Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM

29 posts, read 47,609 times

Advertisements

So here we go. I'm a female, in my mid/late twenties (though I look about 17 and get carded constantly, lol). I'm educated, intelligent, consider myself Christian (but not LDS), friendly, etc. Basically I'm fantastic . I grew up in a resort town that made it's living almost solely off of tourism and construction, so was exposed to and know how to get along with a lot of different types of people, and went off to what passes for a city in NC for university. I'm well rounded, hurrah. I am polite, respectful, drive like I actually took drivers ed, hold doors for people and know how to make pleasant chit chat. I've travelled a good bit, but mostly lived within 5 or 6 hours of the same place my whole life thus far.

I have decided that SLC sounds sort of fantstic. I've been reading these forums for some time now, and doing a lot of looking at general info. It's probably moved into the top 3 places for possible relocation. The slight elaboration: I have been told for health reasons that I absolutely have to get out of the southeast; the climate here is killing me. Utah seems like a good fit for that as well (yes, I know about the winter inversion air quality situation). I'm not really looking to live somewhere forever - probably 5 or 6 years, unless it's just so fantastic I can't bear the thought of leaving. I'll probably be going back to school after I establish residency. I will probably buy property for the same health reasons - it's complicated, but suffice to say, I have a hard time with older construction, apartments, and places that have had multiple owners. Your culture and lifestyle seems pretty awesome, your cost of living is MUCH lower than here (yes, I understand your payscale is lower too, but it's still better than here - trust me). All of that said, here are my questions/concerns:

I have green and blue hair and an eyebrow ring. I have had these for a good ten years (well, the hair changes colors, but something unnatural anyway); it's just become a part of who I am, and not something I will probably change at least for a few more years yet. I have had several good jobs (real, salaried ones!) in management, office work, etc, and it hasn't ever been an issue here due to the fact that I know how to carry myself and my stunning personality seems to make up for any adverse effects. I remain a bit worried about the reaction in Utah, though. I don't do it to upset people, and I don't really want to live somewhere that that will be the predominant effect. I dress normally or appropriately for jobs - I'm not trying to "make a statement" or file myself into a certain trend. It's just me. In the south, this garners some generally upset feeling among baptists and pentacostals (we don't get LDS here at all), so I'm just trying to feel out whether or not and to what degree it would be an issue. I've only known a few LDS members; this part of the country just isn't known for them, so I don't have much to compare to from that standpoint, but I don't want to stereotype anyone. I'm hoping it will be a non-issue. On the same note, does anyone have thoughts on job finding with the colored hair, in the city anyway? Doable, or is that likely to be a total dealbreaker?

On the other hand, some people seem to think SLC is VERY VERY liberal - is there a happy medium? I feel like I'm pretty in the middle (though people mistakenly often assume I'm VERY liberal - stereotypes are bad news!). I LIKE the gay community, and I ASSUME I'll like the LDS community, and I LIKE people of all sorts of religious and personal beliefs, but, well, not to sound silly, but I guess I wonder is there a potential mating/dating pool of people who are sort of moderate that I might mesh with? Lol. I know, this just sounds crazy, but I come from a place with a stable population of 30k and a summer population of 300k, so this is just a very strange area to have as your view of the world. The idea of a REAL LIVE big city is completely foreign to me.

On the note of housing - I know most of the only NEW housing is on the west side, and some of the stories about that area make it out to be quite bad. Is it really as bad as all of that, or is it bias? Any thoughts? I find that people tend to overblow issues, when they are used to a certain type of people or a certain mindset. I have a huge dog (80+ pounds) so probably will be looking into a single family home outside of the city proper, as opposed to in town or row housing.

The snow. We don't have it here, at all. I've spent time in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, the UK, etc, visiting friends and vacationing where they DO have it - but never had to live with it. I love it now, and I think it'll be fine, but does anyone have any snow tips, or how cold it REALLY is in the winter? (It's always a damp nasty ocean cold here, so it's hard to comprehend the thought of dry cold!)

How hard is it to break into social circles in my age group and whatnot if you're not a native? I know this is a LOT harder in some places than most, and again, the hair and whatever may cause problems?

Thanks in advance. Sorry this is so long! There is just so much I'm curious about, and having read these forums, you get such a mixed opinion person to person it seems like, that I'm trying to be very specific. I'm definitely planning to come out once before I move, probably twice (once soonish, once when it gets hot, to judge the climate), but it would be nice to be able to start forming an opinion. I am really stoked about the idea of living there, and would really like to see it work. I also really like me just the way I am, and want to live somewhere where I can embrace others - of any type - and be embraced in return I want a good chance to break into social circles and actually HAVE a fulfilling life. I'm not a druggie or a loser, and dislike being stereotyped. I ALSO don't want to just hear a bunch of positive stuff with spin - I haven't decided on anything for sure, so I'm in fact finding. I want SLC to be a good fit - if not, I have other options. So I'd like the honest scoop, please!

Last edited by Spirograph; 02-08-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,973,302 times
Well, the newer housing is out in the family-oriented suburbs, also more conservative. Honestly you would fit in better in the university area (the Avenues ) or Sugar House.

