U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,964,477 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am visiting SLC for my first time with a friend next week. Myself and good friend (both 52 from NC) will be there for only 2.5 days (Thurs afternoon, leave Sunday morning.

Many of you may be surprised at why we are visiting this area. We are adrenaline junkies and love going to areas that offer "tracked" outdoor thrills such as zip lines, roller coasters, alpine slides......that sort of stuff.

We have traveled to many parts of the US and abroad to get our "fix" so to speak. I also love visiting historical monuments and museums when time permits. We will try to get in some sight seeing in downtown since our hotel is on Main St. SLC.

I think with our short time span we have scheduled just about all that 2 old guys can handle. To touch briefly on where we are going: Lagoon Amusement Park (either Friday or Saturday), and Park City, where they have an Alpine Coaster, Alpine Slides, Olympic Bobsled rides and Zip lines. Weeeeeeeee!!!!

My question: are there any gay-friendly restaurants in either Park City or SLC? My google searches have hit a dead end. We are not particularly looking for gay bars (although my friend might), but mainly a coffee shop or restaurant where people watching is o'plenty. Laid back place to hang for an hour or so. And just in case, are there any gay bars for older guys?

So, are you fellow SLC'rs up to the task on such short notice? I am so excited about visiting here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,551,037 times
You will not stand out in downtown. According to a friend who was researching for a gay travel book, SLC has one of the highest per capita population of LGBT folks. The Marmalade district, just north of downtown, is the gayborhood.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 PM

16 posts, read 26,238 times
Fun! Park City is beautiful, I don't think you'll have a hard time finding good restaurants & fun times. I really like the Greenhouse Effect Coffee Shop & Crepery it's a neat little place & their crepes are delicious.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 AM

1,910 posts, read 1,245,367 times
Not an expert on this topic and quite new to salt lake, but there is a pizza / Italian restaurant with very good ambiance downtown (Vinto) that my wife and I have gone to a couple of times and like. And, our impression is that most of the staff is gay. My guess is that you would be welcome there, but as others say - also at a number of other establishments...

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM

25,822 posts, read 26,606,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Hi. I am visiting SLC for my first time with a friend next week. Myself and good friend (both 52 from NC) will be there for only 2.5 days (Thurs afternoon, leave Sunday morning.

Many of you may be surprised at why we are visiting this area. We are adrenaline junkies and love going to areas that offer "tracked" outdoor thrills such as zip lines, roller coasters, alpine slides......that sort of stuff.
Adrenaline junkies, huh? My kind of people. Have you considering skydiving here?

Quote:
We have traveled to many parts of the US and abroad to get our "fix" so to speak. I also love visiting historical monuments and museums when time permits. We will try to get in some sight seeing in downtown since our hotel is on Main St. SLC.
There's a lot of history in Salt Lake City, mostly Mormon history. How much time do you think you're going to want to spend actually sightseeing?

Quote:
I think with our short time span we have scheduled just about all that 2 old guys can handle. To touch briefly on where we are going: Lagoon Amusement Park (either Friday or Saturday), and Park City, where they have an Alpine Coaster, Alpine Slides, Olympic Bobsled rides and Zip lines. Weeeeeeeee!!!!
Sounds like an absolute blast!

Quote:
My question: are there any gay-friendly restaurants in either Park City or SLC? My google searches have hit a dead end. We are not particularly looking for gay bars (although my friend might), but mainly a coffee shop or restaurant where people watching is o'plenty. Laid back place to hang for an hour or so. And just in case, are there any gay bars for older guys?
I volunteer at the Salt Lake City Visitors Center on Saturday afternoons, so I'll be there in just a couple of days. I know we have one gay publication available. I've never looked through it (it's a magazine), but I could pick one up on Saturday and have some specific answers for you on Sunday if you wouldn't mind checking back then.

Quote:
So, are you fellow SLC'rs up to the task on such short notice? I am so excited about visiting here.
I hope it meets your expectations!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM

5,112 posts, read 15,845,178 times
Sounds like a lot of fun.

Are you aware there are two different venues in Park City that offer alpine slides and zip lines? I didn't know this until a group of us from work were planning a retreat last month.

