U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM

512 posts, read 962,365 times

Advertisements

I just came back from visiting SLC and wanted to know which is better Daybreak in South Jordan or 9th and 9th/east SLC?

This is my first time visiting the the Mountain West and dont know all of the little neighborhoods like 900 and 900 and to the east up the hill.

I visited both and found them to be quite a contrast. new v. old, seemly liberal v. seemly conservative, religious v. nonreligious, suburb v. city. Which is more expensive?, more popular? has better schools? Lower crime? sense of community? Which do you prefer?

I am genuinely interested as an outsider to learn what people really like about both and dislike about both.

Last edited by stuckinsj; 06-03-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 PM

26,049 posts, read 27,238,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
I just came back from visiting SLC and wanted to know which is better Daybreak in South Jordan or 9th and 9th/east SLC?

This is my first time visiting the the Mountain West and dont know all of the little neighborhoods like 900 and 900 and to the east up the hill.

I visited both and found them to be quite a contrast. new v. old, seemly liberal v. seemly conservative, religious v. nonreligious, suburb v. city. Which is more expensive?, more popular? has better schools? Lower crime? sense of community? Which do you prefer?

I am genuinely interested as an outsider to learn what people really like about both and dislike about both.
Well, I've lived in the Salt Lake City area all my life (I'm old ) and I've never lived in either Daybreak or 9th and 9th. To me, a huge deciding factor would be the age of the neighborhood. I have always preferred newer homes to older homes, even if the older homes have been upgraded. For that reason, Daybreak would definitely get my vote over 9th and 9th. Now, just to keep things interesting... 9th and 9th is a whole lot closer to downdown Salt Lake City. I would not want to have to commute to downtown Salt Lake City every day. If you are going to be working near Daybreak, that's one thing. If you're not, well... it will be quite a drive. (Now that I think about it, I probably haven't told you anything you haven't already figured out on your own. )

Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,140,818 times
I prefer houses with character and fenced yards. Just on that alone, I prefer 9th and 9th. Also, I prefer close to downtown and more liberal, less religious, less kids. Again, a no-brainer.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM

One more thing to consider is that daybreak has light rail while 9th and 9th area does not. I guess you could bike to downtown from 9th and 9th though or take light rail from other eastside neighborhoods. And i did see houses with fenced in yards in daybreak.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,675,765 times
I love old houses but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Daybreak. 9th and 9th is no New Orleans or Detroit, but crime is much higher there compared to Daybreak where 99% of "Crimes" are HOA violations.

No wait... that in and of itself is a good reason to stay out of Daybreak!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 AM

5,115 posts, read 15,977,958 times
If I had a family to raise, Daybreak. If I were single or childless, 9th & 9th. Of course there are many other factors to consider, but as a generality, that's how I view those two areas.

Neither of those 2 choices suit my needs/likes. I would like new construction, and no small kids around me.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM

I saw apartments and condos in daybreak as well as a 55+ retirement section.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 PM

26,049 posts, read 27,238,011 times
If you can afford it, the area known as 15th and 15th is similar in atmosphere to 9th and 9th. If the asking price for homes is any indicator, it's a nicer area, though.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM

yeah, its quite a hike up the hill. It must be really good for the views alone.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 93,545 times
The two are completely different as you've discovered, but if you want a family friendly environment, Daybreak is the better of the two. We looked at Daybreak, but the community felt too stepford wives like, and HOA horror stories we heard kept us from moving there. We ended up going a bit further south and are in Saratoga Springs. There is enough diversity around that we don't feel like we have to be Mormon to make friends. Everyone in the community (LDS and non-LDS) are very friendly and open minded, and we get the good schools and nicer newer house we were looking for. It's cheaper down in Utah county too, compared to similar lots/houses in Salt Lake County. There are a lot of aspects to consider, it just depends what's really most important to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area