U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 18,168 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in West Valley City. We are moving from out-of-state. We DO NOT want to live in the city and have been looking north and south of Salt Lake. At first we were eying the Herriman/Riverton/South Jordan area, the housing looks pretty nice but the schools don't look great. The scores are not very good on greatschools.org. We started looking at the Bountiful/Centerville area but it seems a little too pricey for us. We are trying to stay around $275 for a house (or under). Then I found my dream home in Syracuse. But I don't know much about it at all. Is it a good place to live? Would the commute be horrible for my husband? Are there things to do in Syracuse? Parks, swimming pools, community center, etc.? We have four children ages 7 - 1. Education is really important to us and we want our kids in a good school. I've been looking at charter schools but they seem difficult to get into. We've heard Davis school district is great, but Syracuse doesn't have really high scores for schools either. I know it's hard to tell just from some random website. We would like a place that is just kind of an all-American town, good for families, safe, quiet, etc. We ARE Mormon, so not too worried about a culture shock! (Although I do believe that Utah Mormon's have a culture all their own but that's a whole different story). Anyway, would Syracuse be a good place for us or would one of the other places get us more what we're looking for? Any info would help! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM

2,486 posts, read 6,493,654 times
Syracuse to West Valley would be a bit of a commute, especially in the winter. I really would take Greatschools info with a grain of salt, however.

Have you looked into Cottonwood Heights? How about the Draper area?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,957,287 times
You're best bet is likely going to be Daybreak in South Jordan. I can easily make it down Bangerter Hwy to WVC in 20 minutes. The Daybreak scenario will provide the best schools, shopping and safety overall in an environment that should please. Check it out and I think you'll find it the best compromise.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the input. We have looked into all of those places (I definitely liked Daybreak) but I guess our problem is we need a home that's on the larger size (big family and still growing) and all of these places cost just enough over our budget that we can't try for any of them. I'm starting to lose hope that we'll find what we're looking for. I feel like we are going to have to sacrifice a good school for a large home or sacrifice a larger home for a shorter commute, etc.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 AM

28 posts, read 62,747 times
I know a few people who work in the district office of Davis School District so I asked them about Davis schools because we are relocating from Logan for a job near the airport. I grew up in Centerville but I have not lived there for 12 or more years, and my family is no longer there, but I can guarantee it is a great, friendly, safe place to grow up, with good schools. Your budget and family size/age are similar to ours, so I know how hard it is to find the right place in Centerville/Bountiful in that price range. I'm sure I'm biased, but Syracuse isn't as "nice" :-).

Based on what the district employees told me you can't really go wrong with schools in Davis County from Kaysville south. Davis High School is supposed to be the "best" high school in the district (it's fed from Farmington, Kaysville, and Fruit Heights I believe). I know it does offer the most AP and college classes and good extracurriculars. One employee is moving from the Clearfield area to Kaysville partly to get his kids out of the Clearfield High boundaries and into the Davis High boundaries, if that says anything. I think you might actually find something in Kaysville or west Farmington that might suit you, and both those communities have a nice hometown feel, with small "downtowns", larger newer shopping areas on the edge of town, and new construction homes as well as older homes.

Other ideas are West Bountiful and the Foxboro subdivisions in North Salt Lake (near Redwood Road, and this would be a much better commute for your husband than Syracuse). There are a LOT of homes for sale in Foxboro. It's not my style, personally, just because I would prefer a bigger mix of ages and homes in my neighborhood, but if you are looking for new construction and the amenities that come with it, that could be a good bet. It has a splash pad, community center, etc., kind of like Daybreak but not as picturesque and less walkable (little to no commercial). One thing to be aware of is that the Foxboro elementary school is year-around, and the West Bountiful elementary will likely be year-around in the coming years, due to the high population growth in those areas right now. I don't know if that makes a difference to you?

I know where you're coming from with the house/distance thing. My husband said he wouldn't commute from any farther north than Centerville, and it just seemed like I kept finding all these great houses in Kaysville! We just went under contract on a very nice older rambler on the Bountiful bench, and decided to go near to the max of our comfortable price range to do it (not the max of our loan qualification range, mind you). Unlike you, I *want* to live in the city -- but I don't want to raise my kids there. Bountiful it is.

