Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM

27 posts, read 46,997 times

Advertisements

Which season pass to buy? Canyons or PC? Can't do Deer Valley (no snowboarding). I did Canyons about 8 times previously, never PC... PC has only two appealing things: night skiing, cheaper pass.... Locals, please share pros and cons of each. I'm intermediate snowboarder, mainly dong freeride, no park.

PS I'd really appreciate pointers on getting a discounted adult pass (cheaper than it's now). I heard something about discounts for employees of local businesses?

THANKS in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
My feelings got hurt today when I saw the midweek pass price for Canyons-900 bucks. That is crazy for the loyal locals. Deer Valley prices without the Deer Valley goodies. I found the food at Canyons more $$ than DV last year and not even close in quality..
OK, I am stepping off my soapbox and I hate to say it, I would pay more for Canyons any day even though PCMR is almost 200 bucks cheaper.

Payday chair gets jammed up- and for whatever reason, people can not count to 6 and there are a lot of 6 pack chairs at PCMR! I know that people rave about Jupiter on a powder day but good luck waiting around for that to get open. The food is overpriced and not good-hello Deer Valley-and the bathrooms are dirty. I lived within walking distance of PCMR and had free passes but never went back. I still can't put my finger on one thing that I hated but there were plenty of reasons for me to keep going South to DV.

Canyons, largest resort in Utah, is still suffering growing pains even though they are under new ownership. The fact that they moved the Gondola base over to the top of the Cab, put in a new chair where Golden Eagle used to be is a huge plus. Things can still get backed up on a windy/powder day but way
better than it used to be.
The other new addition is a bathroom and restaurant over at the top of the
Dream lifts named Cloud Dine. That takes alot of pressure off the two other lodges on the hill I love how big the resort is and that there are enough hidey holes that you will find some fluff 2-3 days after a storm. Do the price increases suck? Sure they do but you can try and get a job there and ski for free....

Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
Out of curiousity do most lacals that live in SLC buy season passes or just go whereever. I'm moving out there next yr and it's still hard to fathom having so many choices to ski when back in PA we only really had 1 and it kinda sucks.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM

skibarbie is spot on the canyons prices... the times I visited the food places on canyons i always left with "why I paid sooo much for _this_?" I'm leaning towards Canyons as I like the terrain, but the prices are just a bit too much, I won't mind paying 900 for adult pass (not midweek), but 1150.... maan.... Sure it's great snow, but it's not Whistler!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
Thank goodness it's not Whistler! Utah gets to call the winter wonderfulness the " greatest snow on Earth" for a reason,,,none of that Canadian crusty slush for us...
Keep in mind that the midweek is all days except for Saturdayq and no blackout days either. I don't wanna ski on a Saturday with all the school kids anyway and am a little iffy on Sundays too for hensame reasons.
Sammy, season passes/coupon books/ e-passes are the only way to go if you live here. Check out each resorts web sight and get a feel for prices. Check the cut off dates for pricing too....

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Yeah I've seen the prices and some of them are not much more than our all day pass for our ski "hill" in PA. It just seems like if you buy a season pass to one resort, you're missing out on like 10 others. I don't know if they have a group pass for x amount of days at certain places or anything like that.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Yeah, I thought about midweek pass, but I work during the week, so weekends skiing for me only. I'll most probably will go Saturdays and Sundays.... I hear different folks get passes for as low as 500$ wondering how to get one under $1000

Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Or if you're a UT resident they have discounts. Just curious what the locals do.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Yeah I've seen the prices and some of them are not much more than our all day pass for our ski "hill" in PA. It just seems like if you buy a season pass to one resort, you're missing out on like 10 others. I don't know if they have a group pass for x amount of days at certain places or anything like that.
Canyons is a plenty mountain for me to sharpen the skill.... I might go the Snowbird a few times. Was not impressed by Brighton.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Or if you're a UT resident they have discounts. Just curious what the locals do.
I'm a PC local and I'm wondering what I should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area