Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times

Advertisements

Out here in NY hurricane Sandy has left us without power for a week. It won't likely be on for another week. The scenario was similar last year with Irene and the freak Oct bizzard. Toss in the odd Nor'easter and ice storm.... IOW, our generator gets lots of use. It can pretty much run everything so the worst inconvenience is no internet (though cell phone hot-spot helps with that).

Are there ever weather issues in SLC area that would make you happy to have a generator? Any reason to have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Once in the 11 yrs that I lived there we had an extended outage of 4,5? days in an older area. Due to freak wet snow storm taking down lines. I was without power for maybe 12 hrs. I have always had gas logs in the fireplace and a natural gas BBQ so I was warm enough and I could cook outside. I don't know anyone with a generator although I am sure people have them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,586 times
Bring it with you as it will be a "comfort" just like your snowblower! We are in East Millcreek and unlike Park City, all the power in my neighborhood is above ground. We have been here about 4 years and lose power at least 6 times a year. The duration has never been more than 18 hours but that was enough to sway me to buy a generator. Since you already have one, bring it along. Depending on your neighborhood, you will want it, if not, you will be able to sell it.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
Bring it.

Last year we had a terrible wind storm & were without power for 4 days. Our power lines are old & we often lose power a few times in the winter, usually for less than 2-3 hours.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
It depends on if you live in an area with above ground, or underground electric lines. Most new areas with underground utilities only rarely even go down for an hour or more, for maintenance. Old areas with above ground electric and phone service, can be another story.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
You can never be too prepared. I have a friend who has one, and they have lost power for a few days here and there when they had some pretty bad storms. They (and we who went to their home) were grateful for their generator.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
When you do decide to get a Generator for *Home* use,
1- consider the sound it generates during operation.
The one I have is a large industrial one, and you can not be close to it, unless you are a masochist !!!
That bloody bugger is louder than my lawnmower !
So I have to put that thing out on the patio away form the neighbours also.

2 - Consider the wattage you might need.
From your experience with brown-outs or complete loss of power for an extended time,
how many appliances do you need to keep running. (Refrigerator, Freezer, TV)
Each appliance has data that will tell you how many Watts it uses.
Add all of them up, add 25% and use that number as the lowest wattage generator you should invest in.
NOTE: since Refrigerators and Freezers are often in obscure places when it comes to unplugging it from the wall,
make some kind of plan on how to get them plugged into the Generator.
You can NOT just plug the output of the generator into the house system unless you create a switching circuit.

3 - Run the Generator at least for 10 minutes, each month to keep the fuel lines clear.
When you *need* it, it is too late to find out you can not start the bugger !

4 - Fuel:
Keep the generator fuel tank full and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabiliser.
Get the *GREEN* Stabil brand, NOT the red stuff. The green stuff is for the present gasoline which contains alcohol.
Find out how long you can run on a full tank of fuel, and then decide how much *more* you need to keep at hand,
from your previous experience of the time you were without power.
The extra amount of fuel you keep, should NOT be kept longer than 30 days at the present,
due to the alcohol content. Put the gasoline in your car, and then refill the container with *fresh* fuel.

As with all *emergency* supplies,
Store what you use, and Use what you store.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
I was doing some research on potentially moving to the SLC area, and registered just to say how right irman's answer is!

I ended up with a generator through work and it ended up being a huge headache. Keeping it guaranteed to start plus with quality fuel is a real pain in the backside. I sold mine in the big box hardware store parking lot during our last ice storm. It just wasn't worth it for a few days of use every couple years. Unless you are constantly out of power for multiple days I would recommend you develop other coping skills for no power.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
When you do decide to get a Generator for *Home* use,
1- consider the sound it generates during operation.
The one I have is a large industrial one, and you can not be close to it, unless you are a masochist !!!
That bloody bugger is louder than my lawnmower !
So I have to put that thing out on the patio away form the neighbours also.

2 - Consider the wattage you might need.
From your experience with brown-outs or complete loss of power for an extended time,
how many appliances do you need to keep running. (Refrigerator, Freezer, TV)
Each appliance has data that will tell you how many Watts it uses.
Add all of them up, add 25% and use that number as the lowest wattage generator you should invest in.
NOTE: since Refrigerators and Freezers are often in obscure places when it comes to unplugging it from the wall,
make some kind of plan on how to get them plugged into the Generator.
You can NOT just plug the output of the generator into the house system unless you create a switching circuit.

3 - Run the Generator at least for 10 minutes, each month to keep the fuel lines clear.
When you *need* it, it is too late to find out you can not start the bugger !

4 - Fuel:
Keep the generator fuel tank full and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabiliser.
Get the *GREEN* Stabil brand, NOT the red stuff. The green stuff is for the present gasoline which contains alcohol.
Find out how long you can run on a full tank of fuel, and then decide how much *more* you need to keep at hand,
from your previous experience of the time you were without power.
The extra amount of fuel you keep, should NOT be kept longer than 30 days at the present,
due to the alcohol content. Put the gasoline in your car, and then refill the container with *fresh* fuel.

As with all *emergency* supplies,
Store what you use, and Use what you store.
I've been at this for years, so I'm not new to the generator game. Mine is a 6kw unit that will run the whole house just fine, including well pump and oil furnace (no AC).

That said, point 1 is actually my main take-away. My unit is EXTREMELY loud. It sits in the driveway at the opposite end of the house and isn't too bothersome for anybody - but we're sitting on 2 acre lots so neighbors are far, far away. The closest is a couple hundred separated by woods, others are much farther and not even visible. In SLC area the same footprint (mine plus closest neighbor) would probably be 15, 20 or even 30 houses. I'm going to work on a better muffler. It's incredible to me that they make so little effort to make these things quieter.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
I forgot to add that one should plug a light into the generator during those monthly test runs. That thing may run, but you must make sure, it supplies the electricity needed !

@Kletter1mann: I also have *looked* into making mine quieter, but have not *really* pursued it.
Let me know with what you end up, some day .

I have a friend who lives in an apartment, and he bought a small Honda unit. You can barely hear that thing running, but it is a relatively small one.

IR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area