U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM

115 posts, read 304,003 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I am applying for residency opportunities for a one year term. I have an option at a state hospital in Provo and the VA and another hospital in Salt Lake City.

First - how would a family with 2 small kids and a gentle lab do with a budget of $1000-$1200, as cheap as possible is always better. We are willing to live in an apartment. We can send my dog to live with my parents if we have too. I am also willing to drive 30-40 minutes for my family. (My husband works from home). The main priorities for us are: safety, proximity to things that our children will enjoy (nearby park, playground, indoor pools, do they have rock climbing walls? Of course, being in that area I imagine alot of wonderful recreation is accessible and cheap (hiking, etc.).

I am trying to factor in how viable this move would be because it's REALLY far from our family - although we do have family in Denver. I am also actually deciding between SLC and Denver. My residency options are a better fit in SLC than Denver. We lived in the Denver area for 3 years, and found it to be really pricey rent/housing wise, but that was it - otherwise it was fairly reasonable.

The cost of living calculators are mixed. It looks like utilities are much better than where we live now. Taxes not so much. But then it's rent.

What are the best areas for young children? We homeschool our older child, but do love great homeschool communities, and our daughter will need a preschool.

Thanks so much for any thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area