Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 AM

56 posts, read 147,778 times

Advertisements

I know, two vastly different areas but, we are leaning towards those two for different reasons
About us:
- Ethnically diverse family with two kids (5 year old and 7 month old)
- Not LDS (I am Jewish but not religious and hubs is agnostic)
- liberal, currently living in Los Angeles
- Currently live in a master planned community called Playa Vista and love it.
- moving because my husband got a job in UT and currently commutes (M-W in UT, Thurs-Sund in Cali)
- looking to continue this commute for now and relocate June 2014
- Ok to spend 800K+ But would LOVE to be able to build a brand new home for less

Everything points to Park City in general except:
- we love the master planned community feel and the option to 'build' a new house for a decent price
- Hubs works in American Fork. Though to be quite honest he is ok with that commute as it pales in comparison to LA commutes/traffic. We just got done visiting Park City for 2 weeks where he commuted and he was completely fine with it. (I know winter will be tougher.)

- Schools Districts are not a concern as we will most likely doing private (Rowland or MGillis)

Daybreakers please speak up! Tell me why you love it!
- Is there swim team, gymnastics, martial arts (what my son is into)
- Is there a whole foods in/near daybreak?

Park City peeps please speak up! Tell me why you love it!

btw, when we visited Park City we loved it and everyone there said that we DID NOT want to be in daybreak...
But then I go on the daybreak website and LOVE the community that's being built there (and the new homes)
So conflicted...
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Well since you've already stated your enjoyment of the master planned community thing, and that your other half works in American Fork, it's just about a no brainer. A commute from Park City to American Fork would be brutal on a good day and absurd during the winter months. Activities, community and schools in the Daybreak community abound by design pretty much. Shopping is very close by as are some unique new eclectic shops in their on site shopping plaza in Daybreak called "SoDa Row". There is a University Hospital hub there as well. Not to mention a hub for the new Trax train. Sounds like a Park City move would be anything BUT convenient, and the price range you quoted as acceptable will get you nearly anything you could possibly want in a home right there. Out of shear sensibility in this case I'd say Daybreak by far makes the most sense.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Daybreak is definitely the best new big development in the area; it's well designed and I really like the "vibe" of the place, even though the planned "downtown" is a bit of a flop (it's kind of a surreal futuristic looking ghost town at the moment; everyone goes to The District east of Daybreak to shop. ).

The bad thing about it is that it's just not in the best place; it's just a couple miles from the county dump and the world's largest open pit mine (to the West) and the wind usually blows from West to East. If Kennecott ever stopped soaking their tailings piles daily, the area would become eveloped in dust. Last time I was down there the lake was absolutely FULL of seagulls from the dump too. I've never lived there but I keep hearing the HOA there is a bit gung-ho and petty as well.

So, it wouldn't be all kittens and lollypops, but then again... where can you live that is?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Well since you've already stated your enjoyment of the master planned community thing, and that your other half works in American Fork, it's just about a no brainer. A commute from Park City to American Fork would be brutal on a good day and absurd during the winter months. Activities, community and schools in the Daybreak community abound by design pretty much. Shopping is very close by as are some unique new eclectic shops in their on site shopping plaza in Daybreak called "SoDa Row". There is a University Hospital hub there as well. Not to mention a hub for the new Trax train. Sounds like a Park City move would be anything BUT convenient, and the price range you quoted as acceptable will get you nearly anything you could possibly want in a home right there. Out of shear sensibility in this case I'd say Daybreak by far makes the most sense.
Not quite a "no brainer" as we love Park City as well and, as stated, the commute was NOTHING for my husband. 45min to an hour on open road (which he experienced 2 weeks straight) is 10 times better than a commute in Los Angeles that should take 20 minutes but takes over an hour because of the horrendous traffic.
And, 50/50 LDS (daybreak- please correct me if I'm wrong), will be quite a different experience for us than Park City that is a lot less, without a huge LDS temple smack dab in the middle.

I was really hoping for some non-LDS Daybreakers to speak of the last sentence and let me know, if it's been an ok experience for their children.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Daybreak is definitely the best new big development in the area; it's well designed and I really like the "vibe" of the place, even though the planned "downtown" is a bit of a flop (it's kind of a surreal futuristic looking ghost town at the moment; everyone goes to The District east of Daybreak to shop. ).

The bad thing about it is that it's just not in the best place; it's just a couple miles from the county dump and the world's largest open pit mine (to the West) and the wind usually blows from West to East. If Kennecott ever stopped soaking their tailings piles daily, the area would become eveloped in dust. Last time I was down there the lake was absolutely FULL of seagulls from the dump too. I've never lived there but I keep hearing the HOA there is a bit gung-ho and petty as well.

