Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:08 PM

66 posts, read 115,262 times

Advertisements

New to SLC and happy to be in the mountains again after living on the coast. New ski equipt has appreciated in cost well above inflation. The high demand for the "new" product is just crazy (see Apple). Are there ski swaps and other good opportunities to get ski equipt at a good price, other than wearing someone else's boots?

Please advise. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:20 PM

835 posts, read 2,068,541 times
In the Fall is normally when the big swaps are. The largest in the area is up in Park City at the Rec Center. Most of the year round shops, Christy Sports in Olympus Hills Plaza and Jans inPark City usually have rentals and last seasons leftovers for sale all summer long too. Second Track sports on 33rd South is having a big Sidewalk Sale today. Also, check Craigslist and KSL when the leaves get off the trees

Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 AM

66 posts, read 115,262 times
Many thanks skibarbie. Did I read that you are getting a season pass to Brighton for the 20012/13 season, or do you go there often? Looks like a nice mountain with varied terrain, lots of trees, and night skiing after work. What are your top 3 skiing choices? Which mountain has the best local ski discount? Thanks for your responses.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Well, I am privileged to work at a ski shop so no season pass buying required! It can be a bit of a drag if we get early season snow as our shop passes usually don't show up til early December. Not sure what I am going to do this season as I blew my knee apart in January and am absolutely 100% freaked out about another ski accident. Dr says I will be fine by ski season but,,,,mentally, I am not there yet.
I have found one of the best ways to keep track of which resorts are selling what and when is to "like" them all on Facebook.
Brightons midweek deal with a couple of "blackout" dates but you can go M-Th and it includes night skiing was right around $350 ish. I did that the second season that we lived down here in the Valley and it can get a bit. boring as it is a small resort..the good news was it was the really big season of of 10-11 and almost every day was a pow day

My favorite ski area by far is Snowbasin. I only go during the week as it can get "busy" by Utah standards, on weekends. I love the terrain, the tree skiing, the lodges and the scenery. It takes me about 45-55 minutes to get there for where I live(3500S, 3100E) so I don't go to often.

I am not a fan of PCMR at all and was able to ski there for free, ski shop thing again, for 10 years and went two times. Hate the terrain, hate the layout of the mountain,hate the parking situation,hate the food. Guess you could say I just don't like it at all. Now that Talisker is trying to grab their land back from under
PCMR, PCMR is saying they may not open this season and it's all tied up in lawsuits. The only peeps happy about that are the lawyers.

Love Deer Valley but it's pricey, love The Canyons but they jacked the mid week to 999 last season so thank goodness for the shop passes.

I like Solitude too even though that was the scene of the crime of my ski injury. It can look crowded in the parking lot but once you get up OU tra the base area, it well, Solitudinal!
Not a fan of Alta and like Snowbird even less. I think I need to go with some people that ski Alta all the time and I would like it better...

Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 AM

323 posts, read 956,998 times
Skibarbie, you didn't mention Powder Mountain in your review. Have you ever skied there?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM

I haven't skied up there yet! I want to but,,,,they need a good snow year as they do not have a ton of snowmaking, it's more than an hour away from me and I have a hard time justifying the drive when BCC and The Canyons are 20-25 minutes away.
I have never heard anything but good but I understand they are under new ownership and I hope they don't change anything!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM

39 posts, read 79,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Hate the terrain, hate the layout of the mountain,hate the parking situation,hate the food. Guess you could say I just don't like it at all.r...
Ok no bad more talk about PCMR!! especially just after I purchased my season passes

Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Sorry Snowbuddy, I saw that and hoped you wouldn't read this post!
You and your family will have a great time no matter which resort you go to, provided PCMR and Talisker get it together.
I hope I didn't completely deflate you "snow bubble" with my opinion of PCMR and that's all it is, my opinion

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 PM

39 posts, read 79,904 times
Not at all! I'm not that sensitive. I knew about the risk about the law suit. My wife has skied there and loved it so happy wife... happy life

Look any of the ski resorts in Utah we are going to LOVE - we will probably end up skiing them all - but the chance to save $1000 all up for my family - I couldn't resist. We also always get there before lifts open so hopefully miss some of the crap parking.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 PM

323 posts, read 956,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I haven't skied up there yet! I want to but,,,,they need a good snow year as they do not have a ton of snowmaking, it's more than an hour away from me and I have a hard time justifying the drive when BCC and The Canyons are 20-25 minutes away.
I have never heard anything but good but I understand they are under new ownership and I hope they don't change anything!
They have zero snowmaking, but that's one of their greatest assets. Lack of snowmaking basically means that during a horrible snow year, like last year, they get off to a slow start. But once they get into the season it's not an issue. It's also nice not to have the man made snow under ski at any time during your day. lol

It only takes an average snow year to make a great season at PowMow. In a spectacular season like 2010-2011 it was unworldly. Think ALTA without the crowds and unlimited uncut powder lines.

The only downside is that if you only ski groomed you might be bored after a few days. It's the off-piste that makes the place special. But, if it helps, there is plenty of non-threatening off-piste lines and there are only a handful of places where you might wander into an "oh-oh" situation.

The new ownership situation has everyone a bit nervous. It has been leaked that the group that purchased it has no intent to change the mountain, except to add a conference center to facilitate a think tank. Apparently they've been skiing there for years and like the laid-back, old time skiing atmosphere. Since there's very little lodging they'll either build up on the mountain or on the 500 acres they bought near the mouth of the canyon.

For those who have never been there or heard of Powder Mountain it is somewhat unique in that you drive to the top of the mountain to park and then ski down into the back hinterlands. Since the only way up is a road a bit less substantial than the road up to ALTA/Snowbird, any expansion is hindered by the inability to process huge numbers of cars.

The future will be very interesting. You should at least come up and give it a try. Stop at the ski shop in Eden just after you pass the Lake and the day pass will be about $52. You can't beat that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area