Park City Mountain Resort and Utah Olympic Park both have alpine slides & zip lines. I've only been to PCMR's alpine slide so I couldn't compare the two locations. At PCMR, my favorite is the alpine coaster. My co-workers who did the zip line, and rode both the alpine slide and coaster agreed that the coaster is the best of those three choices. One co-worker with no fear (or sense) took a turn too quick on the alpine slide and flew/slid out of his track and into another one. He had injuries that took him a week to recover. Nothing major, but painful nonetheless. Don't want that to happen at the beginning of your vacation. Another co-worker, who is approaching 70 years old had a great time on all three activities. At PCMR, you can also ride the chair lifts up the mountain, get off and mountain bike/hike around if that interests you.

Might want to keep an eye to the sky when planning where to go on what day. Sometimes, rides at PCMR are closed when their is significant rain or thunderstorms. And I think they often say, "no refunds" on the tickets. I'm guessing Olympic Park might do the same.

Have a great time and welcome.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM

835 posts, read 1,964,250 times
The Canyons also has a fairly decent zip line that started last winter season. You can take the Gondie up, do the zip line, have lunch at Red Pine lodge then hike back down. If you are doing the bobsled thing at the Olympic Park, make sure you are not seated in the "back" seat. I have heard from to many people that the amount of whipping/jarring etc that the person at the back of the sled, doesn't seem to matter if it's on blades or wheels, can be uncomfortable.
A great pace to eat up there will be easy to find, my favorite, for lunch, is Cafe Terigo and they have a nice patio on the south side of the restaurant too

Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM

762 posts, read 1,992,069 times
Pretty much every restaurant in the tourist areas of Park City (like Main Street and the resort) will be gay "friendly," though there are no officially designated gay bars or restaurants there. I do like the Java Cow on Main Street and it often has great people watching from its tiny patio out front.

In SLC, there are a handful of gay bars and many gay-friendly (and even predominantly gay) restaurants.

For bars, Jam (JAM Salt Lake City | Gay Bar & Night Club) is one of the most popular and generally has a pretty mixed crowd, age-wise (20s-40s). Try-Angles (Club Try-Angles) is also friendly, but it skews older (30s-50s) and more "bear." The Trapp (http://www.thetrappslc.com) is a kinda rundown cowboy bar, but the drinks are cheap and the staff is friendly, and it rarely has anyone under 35 in it... usually everyone is 50+.

Restaurants:
The staff at Trio (Welcome to Cafe Trio) downtown (NOT Cottonwood) has a decidedly gay bend to it, and the food is quite good.
As mentioned above, Vinto (Vinto - Casual Italian, Wood Fired Pizza, Salt Lake City) is also a good option.
Other good gay-positive options include: Bambara (Downtown Salt Lake City New American Restaurant & Lounge | Bambara), the restaurant in the Hotel Monaco; Eva (Small Plates Restaurant | Just another WordPress site | Small Plates Restaurant), on Main Street; Martine (http://martinecafe.com/); and Mazza (Mazza Middle Eastern Cuisine - 9th & 9th | 15th & 15th - Salt Lake City, Utah).
You might also check out the "Restaurants" section of GaySaltLake (Utah's gay- and lesbian-friendly businesses, bars, restaurants, shops and organizations | Gay Salt Lake Directory).

For coffee shops, the "gayest" is definitely Coffee Garden near 9th & 9th (which is also where Mazza is located, and very near Trio); there is also a smaller Coffee Garden on Main Street. The people watching may be better on Main, however. Other good options: Nobrow (Nobrow Coffee and Tea Company), and Beans & Brews near Liberty Park (which is worth a visit... though it's not adrenaline-inducing!).

You might also enjoy shopping at Trolley Square, which is relatively close to Liberty Park and 9th & 9th. Both Tabula Rasa and Cabin Fever, gift stores at Trolley, have predominantly gay staffs.

Feel free to shoot me a DM if you have more questions.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM

762 posts, read 1,992,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
A great pace to eat up there will be easy to find, my favorite, for lunch, is Cafe Terigo and they have a nice patio on the south side of the restaurant too
I second Terigo; their patio is great!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,964,477 times
Terigo sounds like a must! And Coffee Garden sounds perfect. Thanks zionide! Who knows, maybe us southern fellas will venture into The Trapp! I'm not much for bars (of any type) but heck....it's vacation.

Thanks for the bobsled tips skibarbie. I will try for the front seat!!!

Thanks so much for all these great ideas everyone. Keep them coming! I would love another full day there. Is Temple Square worth visiting? We were thinking maybe Thursday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>