So, it wouldn't be all kittens and lollypops, but then again... where can you live that is?
Thanks Chango!
Funny there always seems to be something weird about planned communities. The concern with the one I'm living in was Methane, and the one we thought we were going to move to in Denver was built right next to a Jail.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
OK so I was trying to be nice. So I'll take the gloves off now. I live in Herriman (DayBreak's neighbor to the South). I happen to be Jewish and am a practicing Hebrew (a Jewish Believer in Messiah). I'm the ONLY non LDS person in my neighborhood I know of with the exception of my non religious neighbor. The places not unlike Daybreak and Herriman are positively crawling with kids from 1 to teenage. I may not be able to speak for Daybreak but the one's in Herriman are well spoiled. They are out in the streets till very late hours unsupervised. The schools system on all of the West (Jordan School District) is busting at the seams and are about to levy a 2 BILLION doller tax bond. The schools from what I hear in the Jordan District are nothing like the scholastic levels of the Park City school district. If you like more wide open spaces, quiet and clean air then indeed Park City would be your safer bet. I noted Chango mentioned Kennecott waters down their tailings....got news for ya, when the wind kicks up if it isn't raining it ends up everywhere. My windows wear it year around. It didn't sadden me in the least when I heard they were cutting back and halting their operations in the mine till they clean up their cave in. The air quality has been better than usual as a result. Indeed the horrible smell of the dump graces the area near Daybreak as well as the North end of Herriman as well on many days. There is NO question if I had the opportunity to do it all over this would NOT have been my choice to live in this end of the Valley. 10 years ago when we built it seemed like a great opportunity. Now it is like everything else in Utah. An overbuilt mega community busting at the seams with more overbearing taxes on the way. So what's new

Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
OK so I was trying to be nice. So I'll take the gloves off now. I live in Herriman (DayBreak's neighbor to the South). I happen to be Jewish and am a practicing Hebrew (a Jewish Believer in Messiah). I'm the ONLY non LDS person in my neighborhood I know of with the exception of my non religious neighbor. The places not unlike Daybreak and Herriman are positively crawling with kids from 1 to teenage. I may not be able to speak for Daybreak but the one's in Herriman are well spoiled. They are out in the streets till very late hours unsupervised. The schools system on all of the West (Jordan School District) is busting at the seams and are about to levy a 2 BILLION doller tax bond. The schools from what I hear in the Jordan District are nothing like the scholastic levels of the Park City school district. If you like more wide open spaces, quiet and clean air then indeed Park City would be your safer bet. I noted Chango mentioned Kennecott waters down their tailings....got news for ya, when the wind kicks up if it isn't raining it ends up everywhere. My windows wear it year around. It didn't sadden me in the least when I heard they were cutting back and halting their operations in the mine till they clean up their cave in. The air quality has been better than usual as a result. Indeed the horrible smell of the dump graces the area near Daybreak as well as the North end of Herriman as well on many days. There is NO question if I had the opportunity to do it all over this would NOT have been my choice to live in this end of the Valley. 10 years ago when we built it seemed like a great opportunity. Now it is like everything else in Utah. An overbuilt mega community busting at the seams with more overbearing taxes on the way. So what's new
Yikes! I really appreciate your honest opinion.. which is really what I'm looking for. No need to try to be nice

Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 19,303 times
Hi Kaizmama! I have nothing of real value to add but wanted to say hi. Our family is making the big move in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you plan any more trips to the PC area before you move! Also maybe I can help you with your decision after I get settled.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Default thanks

Sounds good! looking forward to it...
We should be in PC first week of November.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 19,327 times
Hi Kaizmama,

We moved to Park City from the East Coast last year. I have never been to Daybreak, but here's some info on Park City.

- we have been very happy with the public schools. beautiful physical facilities, responsive and skilled staff, great resources for the kids (i.e. free mac air for each 6th grader to use at home, smart board in every classroom, mac's in the classroom, musical instruments, etc). maybe you could save the $ and transportation hassle of private school and go public.
- you will have many nice neighborhoods to choose from in the $800K range i.e. Jeremy Ranch, Ranch Place, Silver Spring, Pinebrook. I'm not sure about building a home for that price, I don't have info on that.
- this town is one big playground for kids and adults. there is a great swim team and aquatic facility at Ecker Middle School,karate clubs, gymnastics places. whatever you need.
- there is a Whole Foods in Park City. and one Trader Joe's about 30 minutes from Park City in SLC
- we have found the town to be as liberal/progressive as the east coast. but not a lot of racial/ethnic diversity. I believe that the public schools are 25% hispanic, and a well-regarded dual language program (both Spanish and French) is offered for incoming K students.
- the alcohol rules here are very odd

you should also check if the inversion problem is a factor in Daybreak. it hasn't been an issue in Park City. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area