Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,422 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are recently got jobs working through americorps VISTA in the SLC area. I will be working for the Road Home in North SLC and she will be working for Webster State University in Ogden.

We are looking to rent somewhere in between south ogden and North SLC. We're young and like to hike, go to parks, and are not religious. We are hoping to end up in a community that would be similar in our age range and interests as well as feasible for our small budget (700 dollars a month max).

Have been looking at a ton of rentals but having a hard to accessing whether or not the area would be the right fit for us. Hoping to get some feedback on areas that would be comfortable and affordable for twenty somethings. Planning on flying out to check out a bunch of rentals the 2nd week of july so advice on which areas that would be a good fit so we can concentrate our search efforts there would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scott Sivola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,955,107 times
What areas have you been looking at? It might be a little easier for us to narrow down your long list into a shorter list of better areas because there are a LOT of areas in between NSL and the Odgen area that might work for you.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM

62 posts, read 200,836 times
I didn't know there was a Road Home shelter in North Salt Lake. The one I'm familiar with is pretty much right downtown in SLC and if that's where AmeriCorp is placing you, it may be a longer commute than you expect.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,422 times
RockRat. the one I will be working for is in downtown SLC, sorry for the inaccurate information. i understand my commute may be a bit more than a simple walk, was hoping to divide the commute my girlfriend and I have to take since she will be working up in ogden.

I am hoping that we could both have a similar commute of around 15 to 20 mins but was unsure if the communities of bountiful, farmington, layton, etc would have a good fit for us. Just afraid of finding a good middle ground for the commute and ending up in suburbia. I've read that liberty park, sugar house, Marmalade, and the avenues are cool places for young, hip people. Wondered if you knew of any more young outdoorsy, hip, communities outside of downtown, in between North SLC and Ogden?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM

762 posts, read 2,112,215 times
For young, fun, unmarried people, you'll really want to stay in SLC. In many regards, Ogden has a good scene for young people with music, nightlife, etc., but it pales in comparison to Salt Lake. Both have excellent access to hiking.

The areas in between SLC and Ogden, however, are very family oriented and tend to be more religious and conservative (especially Davis County). I wouldn't think you'd be happy, from what you've said about yourselves, in the smaller suburb communities between the two cities.

I'd pick one or the other, probably SLC, and your girlfriend will have to commute to Weber. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds--the FrontRunner commuter rail from SLC to Ogden is great, many students take it, and the station is literally 2 blocks west of The Road Home where you'll be working.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 PM

85 posts, read 154,899 times
There are a lot of new apartments in Sugarhouse to handle increasing enrollment at Westminster College and the University of Utah, and plenty of newer buildings downtown. In the Avenues, you'd be looking at older housing stock, with possible higher utility bills -- but the odds of finding a place with more character are better. (My son and his partner live in the Lower Avenues and work downtown.)

If you're not going to bring a vehicle, you'll want to check to see how late the buses/light rail run on your route home; TRAX pretty much stops running at midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area