U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
 
242 posts, read 788,207 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

I'm not sure if there's anything like this out there but if there is and someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I currently live in a basement apartment in a house. I have lived here for 5 years now. I'm on the 5th set of people living above me. My landlords used to live above me but moved out at the end of the April because the husband got a job in California. He rented the upstairs of the house to 4 college guys. I am going out of my mind because they constantly blare loud thumping music. Sometimes it is so loud I can't drown out the sound with anything else. I have complained many times to my landlord and he just "talks" to them. They quiet down for a few weeks and then they get at it again. I would love to move but I might be moving out of state come springtime so I'd really like to avoid it at this point of all possible. Is there anyone that works as an advocate for renters? I've been the perfect tenant for 5 years and have never once complained about sound. It isn't the sound of living but the sound of music so loud that I can hear it word for word.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 AM
 
Location: New York
477 posts, read 1,297,769 times
Reputation: 297
I would just knock in their door and nicely ask if they could keep the volume down because you are working from home/doing schoolwork. Maybe they dont realize how loud it is, who knows if the landlord actually talked to them or not.

If they are nasty about it or keep it up then you use your biggest resource.. Call the cops.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
 
242 posts, read 788,207 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I would just knock in their door and nicely ask if they could keep the volume down because you are working from home/doing schoolwork. Maybe they dont realize how loud it is, who knows if the landlord actually talked to them or not.

If they are nasty about it or keep it up then you use your biggest resource.. Call the cops.
Oh I've talked to them several times. They sent one down to talk to me about it and he pretty much said that this is what I get for living in a basement and that I can't tell them how to live their lives. I've called the cops on them once due to a really rambunctious party. We've tried to establish "quiet" hours - no blaring music after 10pm on week nights and they abide by that for the most part. Now it's the insanely loud music before that time. I was able to snag a few recordings of how loud it was yesterday on my phone that I'll send to the landlord. I just worry about him doing nothing yet again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM
 
Location: New York
477 posts, read 1,297,769 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post
Oh I've talked to them several times. They sent one down to talk to me about it and he pretty much said that this is what I get for living in a basement and that I can't tell them how to live their lives. I've called the cops on them once due to a really rambunctious party. We've tried to establish "quiet" hours - no blaring music after 10pm on week nights and they abide by that for the most part. Now it's the insanely loud music before that time. I was able to snag a few recordings of how loud it was yesterday on my phone that I'll send to the landlord. I just worry about him doing nothing yet again.
There has to be some noise ordinance even before 10 pm. I would also send a letter to tr landlord that his failure to do anything about it makes the apartment unliveable and you will be forced to break your lease without penalty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Draper, Utah
618 posts, read 2,643,445 times
Reputation: 502
Call the cops. Not joking. It's a violation to be loud any time of day if they are disturbing you. You could get a short term 6 month lease else where if you had to. I wouldn't stay there for 6 months if I had to listen to that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM
 
Location: New York
477 posts, read 1,297,769 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Call the cops. Not joking. It's a violation to be loud any time of day if they are disturbing you. You could get a short term 6 month lease else where if you had to. I wouldn't stay there for 6 months if I had to listen to that.

I agree. Keep calling the cops every time they are getting really loud. Maybe they are up to something like drugs or whatever and they won't want the cops snooping around there and will keep quiet. If they actually have the guts to say something about you calling the cops you tell them that you have asked them nicely to please keep the music to a normal level and they have ignored you or refused and that as long as they continue to be disruptive then you will continue to call the cops.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
 
242 posts, read 788,207 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I agree. Keep calling the cops every time they are getting really loud. Maybe they are up to something like drugs or whatever and they won't want the cops snooping around there and will keep quiet. If they actually have the guts to say something about you calling the cops you tell them that you have asked them nicely to please keep the music to a normal level and they have ignored you or refused and that as long as they continue to be disruptive then you will continue to call the cops.

