U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM

384 posts, read 904,431 times

Advertisements

I know that I'm asking people to make generalizations here, but I'm wondering how the culture of kids might be different.
We live in San Diego, but it's possible we'd move to SLC at some point because a company in downtown SLC that my husband would love to work for tried to recruit him recently. Now isn't the right time, but it's made me want to investigate the area for the future.
We have three young kids, the oldest being in 4th grade, and she's pretty geeky and not socially mature or savvy. I kind of like it. She's not boy crazy, doesn't listen to pop music, doesn't care about her looks, etc. The kids' culture in San Diego is generally too mature for my taste. So I'm wondering, does the LDS background of the area mean that kids are kept more innocent and not encouraged to grow up too fast? We're atheists, but I'm a fuddy duddy (don't drink, party, wear make-up). We're very liberal politically, but I hate the overly sexy attitudes and clothes that teens wear around here.
Also, how about bullying? We have a fair amount of it here (although my daughter hasn't experienced any so far). Are LDS kids nicer because of their religious training?
Thanks,
Janine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 PM

140 posts, read 304,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janineg View Post
I know that I'm asking people to make generalizations here, but I'm wondering how the culture of kids might be different.
We live in San Diego, but it's possible we'd move to SLC at some point because a company in downtown SLC that my husband would love to work for tried to recruit him recently. Now isn't the right time, but it's made me want to investigate the area for the future.
We have three young kids, the oldest being in 4th grade, and she's pretty geeky and not socially mature or savvy. I kind of like it. She's not boy crazy, doesn't listen to pop music, doesn't care about her looks, etc. The kids' culture in San Diego is generally too mature for my taste. So I'm wondering, does the LDS background of the area mean that kids are kept more innocent and not encouraged to grow up too fast? We're atheists, but I'm a fuddy duddy (don't drink, party, wear make-up). We're very liberal politically, but I hate the overly sexy attitudes and clothes that teens wear around here.
Also, how about bullying? We have a fair amount of it here (although my daughter hasn't experienced any so far). Are LDS kids nicer because of their religious training?
Thanks,
Janine
Well, you probably have researched the area to know that SLC is no longer predominantly LDS. It really is becoming a melting pot for families and other's alike to move to an area with values and a sense of community so many others in the U.S. have lost. The area is getting a huge influx from the So. Cal itself. It really does depend at this point what town you decide to move to. From other threads and my own personal experience North of SLC, the farther North you go, the tighter and higher ratioed the LDS communities are. If you want more info, just message me and I will give you an unbiased opinion and information that might be helpful. I have too much to say (positively) to have this thread go on and on

Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM

3,053 posts, read 5,953,531 times
From what I observe (not having kids) they are highly materialistic to the 10th degree. Very hung up on what they have, how they look and pay attention to what others do or do NOT have and how THEY look. Just peruse a mall sometime. It's just possible however your kids might hook up with some others that are like themselves and be able to tune most of that out.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM

So it sounds like they're pretty much the same as other kids. I remember the LDS kids from my high school in San Diego being perhaps a bit nicer than the average kid, but it was a pretty small sample size!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 AM

973 posts, read 2,005,677 times
Quote:
Thanks,
Janine
I'm not LDS, and a transplant. My 2 cents, living in a very LDS area. Love it! As far as kids, it's a toss up, kinda like with non LDS kids, IMO. I love most in our neighborhood. I get asked nightly, now that it is summer, for sleepovers. Lol

I'm very conservative $$$ wise, and very liberal social wise. I admit I made fun of, but, now that my dd is growing up, I appreciate and am thankful for any modest ness.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM

2,422 posts, read 3,482,281 times
Kids are the same everywhere. Perhaps the OPs question should have been: How do parents compare to SoCal parents raising their children?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,089,088 times
I don't think that parents are much different here either. There are plenty of bad parents in Utah regardless of religion. I am not sure why geographic location would make someone a worse parent than a parent in another state.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Just to be clear, I asked about how the kids might differ, not the parents, because I'm more interested in the interactions my kids will have with other kids. I'm curious about the "end result" of different parenting styles (ie, the kids), not in the parents themselves. And I don't think it's the geography that would cause differences, but the highly religious milieu of Salt Lake City compared to Southern California.
For instance, isn't alcohol harder to come by in Utah? Is teen drinking less of a problem? Drugs? I was hoping that some of the transplants from California would give opinions (hilgi? I remember there being others from CA).
But I suppose we'll just have to take a trip out to see for ourselves! So much about the area seems better than San Diego (except weather, although snow would be fun for the kids).
Janine

Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 AM

973 posts, read 2,005,677 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, I asked about how the kids might differ, not the parents, because I'm more interested in the interactions my kids will have with other kids. I'm curious about the "end result" of different parenting styles (ie, the kids), not in the parents themselves. And I don't think it's the geography that would cause differences, but the highly religious milieu of Salt Lake City compared to Southern California.
For instance, isn't alcohol harder to come by in Utah? Is teen drinking less of a problem? Drugs? I was hoping that some of the transplants from California would give opinions (hilgi? I remember there being others from CA).
But I suppose we'll just have to take a trip out to see for ourselves! So much about the area seems better than San Diego (except weather, although snow would be fun for the kids).
Janine
I will bluntly say, come with an open mind. Respect any religion that is the 'norm' in your hood. JMHO. I may not agree with all the LDS opinions/views, but, I go to their church, and our family thieves in activities at their church, so, I am always respectful.

Yes, I am friends with tons of Cali to Utah transplants, who love it here. I honestly, have not heard any Cali transplants regret moving to Utah. Way better cost of living, etc.

Hubby and I drink. We came from brew thru, Ohio, and do fine. My DS's bestie's are both LDS. My DD's bestie is also LDS. Most other friends are also LDS. I have one neighbor and her DS, who are not LDS, in our hood, but, that is all. It's about 4 or 5/1 LDS 'vs' non LDS. None of the kids care, nor do the parents. I've found some LDS kids and parents are more bias against other LDS kids/parents, then us. Everyone loves us. I must be doing something right. Lol

Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,917 times
We came here from the Pacific NW the first of the year and we are LDS, though not as dedicated as most in this area. Our kids are shocked at the mouths their peers have, they curse, talk about sharing ADD medication, some in their class cut themselves. The kids are rude to the teachers, and to each other and talk like young dirty mouth truck drivers, where we moved from kids were NOT like that at all and the certainly didn't talk back to adults like the kids I have heard around this area. We are not in SLC, but live near the Hill AFB area of Utah, my teens have even had the 5 yr old LDS neighbor girl tell them to let her in our backyard to play with our two younger kids or she would "kill them!" Not sure how it is in your area, but when we moved here we thought we would have a whole lot of positive influences for our children, but that is not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area