Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Salt Lake City from Michigan in the next few weeks. My job will be based from my home but I will also be flying out a lot to Southern California & Seattle. What are some good areas to live? We are in our mid 30's with no kids but want to live in an area that is close to shopping & restaurants (walkable would be great!) and close to a park/trail system. I'm an avid runner and I hate using a treadmill, even in the winter. I also bike a lot. We are non LDS but not crazy liberal either. I will be making around $72,000 a year and my wife plans on working as soon as she is able to find employment. We are not looking to buy but rent a small home, condo, townhouse or nice apartment. Nothing huge, no more than 1 or 2 bedrooms and 1,200 square feet max. Any suggestions? Areas to avoid? Any relocation experts I should contact? I've read that we may want to avoid Utah County being non LDS, is this true? Also, is Salt Lake City dog friendly? We are huge dog lovers and will be looking to adopt a new furry kid once we get settled.

Last edited by BigGriz; 03-03-2013 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Rent in Sugar House or The Avenues til you get to know the city. There are places where people walk over for brunch on the patio and tie the dog up just outside. Several fenced dog parks around the valley, one on the corner of 700 East and 1300 South.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I wouldn't say SLC is dog friendly, but there are several dog parks throughout the valley and I think there might be a few places where you can take your dog jogging with you up in the mountains. And I'd guess the 9th and 9th area might be a good fit--or some place on the east side of the city.

When searching for rental properties, guess the size/weight of your dog so that you can make sure your landlord will allow you to have one.

Here's a list to start looking for your fur baby.

Adopt a dog...

PetHarbor
Best Friends Animal Society
Community Animal Welfare Society (CAWS)
PetFinder

Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times
If you want walkable, your only options are Central City, Sugar House, and the lower Avenues. Sugar House is very nice, but it's a few intersections that comprise an island of walkability surrounded by sprawl. Aves and Central City are my choice. Look from 3rd Avenue to 1300 South and 500 East to 1300 East. You can find nice apartments or even a small house in your price range and that east side of SLC proper is safe and accessible to everything.

I've always considered SLC very dog-friendly. I have four and one or two are frequently with me around town when I run errands (in nice weather, anyway). In fact, the dog parks are sometimes run down because they are so popular and there are some ongoing efforts to get more of them put in.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
This might be a bit late, but in case you're still looking or someone else has the same question:

Try looking for a condo or apartment near Memory Grove/City Creek Canyon... the park is dog friendly and leads right to some mountain trails. Lots of people go trail running up the park, with or without furry friends, and there are some really popular biking paths right there as well. My husband, great dane, and I lived in the Park Capitol apartments for about a year, which is very dog friendly (no weight limit!), mostly non-LDS, and just a few blocks from the park, although it's a bit expensive for SLC (~$900 for a 1 bed) and does trend a bit college-studenty. We've since bought a house on the Avenues side of Memory Grove. The Memory Grove area is also right on the edge of downtown proper, so you'd be within short walking distance of lots of restaurants, City Creek Mall, and Trax (giving you easy access to the airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area