I know they aren't doing drugs or anything like that. They're just obnoxious college guys. When I talked to them about it last they said something along the lines of me not being able to dictate when they can and can't do something. I have called the cops on them once during a loud party outside where the girls kept screaming. It went on until 2 in the morning and the cops never showed up. I called three times.

Do either of you know anything about this? One of the guys I talked to said that I couldn't call the cops on them because we're considered the same household rather than two separate apartments. I hadn't even mentioned anything to the cops but he threw that in my face right away. I've been gathering more proof of their lies to present to my landlord. I also happened to come across a Utah real estate fit premises act that states

(2) A renter may not:
(a) intentionally or negligently destroy, deface, damage, impair, or remove any part of the residential rental unit or knowingly permit any person to do so;
(b) interfere with the peaceful enjoyment of the residential rental unit of another renter; or

I know he can't kick me out because I do not have a single complaint against me and I have paid my rent on time every month for 5 years. I have been looking for a new place to live ever since these guys moved in but I haven't found much in my budget - the apartments I have found the owners didn't ever reply to my inquires.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
 
Location: New York
477 posts, read 1,297,769 times
Reputation: 297
I would bet anything that there are drugs and underage drinking going on if they are in college. Call the cops and say that there is underage drinking going on and if there is a party that people are leaving the house and getting in the car drunk. The guy who confronted you has a set of balls on him. Has this guy ever heard of people calling the cops on their relatives like in domestic violence? You can call the cops on anyone you want to and tell him unless he is paying your rent he is NOT part if your household. The underage drinking is going to be your trump card, and I would tell the landlord that they are having parties there and are they aware that if anything happens due to someone underage drinking on their property they will be in serious trouble. In NY I think it's called that host law, but I'm pretty sure there is something similar there.

If none of ths works, send a letter to the landlord stating that you can no longer live under these conditions and since they have done nothing about it you are moving out without penalty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM
 
242 posts, read 788,207 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I would bet anything that there are drugs and underage drinking going on if they are in college. Call the cops and say that there is underage drinking going on and if there is a party that people are leaving the house and getting in the car drunk. The guy who confronted you has a set of balls on him. Has this guy ever heard of people calling the cops on their relatives like in domestic violence? You can call the cops on anyone you want to and tell him unless he is paying your rent he is NOT part if your household. The underage drinking is going to be your trump card, and I would tell the landlord that they are having parties there and are they aware that if anything happens due to someone underage drinking on their property they will be in serious trouble. In NY I think it's called that host law, but I'm pretty sure there is something similar there.

If none of ths works, send a letter to the landlord stating that you can no longer live under these conditions and since they have done nothing about it you are moving out without penalty.

They aren't underage. And I'm still 99% certain that they aren't drinking as all of them are Mormon. Not that some Mormon's don't drink, this crew doesn't. I'd say that they're between the ages of 23-26 which is well old enough to no better than to act like total jerks. I actually emailed my landlord today to tell him that I wanted to talk and he responded that he's out of town for work and will call me when he's back in town. I hope to have more recorded sound evidence to present him with. I'll keep looking for an apartment in the mean time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Draper, Utah
618 posts, read 2,643,445 times
Reputation: 502
I'm so sorry Border Girl. Not that it would help completely, but you could always get a fan to run during the evenings to try to block out some of the sound. Could you not ask politely for one of them to come down stairs and listen to the noise level when it is at it's peak? I was once renting a basement apartment from a college aged guy who lived with roommates and owned the house. They had a REALLY loud surround sound system, and they would watch movies until like 1-2 in the morning every night. I finally asked if he would be willing to come downstairs and listen to how loud it sounded from my point of view. It got much better after that.

I find it sucky that they aren't even willing to apply the golden rule here. What if they were the ones downstairs and had to put up with all the noise and crap? Then to have someone be downright rude and say you have no right to tell them what to do? Seriously?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top