Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,960 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to the Salt Lake area soon to take a job south of Tooele. We are non-LDS, and have children in elementary school. Assuming we don't want to live in the town of Tooele, the closest area would seem to be northern Utah county; however, everything I've read suggests that's not a good place to go if you're not LDS. So, my next choice would be the Draper/Riverton area, and I'm seeking some information.

We previously lived in an LDS-majority town in SE Idaho for 8 years, and loved it, but I think we did two things right there: we were very active in our own church, and our neighborhood didn't have an LDS majority. We would like to take this same approach again, but when I turn on churches on google earth it seems like there's not much except LDS in the south end of Salt Lake county. I know there's lots of new housing there, and I keep reading that many outsiders are moving in, but my question is this: does the lack of other churches indicate that these are all LDS-dominated neighborhoods? Any info would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,711,610 times
I'm not as familiar with the demographic trends of that area as with my neighborhood, but I do think that the south part of the valley is more heavily LDS than right by Salt Lake City. In fact, Salt Lake City itself is definitely the most diverse city in the state if that's your ultimate criteria.

That said, I worked with a non-LDS lady who had just relocated to Draper from Ohio and she really likes it. She commented several times on how welcoming her neighbors had been. Of course, she is the ultra-outgoing type who never met anyone who she didn't consider an immediate friend.

As for the churches, the LDS Church conducts a very aggressive building program, so basically the Church buys land and builds churches as new subdivisions are being built. I doubt other denominations have the critical mass to do that in Utah which certainly means more diffused membership, longer distances to drive to the buildings, and longer times to build new churches. That's not to say that a lot of non-LDS aren't moving in there -- I just don't know.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,892 times
Default Re: Moving to Draper/Riverton

My husband and I recently moved from Draper to Bluffdale, Utah. We still own a house in Draper on the ridge of South Mountain. A few months ago, I learned that none of the board members of the homeowners association for our Draper house were LDS. That particular area seems to be one where people transfer from other states, remain a few years, then transfer to another location.

But while a lot of people moving to new homes in Draper are not LDS, Bluffdale, remains LDS dominant, and in fact, we live just up the street from a polygamist group.

You can't get away from LDS in Utah, although it is true that Salt Lake City's population is more than half non-LDS (or gentile, as they like to call us). In fact, a friend of mine, who is an artist and lives in the Avenues said that a national magazine--I've forgotten which one--voted SLC the most liberal city in the country a couple of years ago. Of course, wanting a non-LDS majority, is not the same as wanting a liberal city.

I have heard the Sugarhouse area is very diverse as well.

Hope this is helpful.

GQ

Old 11-14-2006, 09:33 AM

273 posts, read 1,244,184 times
I live in the south end of Salt Lake County. There are several non-LDS churches around but many, if not most, meet in stores, community centers, and even theaters. It seems there might not be large enough congregations to allow for building a complete church. But that is why your Google search does not show any non-LDS churches.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 PM

22 posts, read 78,491 times
Don't be afraid to live in a dominate LDS neighborhood. They are friendly, and their kids will most likely be the good kind that you want hanging out with your kids- don't drink, smoke, swear... (shouldn't, at least)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area