U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM

617 posts, read 2,684,257 times

Advertisements

This is our first winter in Utah as a family. I lived in Utah Valley from 2000-2005, and then moved away. We moved here to the south sandy/north draper area in May of this year. So far, we are disappointed with the lack of snow, we were looking forward to sledding, snowman building, etc. Is this normal for SLC, or is there usually more snow on the valley floor by now? My husband has never spent a winter here and I have never experienced a winter in the Salt Lake valley, so just wondering I know that winters differ, but I am positive there was more snow when I lived here before......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 AM

25,198 posts, read 25,833,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
This is our first winter in Utah as a family. I lived in Utah Valley from 2000-2005, and then moved away. We moved here to the south sandy/north draper area in May of this year. So far, we are disappointed with the lack of snow, we were looking forward to sledding, snowman building, etc. Is this normal for SLC, or is there usually more snow on the valley floor by now? My husband has never spent a winter here and I have never experienced a winter in the Salt Lake valley, so just wondering I know that winters differ, but I am positive there was more snow when I lived here before......
Hang in there, Calibelle. November and December are generally much less snowy than January, February and March. Rest assured, you'll see plenty of snow before the coming of spring.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 AM

2,486 posts, read 6,491,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hang in there, Calibelle. November and December are generally much less snowy than January, February and March. Rest assured, you'll see plenty of snow before the coming of spring.
I agree...much to my chagrin...

Old 12-17-2011, 12:14 PM

19,858 posts, read 61,709,771 times
I have lived in SLC for 10 yrs and this is the driest winter I have seen yet. One year, my neighbor's kid made $60 just in Dec. by shoveling my driveway/sidewalks.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM

617 posts, read 2,684,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have lived in SLC for 10 yrs and this is the driest winter I have seen yet. One year, my neighbor's kid made $60 just in Dec. by shoveling my driveway/sidewalks.
That's good to know! I know that January and February... I always got dumped on with snow in Utah Valley. But I was pretty sure that this was a dry winter so far :P

My 3 year old keeps getting so disappointed. We will get an inch or two over night, and it's melted by 11 a.m. All she wants to do is build a snow man

Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 5,952,400 times
Yeah, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that January through March will will be getting hammered, so don't lose faith just yet. The majority of it starts hitting us around mid January and if my guess is correct it won't stop till mid April this year. No worries just yet. I just wish the inversion situation was something that could get gradually better, but I'm sorry to say it is beginning to appear as though it is an issue which is going to worsen, not let up. We're going to be labeled New LA at this rate

Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 AM

5,701 posts, read 12,472,640 times
It is like rain, and right after you wash your car it rains !!!

Same with snow. You talk about it and then it comes and stays like an unwelcome visitor.

Just be careful what you wish for ...

Keep in mind, snow is like a bunch of elephants.
Nice to look at, but really messy to clean up afterwards ...

Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM

90 posts, read 187,657 times
Yes it is a very very (unusually) dry winter. There is usually a lot more snow in SLC by now. In fact, most of the country is hurting for snow.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,965,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewear View Post
Yes it is a very very (unusually) dry winter. There is usually a lot more snow in SLC by now. In fact, most of the country is hurting for snow.

Were really hurting for snow here in florida

I we havent had highs under 60 yet. the average is like 75-85 so far. maybe 4 days total lower than that. Sure makes it hard to get in the christmas spirit!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 AM

47 posts, read 101,254 times
Just wait..in Jan/Feb it dumps snow like crazy..this is the best time to ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area