If you choose Syracuse you will have your husband home less due to a longer commute, and you will have the additional auto wear and tear costs that might eat up some of what you're saving on the house. However, I'm sure you would build a happy life there and enjoy your neighbors and community.

Let me know if I can help in any way, like if you want details on a specific school I might be able to ask.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,033,347 times
However...

Syracuse is a great family-friendly town that is growing all the time. They have excellent public transit to downtown SLC, through bus and Front Runner train. And UTA just recently opened a new TRAX light rail from downtown to WVC.

And most importantly, homes in Syracuse are FAR cheaper than in Daybreak, Cottonwood Heights or Bountiful. But the other posters are right, a commute from somewhere like Foxboro, Daybreak or South Jordan to WVC would probably be better than Syracuse. Personally we looked at Foxboro and they homes were too close together and we were afraid of the flooding that close to the Lake. (plus the refineries arent that attractive).

Have you looked at places like Herriman or west West Jordan (west/south of that little airport out there)? Might be a good idea to check it out.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Thank you venusv and sp2007! This is exactly the kind of information and details I'm looking for! I have looked at schools in Kaysville and like what I see, the housing just seems a little more expensive than other places. We just found one in Fruit Heights that might work (although it's bank owned and I've heard it's a nightmare to actually get through all the paperwork and red tape with those kind.) The schools for that house would be in Kaysville and they get great reviews. I hadn't even heard of Foxboro so I guess we'll at least check it out! My husband said from the beginning he wouldn't do West Jordan, not sure why. We've looked at Herriman, housing options are better but I don't really like what I see for the public schools. They look especially crowded, get mixed reviews and most are year round (trying to avoid that if we can). Can anyone tell me anything about charter schools? My girls go to a school here that seems to be run almost exactly like what they are describing charter schools as down there. My girls don't have to wear a uniform though. Is it difficult for kids to transition from an elementary/middle charter school to a regular public high school? Anyway, thanks for the information on the different cities. I don't want the commute for my husband if we pick Syracuse, but it sounds like at least it would be a good community for our family. We would love somewhere between Kaysville and Bountiful but it's all more expensive. Guess we'll just keep looking! I appreciate all of your input!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,957,287 times
Do keep in mind that commute FROM the North to WVC will be unreal bad in poor weather. I just can not imagine living North of I-80 and dealing with a commute to WVC. it would be akin to commuting from Provo to the SL Valley. The word "nightmare" comes to mind. Most of the schools in Herriman are new in case you didn't notice. Not sure what gave you the impression they were crowded at this point. They were built for overflow, but then the births are overflowing so it will certainly catch up. :-(

Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,033,347 times
That's not true. I have several co-workers who live in Syracuse, Layton, Clearfield and they all commute, without problems most of the time to SLC. Most of them use reliable and accessible public transportation.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM

28 posts, read 62,747 times
I wasn't trying to slander Syracuse :-) Like I said, I think the OP would be happy there if they can be happy with the commute. I wouldn't call it a nightmare in the winter, it is just a longer commute overall. I don't know enough about whether FrontRunner/Trax would be an option? So much has changed in the public transit options since I last lived here.

A friend of mine from West Jordan said if I was going to house hunt in that area she would recommend SOUTH Jordan for better schools and houses, but I don't know much about that. We wanted to stay north of I-80 anyway, due to locations of friends and family. Some people also go out to Tooele or Grantsville if they want bigger houses/more land/more rural feel and don't mind the longer commute. Did you look at anything there?

What are you looking for in a house? I toured a lot of homes from North Salt Lake to Centerville in that price range and drove by maaaaaany others in the current listings. I might be able to clarify whether you can find what you want in that area and price...maybe by waiting for the right thing to list, or by putting a lower offer on something that's been on the market longer?

As to the bank-owned and short sales, two friends of mine bought houses in those circumstances in the past year and a half. One in Kaysville and one in Bountiful. It seemed like it took about three months for each. Somewhat of a hassle, but the end result was worth it since they got the homes they wanted at low prices. What are your housing accommodations while you are house hunting? When is your move date? Do you have an agent to work with yet?

Sorry I don't know much about charter schools here. Some have uniforms and some have uniform-style clothing (like solid polos and khakis or navy pants, but no specific outfits). Maybe some don't have uniforms at all? Don't know. My little sis- and bro-in-laws went/go to a charter school in Logan where we are moving from. They seemed fine transitioning to the middle/high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area