Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,670 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am new here. But I need honest and blunt truth!

So moved to the wonderful Logan, Utah about a year ago to attend USU. The school was okay, however we found out we prefer night courses compared to day time. My Husband and I are both in our late 20's and live on campus in family housing plus work for the school with a work study.

We would like to move though.
We like Utah, love the weather, LOVE SLC. (For the diversity, and friendly people. .) However, driving to SLC every weekend is not the most convient. We are only in our first year of college and would like to continue. My Husband would like to go into Criminal Justice and I would like to get my Bachelors and if not my Masters in Social Work.

We are looking into Weber State, but would like more info on the area . In Ogden, like SLC where diversity of all shapes and sizes, plus color are there? Is there a lot to do there or nearby? We are assuming we will want to live by the school as we plan on working at the school and using the doctors office there, oh and having anearby planet fitness.

I am hearing about places like Layton and Roy... However, I don't know anything about the area. We would like diversity in Mormon and Non-Mormon. . We just want to be accepted for who we are, be able to go to places that don't require children, and have a decent place to live at that takes pets.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: edited out rude comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
I don't like Ogden at all. It's too dumpy for me. No offense to those who live there, just my opinion. I don't like Layton, AT ALL. I think it's a dump. I'm sure there are nicer neighborhoods, but downtown, the mall area, it reminds me of Omaha, just ghetto houses every where, right by the surface streets. Clinton is nice, Roy is ok. Anything north of Farmington... I'm just not a fan. Bountiful, Woods Cross, Farmington. I could live there. North Ogden is even okay, it gets more rural, and has nicer neighborhoods.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
I think you may want to consider transfering to the U and living in the Avenues area or Sugarhouse. Not sure what you are looking for in terms of rentals price-wise though.

I honestly don't think the places around Ogden would appeal to you. They are all really suburban. There may be some diversity because they are close to HAFB, and there tends to be more diversity in those areas because of that.

My husband and I are planning to move closer to the Ogden area in the late Spring and finding a cute city with a downtown like Logan is pretty much non-existent as far as I am concerned outside of downtown Ogden area.

I don't know enough about what neighborhoods in Ogden are good/safe/easy access to things to speak about it in detail. But I do know that some areas are not so dumpy.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
I don't like Ogden at all. It's too dumpy for me. No offense to those who live there, just my opinion. I don't like Layton, AT ALL. I think it's a dump. I'm sure there are nicer neighborhoods, but downtown, the mall area, it reminds me of Omaha, just ghetto houses every where, right by the surface streets. Clinton is nice, Roy is ok. Anything north of Farmington... I'm just not a fan. Bountiful, Woods Cross, Farmington. I could live there. North Ogden is even okay, it gets more rural, and has nicer neighborhoods.
Even I moved away from Ogden and like it way better up north, I have to say that most of Ogden is clean, beautiful and has a great history behind it.
There are a few small areas that are not so safe and where it's known that gag members live, yes. There is a bigger hispanic population and there are neighborhoods that are 95% hispanic. They are loud but not unsafe.
Are there ghettos? Nope there is absolutely none and nothing that compares to LA Watts.

North Ogden is where the rich or wannabe rich folks live. Pretty big houses but amond them also pretty big criminals like the Millerbergs. Look upturn case up if you are unfamiliar with it. Less hispanic population there though.

So think about it an pick a nice place. Maybe in Salt Lake if you love it?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 106,001 times
There are great places to live in Ogden, near WSU. Look east of Harrison Blvd where there are lots of cute historic homes filled with young couples. You'll find more diversity in both color and religion in Ogden than most any other place in Utah. It was an old railroad town and has kept the diversity that brought in years ago. The only part of town I wouldn't live in is between 20-30th, west of Harrison. It's not ghetto like other big cities in the US but it's run down and has most of the crime in the city there. Because of WSU, there's lots to do. We go to concerts, ballgames, exhibits, the symphony/ballet and there are 3 ski resorts less than 30 minutes away. We walk on the trails above campus several times a week. Ogden gets a bad rap from many who have never lived here. You really should just drive around. Based on conversations with a friend in law enforcement, I would avoid Roy.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM

Default Replying back.

We actually got to the point where we hated Logan. There was no diversity and the place made us sick. We didn't find it pretty either. Obviously since were college students we don't have tons of money. We ended up transferring to Weber due to them having the criminal justice program and now they give free tuition. We found a 2 story house, and its off of 28th and it is primarily in a Spanish community. However, (for the week) we have been here its been very quiet and were not worried. I would call this run down and lower class, but not ghetto. Were from Florida so we know ghetto pretty well. We are worried about having kids grow up here, but I am sure with decent family based values the children might be okay. Its nice that everything is under 5 miles, and the diversity is great.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Always nice to have someone report back. Thanks and glad you are happy.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-21-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,374 times
Keep looking. Ogden has many nice areas without gangbangers and crime.
Are you between Harrisson and Monroe?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 AM

Monroe is like 2 streets away from us. Were off of 28th-29th. Seriously, we haven't had issues with the neighborliness. People keep to themselves, our neighbors are friendly. Yes, I am sure there are gangs around or neighbors gang related. However, I don't see any "activity". I know what to look for when it comes to it. People go inside at night, and don't stay on their porch all day long. Its been refreshing so far. Its not ghetto at all compared to FL. Yes, lower class but Utah people have no idea what ghetto really is imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area