U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM

160 posts, read 424,879 times

Advertisements

I live in Grand Rapids, MI and the jobs are not good here. Manufacturing is about all there is. We are better than East MI but still not all that great. I am going to be graduating with my Associates in Accounting in 2014. I intend to look for an entry level Accounts Receivable/Payable or Bookkeeping gig while getting a bachelor's online in either Accounting, Finance, or some field like that. I am looking at a few metros around the nation based on low unemployment.

I'm considering either Omaha or Des Moines, they are closer to home and have strong diversified economies, low unemployment, and a strong financial services sector (esp. Des Moines).

I've also considered New Hampshire as it seems to be doing well.

West TX is on my radar (Amarillo and Lubbock). The weather seems to be better there but I think most jobs there are probably oil or agricultural related, not a strong financial services sector.

SLC by contrast has a very strong sector in finance and banking especially, low unemployment etc.

Are there really a lot of finance and banking jobs available there? What about entry level for an associates looking at a bachelor's. I know it will not pay as much and only be in AP/AR but a job's a job.

How expensive is it?

How big is the "Mormon factor?" I do not think Mormons are bad in fact I like them, but I will not ever become one because I simply don't believe in it. I'm sure I'd get along though. However my main concern is that there will be a good old boys' network that will shut me out of jobs because I'm not part of the LDS community. Here in West MI such a network exists, however among rich Dutch Calvinists, and it is one of the reasons I am leaving. The few Mormons I've seen are generally nice and outgoing, and are probably actually less insular than West MI Dutch Calvinists b/c of missions etc. but it is a concern.

What is the climate like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area