Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

You may have the WORST of the WORST drivers in all of Utah Ok so it's not an award anyone there wants. But observing the latest viral YouTube on the weather crash mess they created up there over the weekend by NOT thinking what they were doing behind the wheel takes it all I'm afraid. I guess you truly can't fix stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM

77 posts, read 282,932 times
Your referring to this article/video right? Clearly underneath that snow was a big sheet of ice, and I'm afraid there's not much you can do in many of the situations on that video when you're navigating on ice and trying to get out of the path of cars coming towards you. Some of the cars were obviously going waaaay too fast, but I saw quite a few of them steering in the direction of the skid. I thought the really stupid people were the ones standing next to their parked cars while other cars were clearly coming down the hill poised to hit them at any moment. I would get out of my car and away from the road as far as possible in that situation! The exact kind of situation as that video is my worst nightmare on Utah roads! I hate snow!

By the way, have you seen this video of Seattle drivers in snow a while back? One of my favorites, like a pinball machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGnOH...eature=related

Last edited by Ghungroo; 01-23-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
What you are apparently NOT aware of there were folks at the top of the hill trying to stop and wave people down to keep them from going OVER the hill knowing what was happening. But once again like dumb sheep they just ignored them and kept on going. No sorry I'm not buying it. It's one thing to get "caught" in a bad situation. It's quite another to purposely ignore the opportunity to avoid it and go and do it anyway. It's all in keeping with the "I'm from Utah I'll do as I darned well please" attitude I so dearly love....NOT

Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM

62 posts, read 201,204 times
While Bountiful may have the worst drivers in Utah, driving to and from the Solitude Ski Resort this past Friday morning and afternoon let me see some "runner-ups" who were truly atrocious! Going up in the morning, I found myself leading a procession of pickups and SUV's racing up the winding, slush-covered canyon road as if it were a dry, clear day. They would position themselves seemingly inches from my rear bumper and the minute they could pass, they blew past me doing well over the posted speed limits. This scenario was repeated in the afternoon, but since the weather had turned sunny and nice by that time, and the roads had been plowed, it wasn't nearly as terrifying. Next time, though, I'll think about taking the bus! By the way, the skiing was excellent and I thought Solitude was a really nice place.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM

39 posts, read 80,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRat View Post
While Bountiful may have the worst drivers in Utah, driving to and from the Solitude Ski Resort this past Friday morning and afternoon let me see some "runner-ups" who were truly atrocious! Going up in the morning, I found myself leading a procession of pickups and SUV's racing up the winding, slush-covered canyon road as if it were a dry, clear day. They would position themselves seemingly inches from my rear bumper and the minute they could pass, they blew past me doing well over the posted speed limits. This scenario was repeated in the afternoon, but since the weather had turned sunny and nice by that time, and the roads had been plowed, it wasn't nearly as terrifying. Next time, though, I'll think about taking the bus! By the way, the skiing was excellent and I thought Solitude was a really nice place.
I thought about taking the bus as well.... but Saturday afternoon coming down from Solitude, we had a hold up as one bus had slid across the road and directly across the road from it, it looked like an SUV wedged up against another bus!! It was carnage ... but nothing like that video.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM

39 posts, read 80,088 times
Oh and the Bountiful video has gone viral, a friend back home told me it was on the national Australian news last night!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
I would be interested to see how many of those people actually had snow tires vs just the crappy all seasons that most people feel is good enough.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I would be interested to see how many of those people actually had snow tires vs just the crappy all seasons that most people feel is good enough.
Yep. We also live in a hilly area on the benches, and whether there's snow on the ground or not, our vehicles get the snow tires put on in by Thanksgiving. They make a tremendous difference. Of course they won't make up for stupidity, however.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep. We also live in a hilly area on the benches, and whether there's snow on the ground or not, our vehicles get the snow tires put on in by Thanksgiving. They make a tremendous difference. Of course they won't make up for stupidity, however.
Nothing can make up for stupidity. It looked like a decent amount of those people had the right idea on how to drive out of the slide but with those garbage tires, they never had a chance.

when I lived there in SLC that was a HUGE pet peeve of mine, I was in a little RWD Mazda rx8 (which I put snow tires on) driving down the road where the AWD suv's were stuck. Seriously, you spent 30k on a vehicle but cant spend an extra 500 bucks on a set of tires for the winter? Not only are you endangering yourself, your endangering me too!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
What you are apparently NOT aware of there were folks at the top of the hill trying to stop and wave people down to keep them from going OVER the hill knowing what was happening. But once again like dumb sheep they just ignored them and kept on going.
Do you have a source for that? From what I heard from someone who lives close there was nobody standing there to stop people from going. Also the top part of the road was snowy but did not have the ice under it as further down.

I do agree though that many drivers are stupid and many have bad tires. It doesn't matter if they're from Bountiful or any other city though.
So I can not understand how you can call everyone from Bountiful "stupid".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area