Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 19,655 times

Advertisements

I'm a homosexual, centre-left politically, plan on getting sleeve tattoos and I lean towards Buddhism; yet Salt Lake City slightly intrigues me.

I know that it is in the heart of "Mormon country", is full of Conservative Republicans and is not 100% gay friendly. There are far more liberal and gay friendly cities out there (like NYC or San Francisco). However, the landscape is beautiful, not everyone is a republican or Mormon and I hear there is a fairly vibrant gay and alternative scene. There is just something relatively attractive about Salt Lake City.

Can anybody vouch for this? I plan on moving after I finish college and SLC is a place that I'm thinking of (all things considering).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
A gay friend who was researching for a gay travel guide told me the city itself has one of the higher per-capita LGBT populations on the country. Mind you, that is not So Salt Lake City, Kearns, Taylorsville, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,374 times
So you seriously think that every Republican and every Mormon hates gays and would bug you? That's silly.

You will always find people who like and who hate you or who just disagree with you. Republican or Democrat doesn't matter. There are LDS Democrats and gay Republicans too.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:30 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,413 times
I'm a gay, libertarian-leaning guy in my 30s, and I wouldn't live anywhere but Salt Lake City proper (and I mean in Utah OR nationally!). Stick with the recognized liberal areas of the valley (which are pretty much the SLC limits) and you'll be fine.

There is a very high percentage of gay people here... chalk it up to SLC being the magnet urban area for much of Nevada, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. All those small towns produce plenty of gay people, and they want to be sort of close to home but in a liberal city, so the choices are Salt Lake or Denver (for Montana and Wyoming).

In addition to the large gay community, there is an active Buddhist community (SGI and White Plum Asanga, to name a couple schools) and a thriving underground music scene. Plus a strong art/culture scene... and a relatively low cost of living.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
I'm a gay, libertarian-leaning guy in my 30s, and I wouldn't live anywhere but Salt Lake City proper (and I mean in Utah OR nationally!). Stick with the recognized liberal areas of the valley (which are pretty much the SLC limits) and you'll be fine.

There is a very high percentage of gay people here... chalk it up to SLC being the magnet urban area for much of Nevada, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. All those small towns produce plenty of gay people, and they want to be sort of close to home but in a liberal city, so the choices are Salt Lake or Denver (for Montana and Wyoming).

In addition to the large gay community, there is an active Buddhist community (SGI and White Plum Asanga, to name a couple schools) and a thriving underground music scene. Plus a strong art/culture scene... and a relatively low cost of living.
I agree with all of this. There is a lot more to this city that may surprise outsiders.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM

419 posts, read 465,876 times
We lived there for years and had lots of non and jack-Mormon friends. We totally enjoyed it until we had children. When the other children in the neighborhood aren't allowed to play with yours because you're not Mormon, or you get snide comments all the time about how unfortunate it is that you (mom) has to work and not stay home with the kids, we knew it was time to leave.

That being said, we've been gone 25 years. I'm sure that the dynamics have changed and, since the Olympics, it has gotten better in being able to order a drink at restaurants.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Chica, while I don't doubt that your children faced problems 20 yrs ago, all I can say is I don't believe it is like that now. I was visiting with my non-LDS neighbor yesterday when one of her son's best friends came over. The son was still at work (graduating HS senior) and I asked the boy what were his plans - he's going on a mission. Turns out that 3 of the son's best friends are going on missions. There is a circle of 5 boys that I have watched grow up as best friends and only 2 of them are not LDS.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
The title of your post makes me laugh. Can you live peacefully here? What are you expecting to happen to you if you move here?

I can tell you this, nobody cares about your sexual orientation, or what you choose to ink on your skin. Nobody. And even if it bothers them, they will avoid you, just as you will avoid them. I'm a practicing mormon, and two of my best friends are gay. It does not bother me in the slightest. I relish any culture that my kids can get. I want them to understand diversity, and understand the world around them. Some (not all, but some) who live here in Utah would rather their kids be in a bubble, and completely avoid teaching them or letting them have any experiences that would let them gain knowledge about different cultures and lifestyles, and the world around them. We are a multicultural family, and are very happy here in the Salt Lake Valley. There are many like minded people who share my views and outlook here.

Having said that....life is what you make it. I honestly feel like threads like this, questions like this portray the same judgement and preconceived notions that the original poster(s) fear by moving here.

Just my two cents. Not trying to start an argument. But by shaping all Utahns into a republican anti gay bubble, and wondering if you will be able to "live in peace" here. Ya, threads like this drive me nuts.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM

264 posts, read 907,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftduff View Post
I'm a homosexual, centre-left politically, plan on getting sleeve tattoos and I lean towards Buddhism; yet Salt Lake City slightly intrigues me.

I know that it is in the heart of "Mormon country", is full of Conservative Republicans and is not 100% gay friendly. There are far more liberal and gay friendly cities out there (like NYC or San Francisco). However, the landscape is beautiful, not everyone is a republican or Mormon and I hear there is a fairly vibrant gay and alternative scene. There is just something relatively attractive about Salt Lake City.

Can anybody vouch for this? I plan on moving after I finish college and SLC is a place that I'm thinking of (all things considering).
Stay put. SLC will not hold a parade for you which by the sound of your post you expect.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,586 times
Actually, we will have a parade for you and it's second largest parade in the Great State of Utah! It's this weekend though so you will need to giddy up and get here. Check out Utah Pride Festival for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area