Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,222 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Salt Lake from Florida within the year and could use some advice on finding the best neighborhood and elementary school for our kids. We would like to be in a somewhat walkable neighborhood with good schools that have some religious and ethnic diversity. From my research I have identified Sugarhouse, Greater Avenues, and possibly North Salt Lake. Does anyone have any helpful information to share on these areas and other potential neighborhoods/schools? Also, we will be renting a house for a while before buying and I'd love to find a realtor that could assist us in finding a house rental. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,337 times
Ethnic diversity is a bit hard to find in Utah (unfortunately). I would shy away from North Salt Lake, as it is a very industrial area and the residents in the area deal with unusual odors due to the refineries, the factories and the ponds. Millcreek and Sugarhouse would provide the walkable community you desire as well as good schools and some refreshing diversity. Daybreak (which is in the southwest corner of the valley) is an up and coming community that is walkable as well.

The schools in the Salt Lake Valley tend to increase in quality (test scores, classroom sizes, etc.) the farther east you go. A good resource for the lowdown on the local schools visit [url=http://www.greatschools.org/]GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent
Moderator cut: not t allowed

Hope this helps you!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-28-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 PM

140 posts, read 333,877 times
Where in Fl? We came from there 1 1/2 yrs ago from Brandon near Tampa.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkeeley View Post
From my research I have identified Sugarhouse, Greater Avenues, and possibly North Salt Lake.
I'd second the suggestion to stay away from North Salt Lake. Sugarhouse and the Avenues are both nice (older homes, though, if that's okay with you). You might also consider East Millcreek.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 38,538 times
Are there smells in the Hill Air force area, Like Layton, Clearfield, West haven, Roy, West point.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM

128 posts, read 267,916 times
Nope no smells in the Layton area besides the occasional lake smell but it's not to bad.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM

186 posts, read 377,730 times
We might too be coming from Tampa area to Utah. Non-mormon and looking for like areas if anyone knows of any with decent home rentals.
Thanks

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
I'm a transplant. I am 'way out west' in the SL valley, and LOVE the west side. Just me. Hubby and I love the newness of the west side, and, for US, the east side is all we dislike in Ohio, old, and crowded. Just us. Most seem to adore the east. All we see are old, bad drivers there. Lol and I suck at driving.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
I'm not LDS and I've lived here for a very long time. I grew up in the suburbs of Salt lake and personally I don't even like to visit family out there. Others will disagree I'm sure, but outside of the Salt Lake bubble it's pretty uncomfortable, at least for me it is.

With that said, Salt Lake, Sugarhouse and The Avenues are great. In my Sugarhouse neighborhood there are only a couple families that I know are LDS and they're a lot more down-to-earth than the suburban Mormons I grew up with. Lots of people who used to be Mormon, and the LDS church probably still counts them as members but there are more Hindus in my neighborhood than Mormons as far as I can tell.

But as much as I feel at home in my Salt Lake bubble, It's impossible to ignore the fact that the LDS church runs the state so as a non-Mormon in Utah I find it impossible to ever feel like I can call this place 'home' and I'm a 5th generation Utahn. That's Why I'm on this site from time to time.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBella View Post
Ethnic diversity is a bit hard to find in Utah (unfortunately). I would shy away from North Salt Lake, as it is a very industrial area and the residents in the area deal with unusual odors ...!
Are you serious? What school does your child go to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area