Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 PM

103 posts, read 304,910 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I just wanted to see if I can get some tips regarding the Days of '47 parade that will be taking place downtown this Tuesday. It will be my first time but from pictures I've seen, it looks like it has the potential to get insanely crowded. If I'm not camping the night before, when is the best time to scout for spots and set up chairs along the route? Any suggestions for good locations to set up? How is parking? We are thinking of taking trax (if it's running). Any tips or help would be appreciated!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
Hi all!

I just wanted to see if I can get some tips regarding the Days of '47 parade that will be taking place downtown this Tuesday. It will be my first time but from pictures I've seen, it looks like it has the potential to get insanely crowded. If I'm not camping the night before, when is the best time to scout for spots and set up chairs along the route? Any suggestions for good locations to set up? How is parking? We are thinking of taking trax (if it's running). Any tips or help would be appreciated!

Thank you
I haven't actually been to the parade in quite a number of years (not since it went down Main Street). But based on my experiences back then, I'd say that the east side of 200 East will be the most crowded part of the parade route due to the fact that it will be shadier than the west side of street. Since there are fewer really tall buildings, though, that factor may not be as significant as it once was. For some reason, people seem to like to see a parade near the beginning of the parade route instead of near the end. That's really kind of ridiculous in my opinion. If you agree, then try to find seats alone 900 South instead of on 200 East. It will still be crowded, but probably less so as the parade approaches Liberty Park, where all the floats end up at the conclusion of the parade. Like you, I have always found the idea of camping out on the parade route to be insane, but you will need to go early to find any kind of place to see what's going on. If you have foldable lawn chairs, I would strongly suggest them. Much of the parade route (especially now that it's no longer on Main Street) is in a semi-residential area. How willing the residents are to let strangers put up their chairs on their front lawns will make a big difference in how much seating there is.

Keep in mind that the parade is 3 hours long and it's going to be hot. It's a fun parade, though. I think you'll enjoy it.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM

224 posts, read 639,837 times
The nice thing about heading to Liberty Park area is that the parade gets there about an hour later so it is not as essential to be there by 8am. And yes it does get crowded there, lots of shade and an easy walk for people in the vicinity.

But plan about an hour early either at the beginning or at the end. Places with shade go first so bring some of your own. Also chairs, blanket, water, food, and money.

TRAX will be running and would be a good way to avoid looking for parking. It will run on a Sunday schedule with no east west travel in the Parade zone during the parade time. Get off at the Courthouse and walk up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area