in school usually have the best support at home, regardless of the school's test scores. Getting your child through school is a team effort....their morals and values are set at home and not at school.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
one thing you will learn about people who grew up in utah, they think that if there is someone walking down the street at night then your in the ghetto. I used to work for dish network there and the first time I got a route in rose park everyone was like "oooooo man going to the ghetto" etc. I was like crap, that sucks.. I get out there and its just run down house, ghetto? not even close.

I live in tampa, fl now (unfortunetly) but the ghetto here looks like those comercials on TV asking for donations and they have the little black kids with no clothes or shoes that look all sad. That or a prison. all cement buildings, black rod iron gate around the whole place with no grass, just dirt. Trash all over the ground and lot of chicken wings on the ground for some reason.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
I happen to like the WJ area and I really like area around 111. Don't worry about what people are whispering in your ear...you know what they say about opinions...they are like [expletive], everyone has one and they usually stink.

If *YOU* like West Jordan and are happy there, the mood will come across with your daily life and your kids will be happy too. Don't put too much stock into other's thoughts.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,438 times
The only complaint I have about the schools is that they are overcrowded. Even the middle school (Sunset Ridge) has portables. Hopefully with the new elementary opening this fall things will improve.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
The only complaint I have about the schools is that they are overcrowded. Even the middle school (Sunset Ridge) has portables. Hopefully with the new elementary opening this fall things will improve.
Yes, Fox Hollow will help. =) I wonder if & when a new middle school will crop up. There's supposed to be a new high school in the field down from the apt's, across the street from Sunset Ridge. I can't believe how quickly the new elementary school is going/has went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area