Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

479 posts, read 1,015,319 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: off topic
After having been away since 2003 my husband has an opportunity in the SLC area (Springville to be exact). The only thing that is posing an issue with me is the air quality. I have allergy issues and am really concerned that this will pose a problem. When I try to research air quality south of SLC the counties are always lumped together. If anyone has any knowledge regarding the air quality statistics outside of SLC I would be very grateful!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-26-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,586 times
Not sure about air quality, pm count etc. in Springville but with our not so winter like winter,,,my child and hubby are already suffering from the "spring " allergies before spring.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
Springville is not in the Salt Lake City area. It's in Utah County, and from where I live in Sandy, Utah (with the road construction), it takes me almost an hour to get there. If you are looking to live in the Salt Lake area, that will be a long commute. However, there are several communities that are higher up, and therefore have better air quality than the valley, and should not be lumped together with everywhere else. Suncrest is a development in Draper, Utah, on top of the traverse mountains. Part of it is in Salt Lake County, part of it is in Utah County. It has better air quality.

Woodland Hills is a development near Spanish Fork, Utah, and is also much higher up than other parts of the valley. It has better air quality.

Elk Ridge, Utah is a city near Payson, Utah that is situated in the foothills in southern Utah county, and is also more highly elevated. You might want to consider that as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:40 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
and is also much higher up than other parts of the valley. It has better air quality.
Does not help you if you are allergic to whatever grows around you ...

When I had my allergy tests done, the nurse asked me if I wanted to know what I was NOT allergic to !
Needless to say, I walk around all day with this spray thingy, between April and October.

Some day, I hope that we do not have to look like those Japanese people who constantly walk around with a face mask !

I do not seem to have adverse effects to the *sometimes really bad* air quality.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Thanks for your feedback it is much appreciated! I lived in Boulder, Colorado recently with hardly any allergies at all. We lived in St. George for three years from 2000-20003 and I had no allergies at all. Loved it! I am affected by the cedar trees in the spring when the pollen is blowing but Claritin D alleviates my symptoms. I am more concerned with smog issues and am not concerned with not living in SLC. My husband’s employment will be in Springville but we would like to be close enough to enjoy the amenities of SLC for essential necessities.
The Suncrest area looks really nice and I will research the other areas mentioned. I want to make sure that there are outlets for my son who is in middle school. We love the outdoors and love spending any free time we have outside! I loved St. George when we lived there! We are not LDS but it never posed any issues for my family so I don't have any concerns with the culture.
I did research the air quality and found some great information in doing so. It looks like the majority of time proves to be pretty nice. I also found in my research that most of the population is concerned and steps are being put in place to improve the situation. I know it takes time but also know that it can be done as Denver is not near as bad as it was in the 70’s.
What do I need to know regarding my pet (German Shepherd) concerning fleas, ticks etc. In Boulder we didn’t have to worry too much and wonder if it is the same in the SLC area.
Thanks again for your time in responding. Advice is appreciated and welcomed!!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
The jury is out whether or not Utah has fleas. *I*, in my own personal experience in the 18 years I have lived here, have never ever seen a flea. I have had dogs the entire time. In contrast, prior I lived in NJ and during the spring and summer, you couldn't MOVE without seeing a flea. If you do a lot of hiking, you could possibly come in contact with some and it is very possible that ticks are lurking in the wooded areas.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I don't treat my dogs as fleas die out over the winter. My vet sells the stuff but only in recent years. I have never seen a flea but my dogs stay in my yard. My neighbors all have dogs and I think I would see one if fleas were prevalent.

Research Suncrest. There were some articles a few years ago about parts of it sliding down the hill. Some discussion on the forum, too. It is built on an old landslide area and may not be stable. Some concern about the city or developers not doing their due diligence, can't remember exactly.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
Suncrest gets a bad rap. Our good friend is a realtor and he said that you can go to one house and the land is fine, then walk 15 feet to another house, and the land is sketchy. It's really pretty up there, all the issues are being fixed and sorted, and they know which homes are in a problem area and which are not.

They are still developing up there, and there are many lots which are perfectly stable that are available, brand new houses being built, etc.

As for fleas, not a problem. I have never seen one here, ever. Ticks, they do exist, just check your dog after each walk if you are up in the hills hiking, and it shouldn't be an issue. If you are just walking around the park, in a normal neighborhood on the valley floor, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Thank you all! I am really glad to hear that fleas and ticks are not a big issue. I will be glad to get my family friend off of some of the chemicals soon.

I will research the housing situation with the feedback given. My husband will be visiting next week and I have given him a list of areas!

If anyone thinks of anything else....I would be happy to add it to his list!

Thank you! Thank you!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,586 times
Suncrest gets a bad rap for a reason and the reason is unstable ground. Skip it completely and look elsewhere. There are so many other neighborhoods with most/all of the amenities that you want, why bother with an area that has known problems.
I hope that your husband will have the time to spend checking out your new neighborhood,,wherever it may be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area