U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 AM

2,480 posts, read 6,765,140 times

Advertisements

My husband and I flew into SLC back in October, and stayed for a long weekend in Park City. I had to come home (), but he got to stay for another week in SLC for a conference. During our stay we fell in LOVE with Utah!! Literally, by the first night, I was ready to move. So after long discussions, and looking at various locations and states - we have decided that getting a second home in Utah in the SLC/Park City area is something we want to do. Due to my husband's job in the oil industry, a permanent move is not really in the books, at least not until retirement!

A little about us:
We currently live in Houston, Tx. I despise the summers and the humidity here. But we do live in a great community. I have never lived outside of Texas, but have lived in all the major cities within Texas. All of our family is located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Hubby works in the oil industry (both headquarters in the downtown office, and in the refinery). I am now a stay at home mom, but have my bachelor's in Nursing degree. We have 2 small children (almost 3 and 7yrs old). We like the outdoors, but would probably LOVE it if we had better weather.

We want to move to somewhere like UT to give our girls opportunities they can't get here. Skiing and hiking in the mountains. Good weather. Snow. The ability to have an outdoor life that's not in oppressive heat during the summer. We would like the ability to be near a lake or reservoir where we could rent a boat, jet ski, etc., but don't have to be ON the lake.

While we did fall in love with Park City, I would love some suggestions on other places to look at to live as well. We wouldn't be able to buy a place for several years (save up a down payment, etc). And I would ideally want to rent in a few places before we buy to make sure it's the right decision.

Renting out a second place is not top priority for us, but would like the option to do so (so would want it to be attractive to renters). I think because it would be a second home, and we would come down for long stretches periodically - living somewhere in town (probably a condo) would work best for us vs a single family home at this point.

Where would you suggest I research property to buy that would be a good fit for my family? Stay in Park City? Somewhere around SLC? FUrther out towards Midway or Herber?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM

617 posts, read 2,736,227 times
What is your price range? That is the make or break in the advice I would give you.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM

315 posts, read 907,261 times
I sent you a PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
What is your price range? That is the make or break in the advice I would give you.
Not sure at this point. I am targeting ~$500,000 as of right now. We are okay with fixer uppers. The location and views are what are most important to us.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM

835 posts, read 1,992,224 times
The property tax ramifications on a second home are big, relatively speaking. If it were me, I would spend half that and get a condo. Less tax and easier to rent /manage for part time residents...

Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM

617 posts, read 2,736,227 times
If your budget is 500,000, you could definitely go for a condo up in Park City. It is a more touristy place, and it will be easier to rent out when you are not there. You could probably get an older condo up there that needs updating for that price. It would be really expensive to have a full on second home to manage/upkeep/etc. Condo is your best bet

Another option would be Alta, Utah. They have some cute condos there, and it's not a far drive up the canyon from any amenities you might need. You can get a condo there for about 499,000 if you look. But if you are looking to buy 5 years from now... everything could be a lot more money by then.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

So far I've had comments about Odgen Valley, Atla, Park City, etc. Any other places?

And for now we are leaning toward condos.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM

835 posts, read 1,992,224 times
Just my opinion but I would skip Alta, to cold and snowy for me. I would also skip Ogden Valley and surroundings as most of the activity and "culture" is in the Salt Lake Valley.
I lived in Park City for awhile and have found there is much more to do and better weather to do "it" in down here in Salt Lake.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM

85 posts, read 278,423 times
I would also look at Heber and Midway. You could get more for your money than in Park City, be really close to things like x-country skiing, hiking, fishing and boating, but still able to make a quick drive up to Park City for downhill skiing, concerts, whatever.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 PM

26,305 posts, read 27,601,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyllie View Post
I would also look at Heber and Midway. You could get more for your money than in Park City, be really close to things like x-country skiing, hiking, fishing and boating, but still able to make a quick drive up to Park City for downhill skiing, concerts, whatever.
I second that. Either Heber or Midway sounds perfect for the OP to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area