U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,641 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'll try to make this short but sweet. We will be moving to the Salt Lake area in the next month or so. We are moving there for my husband's job.
a) Hubby's office is in West Valley City, I think pretty darn far west. Husband will be travelling a lot so easy access to the airport is important (Trax?).
b) Torn between living in a house because we have three young kids and a dog VS. living in a condo/townhome since hubby won't be around much to take care of the yard. I know, that's probably going to be a personal decision, but I'd love to hear what you think!
c) We lived in Sandy in 2008 and really liked our neighborhood. I would love to live in the Sandy/White City/Draper area again, just because I'm familiar with the area. But I don't think that we can afford to live there again. We are looking at monthly rent between $1000 - $1200. I think Sandy is more expensive than that.
d) Husband is thinking about moving north of Salt Lake. Is that a good idea? What areas/communities should I look at?
e) Now for the LDS issue. We are NOT LDS. A lot of people on these forums say that religion is not really an issue. But when we lived there before we DID have people ostracize us for not being Mormon. Fortunately, we found Sandy to be a generally welcoming community. So what I'm saying is that I realize that some areas are more LDS than others (think Happy Valley).

So: can anyone make any recommendations of other cities / communities in the Valley for a family to live based on these circumstances:
- Easy access to airport and West Valley City
- $1000 - $1200 / month budget for rent
- Non Mormon Family with 3 elementary and preschool aged children
-Townhome VS. Single family home

So much for short but sweet.... Regardless, I thank you in advance for your input! Each and every time we move (and we move a LOT, even though we are not military), I look to the awesome people of city-data.com to point me in the right direction. So far, the kindness of strangers has not led me wrong!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM

5,114 posts, read 15,906,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akren4 View Post
...So: can anyone make any recommendations of other cities / communities in the Valley for a family to live based on these circumstances:
- Easy access to airport and West Valley City
- $1000 - $1200 / month budget for rent
- Non Mormon Family with 3 elementary and preschool aged children
-Townhome VS. Single family home...
Although not listed in this list, I think renting with a dog should also be on your list. In fact, it might be the deciding factor on where you'l live and what type of housing you'll be able to rent.

I've never rented a SFH nor a townhome, and I don't have kids. So I'm no help there. But I have rented several apartments in SL county with a dog. That can be challenging if you want a nice place in a decent area.

I'd pick a townhome rather than a SFH so I wasn't stuck with yard work. But with a townhome, you might end up with a neighbor who complains about your dog and you've got an HOA to deal with.

Wouldn't live in WVC. Not sure when the TRAX line to the airport opens (or if it's already open). Perhaps chosing housing that allows for the TRAX commute for your husband would also help guide your decision.

Welcome back to Utah.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM

3,135 posts, read 6,170,146 times
For what you are describing I would choose to look at the SOUTH end of West Jordan. The best compromise in choices of options of type of housing, cost and access to good schools and shopping and TRAX as well. I too would pass on WVC PERIOD to live

Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 3,995,731 times
We live in the Sandy/Draper border area (11th east about 11700 South)... Just walking the dog yesterday I saw TWO rental signs on houses. They just went up in the last week.

I would NOT live in White City - it's a dump.

I think rentals here are about 1200 a month - could be even less.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,641 times
Default Sandy/Draper area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We live in the Sandy/Draper border area (11th east about 11700 South)... Just walking the dog yesterday I saw TWO rental signs on houses. They just went up in the last week.

I would NOT live in White City - it's a dump.

I think rentals here are about 1200 a month - could be even less.
Oh my gosh, really? Because that's near where we used to live (114th South & 7th East) and I definitely would like to check out homes there. But all I have to go on is what's listed on KSL and Craigslist so I know I'm missing a LOT of homes because not everyone lists online. Would you be at all willing to email me the addresses, or phone numbers off the signs? I don't know if that is an unusual request or if I'm making a faux paus by asking so pardon me if I am, but if you are willing that would be awesome! I don't know if I should juAlsost post my email address right here or if there is a more private way to go about this (assuming that you are willing).

Also, I found an ad for a home in Magna, which would be near his work and the airport, but seems awfully close to WVC. Is Magna better than WVC, or pretty much the same?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 3,995,731 times
114th and 7th east is NOT White City.

One rental is on the Corner of Stone Valley Way and Eagle Ridge Drive. If I remember I will get the phone number. The address is on Stone Valley Way, Sandy, 84094. It's a house that has changed hands ALOT - so there might be something wrong with the house.

I forget where the other one is.

I cannot speak to Magna.. but I wouldn't choose to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area