I only see people as you describe yourself working in Starbucks or restaurants in those areas. Maybe I don't get around enough? Folks here are very into the outdoors and nature and a more natural look. I see far less make-up and hair here than in New Orleans or Memphis. Also far less flesh hanging out, a more restrained look.

Maybe someone younger will have a different opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 AM

55 posts, read 137,181 times
I lived in SLC for many years. I have to agree with SouthernBell in Utah on the job situation. I've also seen people with your self description working in stores in the malls. As for professional people...I never saw it. You might want to visit the area and rent a car. The University and SugarHouse area are more liberal. What type of profession do you work in?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 AM

I would be commuting, I'm sure (I commute 45 minutes each way, currently, so it's nothing new - the public transportation is a big draw. I know, I know, all public transportation has issues and etc.) and will probably spend most of my time for social and work in the city, unless I find an amazing suburb that just happens to love me.

I don't show skin; I mostly wear jeans and nice t-shirts (like from a department store, women's t-shirts, not ratty ones), or business casual. I'm completely allergic to makeup and most jewelry, which is part of why I like to dye my hair, so the makeup isn't an issue either. Just the hair, as it were. The piercing is even negotiable.

As for work - all I'll probably start with is that sort of job anyhow, as I'll be starting classes pretty concurrently, most likely. My current degrees are both in the humanities, so I don't have a default "field" that I have to be in; by and large I've worked management and relief management (in, surprise! coffee and donut shops, gift shops, and high end boutiques), as well as office assistant type jobs. When I was young I waited tables and ran cash registers, like most other people who live in a tourist town. Frankly, I'm probably not looking for a "professional" business attire job anyhow. I will probably go back to school and get my MBA or for something completely different and tech related - I had impeccable grades and a good GRE, so should be able to enter into a very different field, as long as I do the catchup work. The world is sort of an open plan, currently

Thank you for your replies!

Afterthought: I also make (and sell) professional ceramics. As in with a kiln. Eventually that will be a store fronted business plan, but probably not in SLC. Who knows though. If someone sells out of a PYOP studio, it might become an option down the road, especially if I go the MBA route. Also, I was already planning to come out and spend 4 or 5 days both with a rental and walking and riding the routes to get a feel for different areas this is just preliminary research
After, After thought: New Orleans rather intimidates me. Like I said, I'm actually fairly moderate to conservative, otherwise clean cut, Christian :P Bit much even for me there!

Last edited by Spirograph; 02-09-2012 at 06:32 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 AM

A newer townhouse in on of the fringe to the city proper areas MIGHT be possible (like Milcreek or Murray). To me that is hardly into the "suburbs", but I know when you're used to everything being right close together, it probably feels like a whole other world!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,397,015 times
Just a thought - many times people who have a style similar to how you describe also work at call centers. Crappy work, but popular with the younger alternative crowd.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM

I'll dye my hair before I work at a call center unless they are paying an awful lot more than I was aware of. But thanks!
I'm actually wondering from a personal acceptance standpoint too - it's not much of an issue here except among the more hardcore fundamentalists, but I don't want to move somewhere where everyone is going to be awfully standoffish.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 AM

Incindetally, if it matters, my hair actually looks MORE normal than a lot of people who do it funky colors - because I do it to look like hair, not like a bright blue wig. Sometimes it even shares a "normal" color like dark brown or blonde, with purple highlights, or something like that. I get compliments frequently from little old ladies who just adore it, teenagers who want to know how they can do it, or average middle aged adults who tell me they actually think it's rather tastefull and I don't look like one of those "freaks". I guess it's hard to explain, but I won't embark on a soliloquy about styles and methods of hair dye, fear not
I'm also not a complete idiot, and if push comes to shove and it's starve or dye it, I'll change it. Like I said, just looking for ideas on acceptance levels and what is already there and what is available, etc. Frankly, the LDS community is the big wild card to me. I assume they are NOT all how they are portrayed by media, but don't know really where they fall on the acceptance scale and what they will, as a whole, view as just entirely radical. I would think it can't be that bad, since your LGBT community seems well accepted there.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 AM

600 posts, read 1,937,885 times
I don't see a problem with not being accepted here and see lots of people with all kind of looks. Come here when th gay parade is up and yo would not know that you're in Utah haha Not that I am in favor of the gay parade but just an example that Salt Lake is not always the strict boring LDS city it gets portrait so often.
I do also see lots of hip looking people with jewellery, make up but most in a business attire. Now Salt Lake is big but not "wild big city" big if that makes sense.
A way better city for you would be San Francisco. It is beautiful and got that flair you want to have I think.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,263,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
I don't see a problem with not being accepted here and see lots of people with all kind of looks. Come here when th gay parade is up and yo would not know that you're in Utah haha Not that I am in favor of the gay parade but just an example that Salt Lake is not always the strict boring LDS city it gets portrait so often.
I do also see lots of hip looking people with jewellery, make up but most in a business attire. Now Salt Lake is big but not "wild big city" big if that makes sense.
A way better city for you would be San Francisco. It is beautiful and got that flair you want to have I think.
Except for San Fran is WAY more expensive. If money is a issue, maybe Denver is spicier than SLC but not SF expensive.

Sorry I get a kick out of Utah inquiring posts which start off talking about getting carded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area