U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,225 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a job in SLC and I'm nervous about accepting it. I visited the city last week and liked it but I'm a single 30 year old female and I'm worried/nervous about leaving friends and family. I've never lived away from home. Has anyone has a similar situation and loved it or regretted it and why? Is there a lot of young people and things to do? Are the people really different from east coasters? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 41,881 times
I'm in my early 30's and I moved to SLC from Virginia when I was 23. Ya, it's not the same here as on the East Coast, but I personally love it. My advise would be learn about Mormon culture, not necessarily join, but it's assumed you know about it if you live here. For example, in the mormon church, Bishop=Priest; Ward=Congregation; Stake=Parish; THE Church=Mormon Church. But if you love the outdoors it's crazy cool to live here. There is camping ALL over the state, Skiing/Boarding, tons of lakes and reservoirs, fishing, ATV trails and hiking, all that good stuff. If your a drinker, go out to a bar. If your single I wouldn't live in the 'burbs, it's mainly mormons(most won't date non mormons) and familes. But if you live in SLC proper there is a good bar and music scene, That's where I met most of my UT friends. If the only thing holding you back if fear than i'd say go for it. Worst case scenario you can always move back home.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

361 posts, read 719,013 times
Don't.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM

26,309 posts, read 27,663,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Don't.
I just love helpful, informative posts like this one.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 AM

1,033 posts, read 769,123 times
How close are you to your family, and how difficult will it be for you to move away from them? It's a nice area, but I moved here with my wife, so that helped ease my burden of moving away from the fam and out of a place I'd live my whole life. Just curious what sort of things you like to do?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 26,275 times
Don't +2

Considering you mentioned east coasters, this town is completely different.
Here's salt lake city in a nutshell. If you fit into one of these categories, move here. If not, for your own sake, look elsewhere.
1. Love outdoors (hardcore skiier, climber, mountain biker)
2. Mormon

If not either, look elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 45,245 times
Don't listen to the naysayers. Even people who aren't up in the canyons every weekend will find a community to love here. But you have to make the effort to find your niche. There's a strong counter-culture in Utah if that's your thing, and there is a huge variety of people, religions, cultures and tastes. We are not the same as the East Coast metropolis; this is a smaller metro area. But there's plenty to do, and you'll find a family away from family if you put yourself out there with activities and communicate with people from work, etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 AM

1,033 posts, read 769,123 times
The funny thing is I know several non-mormon lifers here who don't ski, fish, hike, etc, so I wouldn't completely rely on that analysis.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM

2,499 posts, read 6,689,703 times
Hmm..yes they are different from east coasters (I moved from there 18 years ago). I am not Mormon, nor do I or my family love the outdoors. We still love it here though.

What number on your list does that make me, Lookingtomove?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,666,583 times
The thing about relo'g to Salt Lake is the potential for quality of life gains. If you're into the outdoors, N. Utah cannot be beaten. Cost of living, real estate and a growing economy don't hurt either.

As for being single, I can't say, but generally the people are friendly and social. The valley has become more diversified drawing people from many different backgrounds. SLC does have a night-life, contrary to the reputation.

If you're not Mormon, I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned, SLC has become very diverse and you'll learn about local customs/politics over time. When I lived in SLC, no one tried to convert my faith, although I was extended a friendly invitation to the Bishop's meeting, which I politely turned down. This may not be the case in more rural Utah, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area