Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM

45 posts, read 154,816 times

Advertisements

I have been in Utah on and off since 2010. I think the state has some very, very nice areas that are incredible but there are some area's that are quite awful.

I have noticed a trend though of the more affluent, nice areas in the Wahsatch Range having some of the nicest, laid-back and outgoing people I have ever been around. I also have noticed that the lower-socio economic areas in the Wahsatch Range having some of the spiteful, nasty, rude people I have ever come across before.

I worked in Cottonwood Heights for a short period of time. I found the people to be very friendly, very out-going people who are curious about learning about others. I didn't find a bit of arrogance when it came to the population there. So many people have smile's on their faces and seemed so content.

I also find the same people in Farmington, Bountiful and Murray. The people are very good people who have good manners and I feel very comfertable being around them.

Back in February, I got a job in Ogden and live in the Roy area. I find the people here to be 180 degree's difference. 90% of the people have the worst manners, walk around like they are in a rage. Many of the people seem to on a whim get incredible amounts of tattoo's. I hear people scream at their kids constantly in public up here.

I read a study that Utah has the highest anti-depressent rate usage in the country among women, but it is mainly from extremely high anti-depressent usage rates in micro-areas of the state like Magna, West Valley and Weber county and Tooele causing that to be the case.

I also know when I was in Cottonwood Heights I never heard anyone bring up what they had and didn't have. In the Ogden and Roy area people usually talk about monetary and material posessions constantly.

I also see lots of binge eating in the lunchroom and people who literally can't go an hour with out a cigarette in the Ogden area but yet down in Cottonwood I never saw a co-worker smoke.

I have a co-worker from Tooele who said that many, many of the people there were extremely discontented with their lives.

Quite honestly, everywhere has gaps in a state where one city is friendlier then another. But here in Utah there seems to be a massive change from one area where you have some of the friendliest, down-to-earth people living not far from areas where some of the rudest residents you'll ever meet live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestecon View Post
I have been in Utah on and off since 2010. I think the state has some very, very nice areas that are incredible but there are some area's that are quite awful.

I have noticed a trend though of the more affluent, nice areas in the Wahsatch Range having some of the nicest, laid-back and outgoing people I have ever been around. I also have noticed that the lower-socio economic areas in the Wahsatch Range having some of the spiteful, nasty, rude people I have ever come across before.

I worked in Cottonwood Heights for a short period of time. I found the people to be very friendly, very out-going people who are curious about learning about others. I didn't find a bit of arrogance when it came to the population there. So many people have smile's on their faces and seemed so content.

I also find the same people in Farmington, Bountiful and Murray. The people are very good people who have good manners and I feel very comfertable being around them.

Back in February, I got a job in Ogden and live in the Roy area. I find the people here to be 180 degree's difference. 90% of the people have the worst manners, walk around like they are in a rage. Many of the people seem to on a whim get incredible amounts of tattoo's. I hear people scream at their kids constantly in public up here.

I read a study that Utah has the highest anti-depressent rate usage in the country among women, but it is mainly from extremely high anti-depressent usage rates in micro-areas of the state like Magna, West Valley and Weber county and Tooele causing that to be the case.

I also know when I was in Cottonwood Heights I never heard anyone bring up what they had and didn't have. In the Ogden and Roy area people usually talk about monetary and material posessions constantly.

I also see lots of binge eating in the lunchroom and people who literally can't go an hour with out a cigarette in the Ogden area but yet down in Cottonwood I never saw a co-worker smoke.

I have a co-worker from Tooele who said that many, many of the people there were extremely discontented with their lives.

Quite honestly, everywhere has gaps in a state where one city is friendlier then another. But here in Utah there seems to be a massive change from one area where you have some of the friendliest, down-to-earth people living not far from areas where some of the rudest residents you'll ever meet live.
I agree that there's a difference between areas, but I'm not 100% sure it falls along the lines of wealth. I'm just glad I live in Cottonwood Heights. Sounds like your experience with folks in my neck of the woods was positive. That's good to hear.

P.S. It's "Wasatch."

Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I'll be the first to poke holes in that argument.

I live in one of the "Nice areas" and while there are plenty of genuinely nice and laid-back people, I'd say the main goal of the upper class Utahans is to maintain that very appearance.

I'm not gonna be able to explain this without going into the LDS church, so please forgive me and don't take it as bashing, because it isn't... it's just culture.

First, most upper class areas in Salt Lake (except Park City maybe, the major haven here for out of state rich folks) are overwhelmingly LDS so it's no surprise you'd come to this conclusion!

The LDS way is to work hard and be successful but not be ostentatious, aloof or cultivate a superiority complex, so most people make special effort to fit that mold. There just isn't the same culture of showing off and "1 upmanship" as other well-to-do areas in the country.

There aren't as many truly fancy cars running around in those areas for example... that's not because people don't have the money for them but because it's not "proper" for a great, great grandson of a handcart pioneer who is on the bishopric to drive a Lamborghini. For a Mormon, "success" is keeping your life in balance, not flashing bling.

Reality is never quite as clean and pleasant, however. If you could "look past the veil" you'd see these people have all the same problems and "skeletons in the closet" as the rest of the world. If you could get past privacy concerns (most people don't advertise they are on "happy drugs") I'm sure you'd find even the upper class uses them in high numbers.

I don't know if this is really proof of anything but I had to buy it just because it was so damn funny!

Yes, that's a bottle of 70 proof Root Beer. Utah might be the only place it the world where you can get it! It's pretty good too!

Hell, even one of the SLC court Judges was arrested for distributing Oxycontin a month or so ago... and I'm pretty sure she wasn't pushing pills in Magna or Tooele!

Anyway, people put on a face wherever they are, and Utah is no exception. And to all my more "devout" mormon friends, come over and have a drink... I know plenty of you are taking your "cough medicine" too... even Nyquil is alcoholic, ya know!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
My experience is that people treat me pretty much the way I treat them - regardless of the city or area in Utah.

Bill

Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
usually when friendly measurements are made, our participation in the process and that of others very much like us, is utterly neglected. unfriendly places are not created overnight, it takes work and persistence. fortunately plenty of people around are more than willing to help. then they blame the lack of friendliness on their host.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM

62 posts, read 201,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestecon View Post

As a worker in the human services field and a student of statistical methodology, I'd be interested in reading this study, especially the part about the micro-areas affecting the macro area. Please tell me what journal it was published in, along with the date of publication. Thank you in advance for this information.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
Where do you work in Ogden? I agree and work there too. It so depends on where you are at. Some places in Ogden are quite nice like everything SE of Harrisson for example.

I don't think we should bring religion into this. LDS people can be just as rude depending where they live.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post

I don't think we should bring religion into this. LDS people can be just as rude depending where they live.
I agree. Religion has no bearing on rudeness or friendliness. They can be equally as rude or as friendly as the next person because LDS people are just that...people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area