Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times

Advertisements

First, I admit I haven't done much research on this. My bad. Anyway, last winter I noted that dogs seemed to be banned from some (many? all?) of the major trails off LCC and BCC. The reason, I guess, is because the runoff ends up in the SLC water supply. I also had people tell me it's not cool to pee in the woods at AltaBird for the same reason - the only ski areas in the world that I've heard of with a no-pee-in-the-woods ethos.

Can anybody briefly summarize what the dog story is along the Wasatch Front? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
Some good info here:

Utah Dog Parks

Bill

Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
Watershed purity is the reason for no dogs and no peeing ehile you are skiing in the woods too. Alta and the Bird along with Brighton and Solitude all have signs asking us to behave when it comes to using the restrooms. I know where all the bathrooms are at the CC resorts and use them M-F from November through April and my ski husbands do too. You may feel differently when you get moved about keeping the watersheds as clean as possible.
Millcreek Canyon has an odd/even dog policy as that water is not used for culinary purposes nor is Emigration Creek-yet.
As you have posted previously, we are in a desert with finite resourses and I imagine before I am dead, that Millcreek and Emigration will both be harnessed for the growing masses...I will hate that for my nice little patio creekfront reading spot....

Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Watershed purity is the reason for no dogs and no peeing ehile you are skiing in the woods too. >>>snip<<<
Millcreek Canyon has an odd/even dog policy as that water is not used for culinary purposes nor is Emigration Creek-yet.
Thanks much. Makes sense for #2, which can have all kind of bad stuff. Makes much less sense for urine, however, which is sterile (unless the organism has serious medical problems) and is consumed very fast by the environment if there's any moisture.

Anyway, back to dogs. Is there a no-dogs policy everywhere in the SLC watershed or Forest Service land? Or are there places that dogs are OK? How to look this up?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
Http://backcountrypost.com/forum/thr...s-in-utah.239/

I am not very sophisticated in the cut/paste business but I googled "dog friendly in Utah Canyons" if the the link I posted above doesn't work as well as I intended...

Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
I do not know much about the official policies, as we do not own a dog. However, in our hikes - Bonneville shoreline trail on either side of emigration canyon as well as the various hiking trails - we come across dogs and dog owners frequently. Both are typically well behaved. Some keep the dogs on leash (which is preferred from our point of view, but perhaps not dogs') but most are unleashed. So, it hardly seems cut and dried.

One thing you might want to look into is to get your dog vaccine against rattlesnake bites as well as some training in avoiding them. That does seem to be an issue, and such training exists. If you find good training for humans, share as I'd not mind it attending it either

Old 05-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Http://backcountrypost.com/forum/thr...s-in-utah.239/

I am not very sophisticated in the cut/paste business but I googled "dog friendly in Utah Canyons" if the the link I posted above doesn't work as well as I intended...
Great link, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area